7.62x39 surplus steel ammo in a No.1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER

Buckeye
You guys with the No.1's in 7.62x39.... Do you shoot steel surplus ammo in these?

Any issues ?

Rockrat

Single-Sixer
If its a copper jacketed lead core bullet, it should be OK, if copper washed steel core, then I would think that would be a no-no

tigerbat7

Bearcat
I have a K1A no#1 in 762x39, to answer your question i have shot steel case ammo in my no#1 with the following results -->(1) alot of misfires, steel case have harder primers for use in semi-auto's (AK/SKS rifles) (2)--> 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" groups at 100 yds and more over 3" plus than sub-3" groups-->(3) most steel cased ammo has bi-metal bullet jackets (they are steel bullet jacket with copper plating or copper washed), so thats why i don't shoot steel in a no#1

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
tigerbat7 said:
I have a K1A no#1 in 762x39, to answer your question i have shot steel case ammo in my no#1 with the following results -->(1) alot of misfires, steel case have harder primers for use in semi-auto's (AK/SKS rifles) (2)--> 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" groups at 100 yds and more over 3" plus than sub-3" groups-->(3) most steel cased ammo has bi-metal bullet jackets (they are steel bullet jacket with copper plating or copper washed), so thats why i don't shoot steel in a no#1

I used to pull the copper washed steel military bullets and reseat a quality jacketed [copper] game bullet, then crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp die. Let the steel lacquered empty cases fly off into the brush, didn't care.
How does your K1A shoot with commercial ammo?

toysoldier

Hunter
Alan in GA said:
I used to pull the copper washed steel military bullets and reseat a quality jacketed [copper] game bullet, then crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp die. Let the steel lacquered empty cases fly off into the brush, didn't care.
How does your K1A shoot with commercial ammo?

I had the same idea. For my custom-built 6.5 Swede, I bought cheap surplus Berdan-primed brass "blank" ammo, pulled the wooden bullets, dumped the powder (which may be similar to Unique--might try some mild .38 loads in a Service-Six) and reloaded with R-19 and commercial bullets. Good enough accuracy for hunting, and no care about the brass.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
luvs2hunt62 said:
surplus military ammo is .311 diameter. Your #1 barrel is .308--hence the huge increase in grouping.

Is this true, are they .308? Been watching some of the new blued edition examples, one seller was asked and stated .311 barrel. At least one other owner of the K1a version said .311 also. I have no idea but would hope it is .308 if I decide t get one.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Rocdoc said:
luvs2hunt62 said:
surplus military ammo is .311 diameter. Your #1 barrel is .308--hence the huge increase in grouping.

Is this true, are they .308? Been watching some of the new blued edition examples, one seller was asked and stated .311 barrel. At least one other owner of the K1a version said .311 also. I have no idea but would hope it is .308 if I decide t get one.

Answering my own question as I got the answer from Lipseys today, the new #1 7.62x39 editions have .311 barrels. Detail here:

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RU1A762X39