7.62 x 54R Sierra Load Data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruber

Single-Sixer
This may be a long shot, but I've had success before!

Does anyone have load data for 7.62 x 54R for the Sierra 150gr .303 pro-hunter using either Win760, Win748 or Re15?

Thanks!!

DGW1949

Hunter
FWIW.....

A .303 bullet is way-small for the 7.62X54R .

My Sierra manual doesn't show any 7.62X54R loads (using any bullet) which use any of the powders you mention. Why that is, I dunno.
If you care to contact them direct, their tech line is 1-800-223-8799.

Hope this helps.

DGW

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Sorry for the confusion, the .303 is the caliber designation and the bullets actually measure .311 ala the .303 British (much like .30 is the caliber designation for the .30-06, yet the bullets measure .308).

Redsouthpaw, thanks for the load, 4895 seems like the powder to go with, but I only need to load up about 10 rounds and I was trying to avoid buying another can of powder.

Thanks again, and sorry for the confusion.

DGW1949

Hunter
Ruber":nfad340u said:
Sorry for the confusion, the .303 is the caliber designation and the bullets actually measure .311 ala the .303 British (much like .30 is the caliber designation for the .30-06, yet the bullets measure .308).

Redsouthpaw, thanks for the load, 4895 seems like the powder to go with, but I only need to load up about 10 rounds and I was trying to avoid buying another can of powder.

Thanks again, and sorry for the confusion.

In that case, follow CDF's advice about determining you gun's ACTUAL bore size.
You may also note that Sierra themselves use a .308 bullet for load development in the 7.62X54R guns.....so there's another clue.

Hope this helps.

DGW

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone,

Back to the original question, I am looking for load data for 7.62 x 54R for the Sierra 150gr .303 caliber pro-hunter bullets using either Win760, Win748 or Re15.

I have seen some on other forums using Win748 and Re15 for that bullet as well as Win760 for a Speer 150gr. bullet, but their sources are not cited and only gave max loads with no pressure information or metadata.

Thanks!

Ruber

Single-Sixer
OK,
You mentioned the hornady SP and 4895 so I didn''t make the connection (I also don't have a Lyman manual so I didn't know they had loads for Sierra bullets).

Thanks!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Ruber":19zflemh said:
Back to the original question, I am looking for load data for 7.62 x 54R for the Sierra 150gr .303 caliber pro-hunter bullets using either Win760, Win748 or Re15.

Hi,

Lee's "Modern Reloading" 1st Ed. has some "generic" loads for the 7.62x54R using a 150 gr bullet and your three powder choices.

However... they give no pressures, the powder charges are considerably lower than the figures already given from other sources, and there's a note "These are reduced loads from a near same size cartridge."

So I won't list 'em, but there IS data out there IF you can live w/ a "work up" mentality. Mean time, it sounds like a call to Sierra's your best bet!

Rick C

txpete

Bearcat
I collect and shoot mosin nagants.the "only" mosin nagant that used a .3082 bore was the finn sako M28/30.all the rest are .310 and up.
FWIW go with the 4895 it is a good powder and has been accurate in my rifles.another good powder is AA2520.
pete

DGW1949

Hunter
Ruber, I don't know if this horse is dead or not, so here goes another swat.....

If I was in your shoes, first thing I'd do is determine the bore size on my particular gun. Then I'd Mic the specific bulet(s) that I was contemplating using.
Reason for that is....an (advertized) .311 bullet is either right for YOUR gun, or it aint....and...If it's the AINT, and IF it's because they are measurably larger than your bore, you can bet the bank that whatever pressures, that whatever load you pick would generate in a properly sized gun, will be higher in your gun. Then add-in the facts that even big-brand bullets can vary in actual size, and the 7.62X54R aint a pip-squeak cartridge to start with, it would be real easy to get into trouble IF you get into mis-matching components....accidently or otherwise.

That, and as you have seen....There don't seem to be any published loads that are specific to your original question. Like I said before, I don't know why that is.
On the other hand, I figure that the various companies which make powders or bullets are much smarter about this stuff than we are. So I would take that as a clue, bite the bullet, and buy a proper powder for whatever cartridge I was loading for.....but only after making sure that I had the right-sized bullets to start with.
But that's just me.

No offense meant here...only trying to help you stay safe.

DGW

Ruber

Single-Sixer
DGW1949":1pe7t3z4 said:
No offense meant here...

No problem. I like those powders, mostly 748 since it meters well in my equipment, gives good, consistent results in variable weather conditions, is relatively gentle on old rifles and I've been using it for decades so I'm used to how it meters. As far as availability of data, I have seen several published loads using the three powders for this cartridge, often with great results. One manual I have only has 748 and 760 but does not list the bullet tested by brand (only that it is 150gr sp). So really, it is not like these powders are unsuitable, I just don't have access to a Sierra manual right now. And, yes, I do like to try different powders, but the state of affairs makes that nearly impossible in my area (I haven't seen a pound of smokeless powder in a local shop since February). When powders start getting back in stock, I'll try out redsouthpaw's load.

As for bore and bullet dimensions, I can sympathize fully. With two rifles, I've got one measuring a perfect .308 and the other a bit over .311 and I load accordingly (in fact, I've got a nice varmint load for the .308 using the hornady 30 cal v-max). Also, there are differences in bullet construction between manufacturers which in some cases can make even more of a difference in pressure than 2/1,000 in diameter would, another reason I was looking for Sierra specific data.

Does the Win748 and the 150gr bullet combination work well in my rifle? Here's a target from 200 yards for a published load I was working up for a local vintage rifle match (not that I can always shoot that well, but at least I know it's not the ammo):

150SP200Yrds48_5W748.jpg