58 Era Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

msp2640

Single-Sixer
At a local store I saw what was listed as a 1958 Single six with a 5.5 in bbl. A quick inspection and it appears to be original finish and unconverted. It is wearing brown, almost black, plastic grips that have minimal wear matching the rest of the gun. No box or paperwork with it. Would these grips be correct for that time frame? Guessing 90+% finish, is $325 a decent ballpark? I know very little about Single sixes and even less about the early ones, thanks for the help. Bill in MA

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Grips of that era started out black but over time will turn reddish brown. Testament to true age of the piece. That is a great price in my thinking. History for sale! David

street

Hunter
As far as the grips go. I've seen them from dark black to brown to an off green color. I guess time and sunlight fades them. Don't know why the different colors but could be different venders using different material. Who knows?????

hittman

Staff member
A 57 year old gun, 90% finish, in the $300 range?

Great deal and you get the cool 4 clicks while not having to wait for it to get old, antique or collectable!

bogus bill

Hunter
I have this single six made in 1959. It still looks almost new, maybe 98%. Serial #146761. I see I bought it in 1990. It looked unfired when I bought it for $202.02 OTD. I suppose I at least test fired it but really cant remember doing it. The grips are as black as if it was made yesterday. No drag marks but on the edge of the muzzle it does look like it was holstered a few times. I have a old box and manuel, maybe the one it came in new. No number on the box to prove it. For my wife`s sake if I likely kick the bucket before her, whats it worth?

It's your basic Type 2 Roundgate . . . and a pretty nice one, too.

RENE Price Guide has these in "pristine" condition at $470.

A proper "pristine" box at $90. What does the label on the end of the box say?

bogus bill

Hunter
I think the box original but in poor shape.
"SINGLE SIX"
.22 CALIBER REVOLVER
Catalog No. KSS5 5 1/2" Bbl.
STRUM RUGER (tore here)
Southport, Con " "

I haven't been, but think I will start taking it out a few times now that I looked it over. I am easy on my guns as I have many. I cut my teeth on a convertible single six I bought new when they came out in 1961. That one got stolen.

bogus bill

Hunter
Your probably right. I had to go and recheck. The box is scratched off right on top of the R making it look like a K!

street

Hunter
It's possible that the proper box for that gun will not show the barrel length. The first guns were only 5 1/2 in. barrel guns and there was no reason to put the barrel length on the box. Sometime in 1959 they came out with the 4 5/8 in barrel, and the 6 1/2 in. barrel, and the 9 1/2 in. barrel, so they started listing the barrel length on the box. As your gun was made in 1959 it could have been shipped with either box. Even after they started making all 4 barrel lengths Ruger would use up all of the old style boxes, without the barrel lengths listed on it, before using the newer boxes. So it's a toss up as to which box your gun was shipped in. No one can say for sure so either box would be OK as no one could prove it wrong. :?

street

Hunter
It's possible that the proper box for that gun will not show the barrel length. The first guns were only 5 1/2 in. barrel guns and there was no reason to put the barrel length on the box. Sometime in 1959 they came out with the 4 5/8 in barrel, and the 6 1/2 in. barrel, and the 9 1/2 in. barrel, so they started listing the barrel length on the box. As your gun was made in 1959 it could have been shipped with either box. Even after they started making all 4 barrel lengths Ruger would use up all of the old style boxes, without the barrel lengths listed on it, before using the newer boxes. So it's a toss up as to which box your gun was shipped in. No one can say for sure so either box would be OK as no one could prove it wrong. :?

bogus bill

Hunter
Yeah, I still have a box from my convertible single six 6 1/2" I bought in 1962. That box is longer because of barrel length.

bogus bill

Hunter
You want me to check now? I still have a little gout. Besides I think there is thread, mouse turds and a couple of yellow snapshots in the box. Now if that was a old Python or Hawkeye box I would be in the chips!

bogus bill said:
You want me to check now? I still have a little gout. Besides I think there is thread, mouse turds and a couple of yellow snapshots in the box. Now if that was a old Python or Hawkeye box I would be in the chips!

Nah, just curious.

The 6-1/2" guns carried the RSSM designation is all, and I'd be surprised if that longer box wasn't so labeled.

:mrgreen: