58 most commonly misused words and phrases

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Idiot hasn't learned that popular usage and understanding between folks determines what words or phrases mean. It's called communication. If I say something, and you understand it to mean the same as I do, we have successfully communicated.

Say a bunch of words with one thing in mind and no one understands your message and there hasn't been effective communication.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Poor grammar and just bad English does indeed provide communication.

It also communicates to the other person that one is ignorant of the basics of his native language.

Saying to another person "I is glad to see you," tells the other person that the speaker is probably glad to see him, also that that person is ignorant.

Bob Wright

Snake45

Hawkeye
Found one right in the article itself:

Since there is no definitive body governing the rules of the English language like there is for the French language, for example....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cadillo

Blackhawk
Jeepnik said:
Idiot hasn't learned that popular usage and understanding between folks determines what words or phrases mean. It's called communication. If I say something, and you understand it to mean the same as I do, we have successfully communicated.

Say a bunch of words with one thing in mind and no one understands your message and there hasn't been effective communication.

And that's exactly how "Ebonics" works!

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Jeepnik said:
What happens if a third person, that is not grounded in the unique
colloquialisms you are, also needs the information? If we are all using
the same language, using the . . standard . . usage patterns, then many
others can gain information that would otherwise be-lost/need-translation.

Please remember, many speak in a unique manner to set themselves
apart from others, yet scream "racism" if they are not understood.
To them I say "notta my problems".

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Who is learning? WE IS!

I believe it was Winston Churchill who said: "Overzealous grammarians are people whom I will not put up WITH"
He was making fun of being corrected by ending a sentence with a preposition.

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
Please notice that the OP has an error in his original sentence: "your" instead of "you're".

vito

Hunter
I will admit that I do commit some of these errors, such as using data as a singular term. But most of what he lists are obvious misunderstandings of our English language. Sometimes on the internet when I see an error I am not sure if the writer was ignorant or just mistyped the entry. What I find most amusing is when someone spells our a common saying that they clearly do not understand, such as "towing the line" instead of "toeing the line" or "a hard road to hoe" instead of a "a hard row to hoe".

graygun

Hunter
If asked this question.

"Where are you at?"

Should you answer this way?

"I am at here."

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
Some sentences I have heard in the supermarket:

Person #1 - "If I get my GED in November, I can start college in September."
Person #2 - "Girlfriend, you know September come before November."
Person #1 - "Oh well, one o' dem days!" :?

"How much dis' sugar are?"

And my favorite - "I would like to tell you a question."

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
graygun said:
If asked this question.

"Where are you at?"

Should you answer this way?

"I am at here."
That is supposed to be: "Where IS you at?"
The answer is: "I is rat cheer!"

Snake45

Hawkeye
smoke-eater said:
And my favorite - "I would like to tell you a question."
Everybody knows you don't TELL somebody a question. You AXE them a question. :lol:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
"Language is the only thing separating us from the apes." Why be so nonchalant in its abuse?

opos

Buckeye
Kind of interesting. I have another hobby that involves the collection, restoration and display (at various shows and fairs), antique farm engines, tractors, equipment. As would be expected many of the people are older folks...not many young people interested in a gasoline powered Maytag washer these days...and a large number of the older folks (like me....I'm 78) have come from rural families..many with very limited education and often with word usage that is particular to a specific area of the Nation or world...And frankly it's refreshing.

I'm sort of tired of people in the academic field being critical of the way we live our lives in a way that puts them on some plain above the masses. I'm college educated and retired from a successful business career and it's a treat to go and sit with people who are good, solid people that absolutely "rupture" the language. Their manner of speaking seldom uses profanity..frequently uses scripture quotations and is honest and to the point. Flowery? Not at all...just basic.

A very simple example would be when a friend of mine describes the way an engine is running he is often heard to say "It's welly smooth" or "It's welly restored" if the restoration is well done.. I'm sure the educator that wrote the misused words article would cringe but his description is on point, simple and frankly needs no critique...Most of the folks wear overalls (not just for show...they grew up in them) and I'm certain there would be "fashion critics" that would have a fit being around them...but they are clean, mended and purpose built.

I'm "welly done" with my post...I love the more simple things now that I don't have to write detailed proposals or reviews.

hpman66

Buckeye
H.H. Hipshot said:
Please notice that the OP has an error in his original sentence: "your" instead of "you're".

:oops: Your're or you are write(pun intended, right?) :mrgreen:

H.H. Hipshot

Single-Sixer
Howdy hpman66,

I cannot help myself. My mother was an English teacher, right up until she died at age 93. She would correct the spelling and language of the personnel at the nursing home, or the paramedics who had to take her to the hospital on occasion.

Her dad was a college professor, and she went to grade school through high school in the college's teacher training school.

I was raised in a somewhat rural East Texas community, where the written and spoken English was not always per the textbook, but I was not allowed to deviate from what was correct.

Happy trails,

HHH

graygun

Hunter
mohavesam said:
"Language is the only thing separating us from the apes." Why be so nonchalant in its abuse?

I can't prove it but believe God separated us from them.