6.8 spc

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gig

Single-Sixer
Peyton, I don't know about a bolt gun, but I can tell you the recoil from my mini 14 6.8 is much less than from my Rem 7400 270.
Like others have said, the 6.8 seems to be very effective to 200yd and since most of my hog hunting shots are within that distance it is a good trade-off, while being more effective than the 223.
Also the mini is much handier in the truck or 4 wheeler than a long gun.

(Seems everything in life is a trade-off to some degree.)

peyton

Single-Sixer
I hunt in Texas and the longest shot I have made is 100 yards. I have missed 6 years of hunting due to this Iraq adventure!! What is the weight of the hawkeye? I think Remington messed up now making a model 7 in this caliber. So it appears a ruger rifle is in my future!!

kschwa

Bearcat
I know 223 is not the best round for bigger northern deer but thats all I had at the time. My daughters boyfriend had asked to use my 30-06 a few months ago and I couldn't ask for it back at the last minute when a buddy asked if I wanted to hunt deer for my first time. I took my AR15 and with lots of beginners luck I managed to get a 10 point. Most of my buddys tell me to quit while I am ahead but I am already looking forward to next year and using either my 30-06 or maybe getting a 6.8 upper for my AR.