'64 Vintage Single-Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wbhatcher

Bearcat
Thought I'd get around to posting the single-six .22 convertible I bought when stationed in Alaska '65-'66. Ruger Id'ed the revolver as a Model 212, Old Model Type 2, Cat # RSS5X. Obviously, it's been refinished. Interesting how the frame turned a plum color, although the cylinders and barrel are a deep blue/black. The grip frame and ejector housing was replaced with new old-stock parts. The gun got a good bit of wear in Alaska as it was my companion anytime I could get off the radar site for some entertainment.

contender

Ruger Guru
Uhh, we need pics of the gun! :D :D

When you say they replaced the grip frame & RJ housing, when did this occur? If your gun was shipped in 1965-1966, it would have had an XR3-RED grip frame. The newer frames are different.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
wbhatcher,

That plum/reddish color is most likely original, although they often returned to that color after a reblue.

Radar site Alaska in mid sixties Any chance it controlled Nike Hercules Missle sight?

SATCOM

wbhatcher

Bearcat
I wish I hadn't posted until I figured out how to attach a picture. I'm still investigating that how-to. About the grip-frame and ejector housing, I replaced those myself with exact same parts, just in like-new condition.

We didn't have missiles at the radar site. The interceptors we launched were at Galena - ten miles from the site. i was at Campion AFS - on the Yukon river northwest of Anchorage.

Cylinder and barrel are made from "bar stock" while the main frame is investment cast. The casting alloy reacts differently to the bluing process. Common occurrence.

Nice old gun. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to our site.

:)

wbhatcher

Bearcat
Thanks. One thing I wanted to mention. Look at the left grip panel. The right panel has common straight grains. Have looked for a panel to match the one you see with no luck. It must be somewhat unusual.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
That my friend is one beautiful Ruger Single Six!!!!

That is the reddish/copper shade of the plum color that so many of us appreciate. So often it has been rubbed off the high spot of the frame. Yours is in excellent condition.
Replacement of like components to restore appearance has always been a practice that I have used and annotated in the guns records.

I have seen thru the years so often that when one grip displays exceptional grain patterns and the other does not, it is the left one and the right one is the plain Jayne.
I have three pairs like that.

SATCOM

chet15

Hawkeye
That doesn't happen to have an "S" stamped on the bottom of the cylinder frame ahead of the trigger guard does it??
Chet15

yes, from the picture it appears to have been reblued, the cylinder is over polished as well as the flutes themselves. Waves in the barrel, the way the light is reflecting............and yes, they will turn very plum if not to temperature ( or in the bath long enough) , not just the fact as 'Ale-8' noted, the cylinder frame is indeed cast, and the "batch" ( mix) make up could have a less iron content....yes, some folk ( Ruger ones anyway) like the "plum" color, but in the industry, this a "faux pas"............
All that aside, NICE gun !!! thanks for sharing.........

wbhatcher

Bearcat
Chet15

There is no "S" stamp in that location.

I thank all of you for the very kind comments. Actually, this pic was taken with a cell phone and the quality of the pic is of very poor quality. The revolver looks much better than what is shown in the pic. The pic shows light areas on the revolver where the aren't any.

Thanks to all of you for years of beautiful revolver viewing on this forum.

James also

Bearcat
Does anyone have the letter from Ruger, that discusses the plum finish on the frame?

Attachments

• 387147IMG_0753.jpeg
    387147IMG_0753.jpeg
    325.6 KB · Views: 52

chet15

Hawkeye
Does anyone have the letter from Ruger, that discusses the plum finish on the frame?
Other than the discoloration notice sent with the Earliest shipped Single-Sixes from 1953/1954, I am unaware of another letter from Ruger that talks about the discoloration.
Chet15