5MM

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rgwarren

Bearcat
Would anyone like to see Ruger produce a revolver in 5MM??

I have a Remington 5MM rifle and really like it..

Cholo

Staff member
Not me. I had a 5mm Remington rifle in the early '70's. Fine gun! It just seemed to be stuck in limbo and the 5mm died a natural death. It really doesn't do much of anything that new the .22mag ammo doesn't.

...but what do I know. I still think a .17 Ruger Single Six is a waste of steel. To each his own...

Predator2525

Bearcat
Not me either, I would prefer the manufactures of ammunition to stick with the tried and true calibers and make a wider variety of loads. I would love to go down to the store and pick a nice wadcutter, low recoil load, as opposed to having to load each and every one of them, cost permitting of course. I'm sure then I would find the right combination that my guns would like. Course if I had the experience of Lee Martin, and the equipment,,,, it wouldn't matter! The man is gifted!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
With what's already available, I'd rather see new variation/models on existing chamberings. Taurus and T/C tried breathng some ;life back into the 5MM Rem a yr or so ago and nothing became of it. It's one cartridge that certainly appears to have taken it's last breath. Let it go.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
What we really should do is convince Ruger to chamber the NMBH in 327 Mag. Had my Buckeye 32 H&R cylinder bored out by Bowen. Was at the range yesterday with a steel plate at 35 yards. 100 gr. Speer JHP with 10.1 grs of 2400. The bullet hits the plate so quick you cannot hear it, as opposed to the 44 special and 45 Colt. I think this caliber is a winner, low recoil (but lots of muzzle blast) and very accurate.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I am still dying to know what that series of Single Sixes we got to see when Ruger was getting ready for the Shot Show and someone screwed up an posted a whole line of new Single Sixes including a new Single Six Hunter model.

It may be that they had some problems or perhaps they were looking at the 5mm as a possibility and later discovered that the round was not picking up in popularity so they dropped the idea?

It may also have been a 327 Mag based weapon as there have been posts on here about custom single sixes in 327. I would be interested to see a 327 Mag/32 Mag convertible especully in the form of a Single Six Hunter. See: http://www.gunblast.com/Bowen-327s.htm

Anyways, Just reminding that we did catch a glimpse of something but we just don't know what it was. These are my two guesses and the 5mm was likely the more probable of the two but because they were never offered who knows if we will ever see them. Honestly, I keep kinda hoping they may have made a few that they will sell off and I can grab one but darn the competition for these unique guns is kinda tough so you have to be quick!

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Ok, Quaterbore, you got my attention. Able to enlighten me, and others, on these SHOT models more than you have?

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
BlkHawk73":3hd59e3t said:
Ok, Quaterbore, you got my attention. Able to enlighten me, and others, on these SHOT models more than you have?

It's not much but we had a request from Ruger to remove the iimages and they were removed to honor the request. I didn't save them...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=44767

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=44967

They were there, we just don't know what they were for sure... There were several threads about these guns for about 1-2 days but most were nuked out of consideration for Ruger.

See: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=44834

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The 5mm is an excellent small game round that sufferred only because not enough good folks bought them, and Remington insisted on chambering only the pencil-thin barrels. Still they outclassed most rimfire rounds and only the best 22 WRFM rounds have more energy on-target.

IF Ruger embraced & executed LEAN/S6 manufacturing they could easily build some 10/5mm Deluxe rifles or a special-run with an International stock.

I'd buy a couple. :)

nn

Single-Sixer
I think not, I usually am receptive to new rnds, but, not 5mm.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Predator2525":2bke88c3 said:

.......................I would love to go down to the store and pick a nice wadcutter, low recoil load, as opposed to having to load each and every one of them, cost permitting of course. ...................

................. Course if I had the experience of Lee Martin, and the equipment,,,, it wouldn't matter! The man is gifted!

+1 on Lee Martin

Predator2525,

What you need to do is take the next jump. Cast!

And for plinkers you need only get an $18 dollar mold from Lee in the Tumble Lube series and often don't even need to size. Shoot as cast.

Cheap .......... cheap ............... CHEAP PLINKERS!!!

The only thing left to "howl about" then will be powder and primer prices.

Three 44s

Latest posts