700X and 38 Special WadCutters

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I loaded up some 38's over the weekend, and I haven't used any 700x in a while, so I got it out. I started looking for loading data on 38's and Universal. I came across and old thread here in the RugerForum from about 10 years ago. It started out fine, but turned into a very heated debate about Lee powder spoons for weighing a charge, vs using a scales. It went on and on for about 6 pages I think.

So not much on Universal and 38's there.

Moving on to 700x and 38's. I've used it before with pretty good success. Before I used 158 grain round nose bullets, This time it was 148 grain wad cutters. I did manage to test them, and the 700x lives up to my expectations. It's a great powder for 38's in my opinion.

Just thinking out loud here, but the old thread I mentioned was pretty funny. Well, in fact, hold on...

If anyone cares to read it...Some of ya'll are still around, but the guy who started the thread must have gotten scared off, as he only has two posts. I don't think anyone answered his question without provoking someone else.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=107932

Unrelated to 700X which is quite suitable for light to moderate loads--just use care not to double charge, the use of dippers is OK if one has no better option. In my lean years, I loaded quite a bit of shotgun and handgun ammo using dippers until one day a catastrophe occurred. An apparent double charge of RedDot split the cylinder of my 357 Blackhawk and I haven't used a dipper since.

mikld

Blackhawk
I learned to reload with a Lee Loader, way pre web and nobody to tell me how "dangerous and fool hearty" using a dipper is. I followed directions and reloaded a bunch of 38 Specials with dipped charges of Bullseye, safely, before I bought a scale. I have been reloading over 35 years and still on occasion use dippers in conjunction with a scale (I also use a scale in conjunction with my $$$ powder measure).

FWIW, yesterday I found a nearly full bottle of 700x in the back of my powder cabinet and forgot what I used it for. I may just reload some 38s with it now. Thanks...

I bought a set of dippers when I first started reloading, never used them, they look like an accident waiting to happen.

I just thought the old thread was somewhat funny or... Interesting perhaps.

And for what it's worth. My previous load with 700x and 158 grain round nose was 3.5 grain of 700x.

With 148 grain double ended wad cutter, my load was 2.2 grains of 700x. This according to Hornady #10. It was very pleasant to shoot.

Enigma

Hunter
I've used dippers before, and never experienced a problem. I paid close attention, and checked each case for an overcharge - just like you should always do - before I seated any bullets. I think that too many people get in a hurry and eliminate some of the basic safety checks in an attempt to increase their rate of production. I'd rather take an hour to load 50 safe rounds than I would load 400 unsafe rounds in the same amount of time. It only takes **ONE** double charged round to ruin your entire day.

LAH

Buckeye
The first round I loaded was a 38 Special wadcutter on a Lee hand tool using 700X with the dipper.

Johnnu2

Hunter
The first round I loaded was a 38 Special wadcutter on a Lee hand tool using Bullseye with the dipper.

I have to admit that I did have a primer go off while using the Lee tool and a hammer.... :) Wife decided it was time for me to get a single stage press.... Still using it 50 years later.... RCBS

J.

Thanks for all the replies. I remember this thread, nice. I'll have to load up some more 38's. I haven't shot any for a while. Lately I've been trying to perfect my 9mm loads and 45 Colt loads.

Although the 45 is actually almost perfect. I do seem to get the best accuracy with Unique over other powders. Ive tried 2400, but still Unique works best. And HS-6 for the 9mm.

Started with the little LEE LOADER in .38/.357.

Bought the dipper set.

Followed the instructions and loads to the letter.

Never a problem . . . barring the infrequent "tap, tap, BANG" scenario. :mrgreen:

George

Blackhawk
Be aware some powders are very fussy with dippers. X700 being one of them, you don't need very much and it doesn't take very much to be off by a lot. You can dip and think you're doing it exactly the same way and be off you can dip and level it off think you're being super careful, still be off by quite a bit trying to use the same dipping method. If you throw the dip powder on a scale you will see a fairly wide degree of inaccuracy by dipping. Some powders can be fairly dangerous if you load towards the high-end using a Dipper with the variations you can get. I have a full set of dippers I don't even go by what the powder says with them I use a Dipper to throw my powder into a pan that is weight on a scale , this gives me a close ballpark that I can work with from there. With powders that filll the case more with the desired load it's less likely to cause a real problem. Just my two cents worth.

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
Just checked my loading records and found that my loads are close to yours. With the 158 gr. LaserCast SWC bullet I was using 3.6 gr. of 700X for a velocity of 830 f.p.s. I have no data for the 148 gr. because I had used a hollow base design and Green Dot powder. I also loaded the LaserCast 125 gr. SWC bullet with 3.9 gr. of 700X for just over 1000 f.p.s. All of these with Federal sm. pistol std. primers. LaserCast has been purchased by Rim Rock bullets and relocated to Montana so if you seek this bullet this should get you on track. In case you have TiteGroup powder on hand, I have had equally good results with it at the same charge of 3.6 gr. for the 158 cast SWC with a very slight increase in velocity, at just over 850 f.p.s. It also burns cleanly and produces good accuracy in my Blackhawks. Good luck to you sir.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Assuming you're not using a progressive loader, how many of you use a loading block where you drop the powder--by dipper, mechanical powder measure, electronic powder measure--in all your cases, then take a look inside them with a bright flashlight? It doesn't take long to "calibrate" your eyeball to where it picks up tiny little differences in how much room the powder's taking up. If they all look the same, pull one or two and check them on your scale. Yeah, it takes a bit of extra time, but helps avoid the dbl charge (or uncharged case) problem.

Rick C

jtutela

Bearcat
I generally use a powder measure and just drop charges directly into the case. I weigh every tenth charge or so and pistol powders (like 700x/Unique/ Red dot) measure very nicely. I also seat the bullet after every drop so I don't run into any double charge issues...just my own technique.. maybe a little slower, but that's just me.

Latest posts