60lb. grass carp found in Kansas ditch is no fish story

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack

Single-Sixer
Hey Guys ... We're getting a bad rap: "When the guy said it was four foot, I thought 'Well, most men tell fish stories' and I thought it wasn't going to be even close to that," Schmidt said. "I was very shocked."

:mrgreen: :)

bogus bill

Hunter
I worked for the fishery's division on Wisconsin's conservation department in 1962. We did rough fish removal as part of the job. We would net them and sometimes shock them doing other type jobs. We worked out of Winnebago, a state installation on Lake Winnebago just north of Oshkosh. We worked the NE quarter of the state. We had tanks there we would hold them in. $320`s a month and lots of fun and hard work. Seen some awful big carp in the 60 pound class. My dad was a expert at smoking them. We use to spear a lot of them on Waukau creek that go`s from the Fox river below Omro to Rush Lake. I would just about as soon eat fresh warm carp out of the smoker as I would lobster! Once you start eating it you could hardly stop! Then you would have to tank up on water or some other beverage until you almost got sick. The most fun I had was netting and tagging Sturgeon on the fox river when they ran. Golly, that was 53 years ago!

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Years back a fellow I was working with caught a carp that was likely even heavier. Thinking on one would believe him he brought it into work.

If you are familiar with the gang sinks used in places like refineries you know the size. This thing overlapped both sides. One of the guys took it home and said he was going to cook it. He did try, but it was gawd awful tasting so he brought he rest of the carcass back to work the next day and tossed it into a dumpster. This was the day after they had a pickup.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Grass carp = Tilapia. Probably escaped from a golf course pond into the "lake" that was flooded.

Every year NYS drains most of the Barge (Erie) canal system, and the basins are loaded with flopping dying white carp, bullhead, and more and more, huge Tilapia (grass carp). Go pick up as many truckloads as you want.

Enjoy.

prairieviper

Single-Sixer
I don't think that Grass carp and Tilapia are the same fish.
Grass Carp - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grass_carp
Tilapia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia

Latest posts