6" barrel required for hunting?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
I saw that someone recently noted that a revolver required a 6" barrel for hunting in his state. Does anyone know how many states require that, or where that info could be found?
Thanks.
EarlFH

Hammer

Single-Sixer

Do not know how many states require a 6-inch barrel for hunting.

The 4.1-inch barrel on the Ruger Redhawk was allegedly due to an "over 4-inch" requirement in some jurisdictions. Someone mentioned Canada in a previous posting and that may not have been related to hunting.

My youngest son likes to shoot bull prairie dogs with his pocket size KelTec. Prefers the 380 over the 32 due to better wind bucking ability of the heavier bullet and better power for stopping charges.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Most states I am aware of measure from the firing pin to the muzzle. So most with a 4 - 4 1/2 inch barrel would be legal.

Dave King

Bearcat
As I read over a few state regulations I find some with references to minimum barrel length of 4" and 5" and I also find maximum barrel lengths. Some states apparently don't restrict barrel length in any manner.

I also find that some states have differing requirements based on the area hunted (public and state lands (4" restriction) with a restriction differing for private land (no restriction)).

I also see restrictions on the number of firearms a hunter may carry, one state in particular stated only one firearm. I found this an oddity in that I often carry two firearms, rifle and handgun.

I'd say a in depth read by state would be required to sort out the particular desires and restrictions.

It'd be interesting to know the genesis of these different and seemingly odd restrictions and laws put in place by some states.

Dave King

Bearcat
As rugerjunkie mentions, the measurement method can vary, some states use the firing pin to muzzle length, this gives an apparent "advantage" to revolvers as the case length (cylinder) is added to the "barrel" length.

mattsbox99

Hunter
Ruger went to a 4.2" barrel on the GPs and Redhawks because Canada doesn't allow ownership of 4" or shorter barreled revolvers.

MT actually has a maximum barrel length of 10." There are very few areas that are handgun only and there is no handgun season.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
mattsbox99":1jhhnb50 said:
Ruger went to a 4.2" barrel on the GPs and Redhawks because Canada doesn't allow ownership of 4" or shorter barreled revolvers.

MT actually has a maximum barrel length of 10." There are very few areas that are handgun only and there is no handgun season.

mattsbox99,
Interesting. what is the reason for a maximum barrel length? Are handguns allowed during the regular hunting season?
EarlFH

dougader

Hunter
Last time I checked Oregon didn't have a barrel length requirement. But they require that handguns need to be centerfire and at least .25 caliber or larger. :shock:

I figure under the state regs I'd be set for mule deer with a Beretta 950B in 25 auto. I might even look for a 4" barrel. ;)

Bucks Owin

Hunter
mattsbox99":3j6fz9kl said:
WHAT?!? You mean if I wanted to hunt in MT with a 10.5" SBH I'd be illegal?!? Are 10.5" barrel legal to OWN in MT? I'm aghast! :shock: Dennis

MAC702

Single-Sixer
Dave King":2n1pbmeo said:
As rugerjunkie mentions, the measurement method can vary, some states use the firing pin to muzzle length, this gives an apparent "advantage" to revolvers as the case length (cylinder) is added to the "barrel" length.

The only advantage there is the difference in the usual longer length of the revolver chambers. Automatics are already traditionally measured with the chamber included. This is why IDPA rules allow maximum 5" automatics, but only 4" revolvers.

This has me wondering now. I wouldn't want one, but can you have an almost-SBR made from a revolver and count the cylinder as part of the 16" barrel length? Other rifles and shotguns are measured from the firing pin for this federal requirement, right?

mark454

Bearcat
For as strict as NY is, there is generally no caliber or barrel restrictions to hunt big game with a pistol. Rimfire is not allowed. If the the handgun is an auto loader and the barrel is over 8 inches, it can not hold more than 6 "shells." 16 inches is the maximum length (of course, then it is a rifle).
-As a side note, you have to have a NY pistol permit to hunt with a pistol in NY. Only NY residents can get a NY pistol permit.

It is odd how states come up with their restrictions. Bisleyfan 41 says MD is 700 fps. Who measures and how do you prove that to the officer? How about caliber restrictions, how is that measured, at the land or groove? Where I hunt, rifle is not allowed but pistol is. So my 12 inch, XP100r in 260 Rem gets the call but a rifle in the same cartride would be illegal. Go figure.
Mark

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
what I used to love about NY when I lived just southof rochester was that I could not use my 44 carbine. but could use my 54 muzzle loader. what a joke.

contender

Ruger Guru
As this post is showing,, the laws do vary state by state. I doubt there is a complied list of details. So,, if you are looking for details for hunting in certain states,, I'd get a copy of that state's current regs. And realize,, they can change yearly. Here in NC for years we had a minimum length for handguns & big game. It has changed,, along with the caliber restrictions. So,, to keep current,, check the most up to date printed material.
Now,, if your question was one to help you in a future hunting handgun purchase,, then,, I'd suggest something in about 6" or more to be legal in almost all places,, and a caliber starting with a 4.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
MI law for deer is a .35 or larger, straight walled case, with a cartdrige limit of nine rounds. This was written before the .357 Sig, not that it could be loaded with 158-70 grn slugs, which would be my personal baseline for whitetail. So in that light, .444 Marlin and 45/70 govnt are legal?

Chuckbuster

Single-Sixer
This is Michigan's rule

"A conventional (smokeless powder) handgun must be .35 caliber or larger and loaded with straight-walled cartridges and may be single- or multiple-shot but cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined."

So a .45-70 CONTENDER is legal but most of Gary Reeder's creations or similar even though in a Blackhawk frame would not be. Neither is my .35 Rem Contender (bottleneck) etc. at least not in the southern part of the state, "Shotgun Zone".

andyo5

Single-Sixer
Interesting discussion.
My state, Indiana, requires a minimum barrel length of 4 inches. I always considered the barrel length to run from the entrance of the forcing cone to the outer edge of the barrel. My new 45 Colt Redhawk measures just under 4.0 inches. So how is it that they claim it has a 4.2 inch barrel? Mine was made in April 2009.

Latest posts