77/17

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bought an older blue w/skeleton synthetic stock at auction and took it out for a trial. It was supposed to be as new and showed to have been fired a few times but no handling marks or mars. Cleaned the bore and mounted a budget model 3-9x40 scope for starters. I had a carton of Hornady 17 grain v-max ammo so that is what I used. Definitely a good experience. With a higher mag scope, I'm sure it would hit a fly at 100 yards. Literally shoots as good as the scope allows me to hold. Going to give it a try on some pdogs if I can find some in Colorado this summer. Any opinions on how often these need to be cleaned?

lovemyruger2010

Bearcat
I have no clue on how often to clean it. I would say just as much as a .22LR. Every couple hundred rounds or so. I do know I want a model 77/17 very very bad. I have watched a lot of videos on utube of guys shooting these .17 hmr's. DEADLY ACCURATE!!!

WMB30

Single-Sixer
LMR2010

As for cleaning the 17 HMR, ask a bunch of shooters and you will get a bunch of different opinions.
Most of my shooting is the Belding squirrel. Starting with a clean chamber and bore I'll shoot 50 or so rounds and if things slow up I'll clean, if not I will shoot to a hundred rounds or so then clean.
My cleaning is simply pulling a patch wet with Eezox followed by a couple dry patches. I use a patchworm.
Make sure you keep the chamber clean using whatever it takes, especially if you were to shoot an automatic.
I have put several thousand rounds through my barrel and it has NEVER had a brush in it and remains moa. HEY I have nothing against brushes I use them when ever needed on my other guns and that's most often.
That is what I do. YMMV

CAUTION: Make sure your cleaning equipment and material (patches) are of the correct size for the ".17HMR" More than a few have stuck and or broken off stuff in that bore.
Bill

Snake45

Hawkeye
Fully half the 77/22 (LR) owners posting at RimfireCentral.com are complaining about the accuracy (including me), but the .22MAG versions seem to shoot quite well, and I don't think I've yet read the first unhappy report about 77/17 accuracy. Congratulations! :wink:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
WMB30":14nwt3nj said:
LMR2010

As for cleaning the 17 HMR, ask a bunch of shooters and you will get a bunch of different opinions.
Most of my shooting is the Belding squirrel. Starting with a clean chamber and bore I'll shoot 50 or so rounds and if things slow up I'll clean, if not I will shoot to a hundred rounds or so then clean.
My cleaning is simply pulling a patch wet with Eezox followed by a couple dry patches. I use a patchworm.
Make sure you keep the chamber clean using whatever it takes, especially if you were to shoot an automatic.
I have put several thousand rounds through my barrel and it has NEVER had a brush in it and remains moa. HEY I have nothing against brushes I use them when ever needed on my other guns and that's most often.
That is what I do. YMMV

CAUTION: Make sure your cleaning equipment and material (patches) are of the correct size for the ".17HMR" More than a few have stuck and or broken off stuff in that bore.
Bill
This about sums it up. :wink:
Good reply.
Terry
JMHO

contender

Ruger Guru
Snake,, I have both a M77/22 & a M77/17. Both of mine shoot just fine. I used a friends M77/22 in turkey shoots,, (his had open sights,) to win a lot. I've never had in my hands any M77 rimfire that wasn't accurate. Just my experience.

Snake45

Hawkeye
contender":fa72g1ph said:
Snake,, I have both a M77/22 & a M77/17. Both of mine shoot just fine. I used a friends M77/22 in turkey shoots,, (his had open sights,) to win a lot. I've never had in my hands any M77 rimfire that wasn't accurate. Just my experience.
Good for you. My 77/22V is consistently beat in accuracy by my CZ 452, and even an old Remington 581 and Winchester 69A come DARN close to it in accuracy. I love everything about the gun except its plywood stock and its lack of grouping ability. Glad you got a good one, though.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Contender isn't the only one. Both my 77/22 LR and Mag are still in my safe because they are way more accurate than my 77/17 was. It is long gone now. I tried every make of ammo and it wouldn't do any better than 3-4 inch groups at 100 (most were worse than that). So after umpteen brands of ammo and trying 3 different scopes , I gave up on it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Okay, so now I've read a bad accuracy report on a 77/17. There's a first time for everything. :wink: