75 Rounds 38+P through a LCR solution....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blueduck

Bearcat
I really like my LCR, and I even like my Crimson Trace grips for short sessions at the range. However with a 75 round qualification coming up in cold weather.. call me a wimp, but I was just half way dreading that part of it for the small gun on my card (I also keep a Glock 23 as my "big" concealed gun)

So my solution was swapping the, LCRx 3" grips to my little gun.

Yeah you lose the pocket carry aspect totally, but even with the big grips conceals fine on belt under a suit coat or jacket which I nearly always wear at work anyway, and it is still SO LIGHT, it really feels like carrying nothing at all even on a dress belt. Turned out the weight was really more of the issue than the size at least at the end of those 10 hour days. The comfort level in shooting the little LCR with the big grips vs hard crimson trace grips with 38 +P's is absolute night and day.

Ed Lovette once wrote a great book called "The Snubby Revolver" where he praised small guns with big grips for retention, easy drawing, and shootibility. While I miss the just drop in pocket utility aspect, this little experiment has made me think he was onto something there.

Just thought I'd share! :)

rob-c

Single-Sixer
mine and the wife's lcr 38's are very comfy to shoot with the factory tamer grips, but I have read others say that the crimson trace grips are hard. good idea though..

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have the .357 LCR and I find it to be very comfortable for extended sessions with the factory grip, with .38 ammo...but haven't tried the Crimson grip on it.

This is my variation on the same theme. A 642 with a Hogue Monogrip replacing the Crimson 105 grips that I had put on it...still goes in the pocket as it is a very thin grip.

1231132334a_zpsd7f2dba1.jpg

Black Dog

Bearcat
Will Ruger sell the 3 in LCRx grips separately? I would like to do what the OP did, put those grips on my 23/8 LCR 38 special. Black Dog

wolfee

Blackhawk
Blackdog, go here:

http://shopruger.com/Hogue-LCRx-and-LCR-3-Tamer-Grip/productinfo/19947/

As of this posting they show out of stock, I suspect about half of the world is looking to buy a set.

feets

Bearcat
Why were you shooting +p?

38 spl is more than enough and easier on the shooter.

Blueduck

Bearcat
feets said:
Why were you shooting +p?

38 spl is more than enough and easier on the shooter.

Not my choice. I work for a State parole Agency, I get to pick my gun (from a list of approved choices) but they pick and provide the ammo.

Blueduck

Bearcat
That's kind of funny because I've got a LCR22 ordered and inbound, and planning to put my CT grips on it. :)

Sort of makes sense as the Hi Viz sights on my LCR38 work great, and but they don't make aftermarket of the proper height for the LCR22.

Black Dog

Bearcat
Thanks for the info. I ordered the LCRx 3 in grips directly from Hogue. They were $26.95 vs. $29.95 from Ruger (out of stock). Go figure. Black Dog