77/22 barrel alignment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chukar

Bearcat
I've got a older 77/22 with what appears to be a mis-aligned barrel. It shoots tight groups but consistently to the left. I thought the stock was warped and the scope goofed up, but after closer assessment it looks more like the barrel isn't quite square to the action. I've shimmed it at the front of the stock and this seems to solve the problem from a practical standpoint. Anyone ever see this and is it fixable? Thanks!

Snake45

Hawkeye
chukar":2po3muvz said:
I've got a older 77/22 with what appears to be a mis-aligned barrel. It shoots tight groups but consistently to the left.
If you have a 77/22 that shoots tight groups anywhere, just adjust your scope and be happy! :wink:

JimHnSTL

Single-Sixer
could the barrel be bent by chance?
i would have it checked out. if it is not square to the action and is a factory defect, ruger will fix it for free if you give them a chance.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Snake45":11wph6dz said:
chukar":11wph6dz said:
I've got a older 77/22 with what appears to be a mis-aligned barrel. It shoots tight groups but consistently to the left.
If you have a 77/22 that shoots tight groups anywhere, just adjust your scope and be happy! :wink:

Snake, I have one from 1998 that shoots groups under one third 1/3
of an inch with almost any ammo I feed it and this is at 75 yards as
well, and NOOOOOOOOOOOO, it isn't for sale!!

Snake45

Hawkeye
45flattop":1zjno9s8 said:
Snake45":1zjno9s8 said:
chukar":1zjno9s8 said:

Yeah, rub it in. :evil:

TBear77

Single-Sixer
The decision I would make would depend on wether the front of the action or the barrel sholder isn't true.

If the action is the problem, send it back to Ruger.

If the barrel is the problem, you can get a factory take-off barrel from Clark Custom for about $25 (CM) or $40 (SS). The only downside here would be the replacement barrel may not shoot as tight as you'r current one.

Ted

mattsbox99

Hunter
Just adjust the scope...

All three of mine shoot pretty well, both the .22LR and .22 WMR are under 1/2" at 50 yards and under 1" at 100 yards. My Hornet shoots about 1.5" at 100 yards, but I haven't played with it much.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Snake45":1b1aitqt said:
45flattop":1b1aitqt said:
Snake45":1b1aitqt said:
chukar":1b1aitqt said:

Yeah, rub it in. :evil:

Not trying to rub it in Snake, I have heard on other forums how
inaccurrate the 77/22 is, the Rimfire Central one in particular, I
just thought that I'd point out that not all of them are. I finally
had to post several targets over there as pictures with witness
signatures and dates and kinds of ammo for the elite custom
very high dollar 22 rifle types would believe me. I wonder what
accounts for the frequent reports of inaccuracy in that model.
I personally don't think that you can find half the gun for nearly
the same money either, by the way, I have a Leupold EFR 3-9x33
scope on mine, with the rimfire thin wire duplex reticle on it,
its not advertised as a rimfire parallax corrected scope but the
EFR feature does that nicely.

chukar

Bearcat
I tried to adjust the scope (an old Leupold 4x) and it won't correct far enough right to center the point of aim. It looks like there is a very small gap on the right where the barrel mates with the front of the action, which makes me wonder if the barrel is incorrectly mounted. I'll call Ruger and see what they say. Thanks for everyone's help.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
chukar,

Try taking the stock off and check the v-block to see if it has a loose screw. If one (or both) were loose that may be where your issue is.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Noted the comment on the 77/22, just had to add my experience. I shot indoor Silhouette for several years with it along side guys shootin' Anschutz (not saying they are in the same league, but consider the price...!!! Actually always wanted one of those, just never did it), and competed very very well. I modified the gun after a while by adding a Volquartsen Bull barrel (looking for the weight) and having the trigger reworked, using the walnut stock it came with and WOW.

I also shot a fully stock (Trigger reworked) 77/22 RS during that time and it too did very well. Both would shot a very UN jagged hole at 50 ft with Remington target on a rest (indoor distance). Both get after the 'ole ground squirrel these days out to 75+ yards, and there are a few who wish they had never met my 77/22. Both scoped of course and early, in the 700 prefix range..

Hey, I suspect you can get a lemon in any make, but my experience is the 77/22 does a fine job in the accuracy dept.