50th Anniversary NIB Blackhawk $465 + tax

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fanner50

Bearcat
Hey guys, please tell me if I did ok on this and also please tell me what do I have as far as desirability goes. Is this a good Ruger to own? I was in one of our local gunshops today and locked in the case was this NIB 50th Anniversary Model .357 priced at $600.00. I asked them what they could do on it and they said $500.00 credit, $465 cash or check. So, I went home, got the checkbook, and the rest is history. Do the new Blackhawks now have aluminum frames? The frame on this one is steel I think. What about grips. XR3, XR3-RED? I don't really want this to be a safe queen. I want it to be a shooter. Am I making a mistake there. I had just started to look for one of these, and I thought it would be harder to find than this. I was surprised when I saw it today. Thanks guys for your imput.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
I have one of these and it is a good shooting gun. The frame is steel. It uses a new version of the XR3 size grips.

A 357 revolver is a great choice. They are extremely versatile, handling the .38 special, the .357 magnum and the old 38 short and long Colt cartridges.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
What you have is basically an adjustable-sight variant of the New Vaquero - a "mid frame" size. In other words, it's built on a smaller frame similar to a Colt SAA, and the overall quality (and average accuracy) is higher than the large-frame cousins.

The standard "Blackhawk 357" is built on a 44Magnum-class frame. While your gun isn't quite as strong, it's still tougher than a GP100 (bigger cylinder for starters) and is able to deal with any factory 357 load including the "wild child" stuff by Buffalo Bore, Doubletap and Grizzly Ammo.

In short, it's an excellent gun, one of the best SAs Ruger has ever made. A LOT were produced so it's a shooter versus a collector.

What else...hammers can be swapped straight in from the SuperBlackhawk or with minor mods (to the hammer), a Bisley hammer will fit. These will lower the reach to the hammer by your strong-hand thumb, if you're a strong-hand thumb-cocker (as opposed to off-hand cocker). Other Ruger SA grip frames can be adapted as desired, you just have to swap mainsprings, mainspring strut and add the pre-lock "keeper" that the lock has replaced.

And it's REAL easy to convert it to free-spin (reverse and forward spin with the loading gate open). Cock it while unloaded, look in to the rear of the frame underneath the transfer bar, you'll find a small hex screw. Remove that, remove the spring and plunger behind the screw, bingo...it'll spin both ways. It'll also spin more quietly - what you removed is a "clicker" thingie. And there may be a bit less wear imparted to the cylinder ratchet teeth as a bonus, although it would take a LONG time for the difference to be noticeable at all.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've got one that I found on G..broker for $399. A good deal!
I've put maybe a hundred rounds through it, all handloads. Here's today's work. I like Win 231 and use it in most of my handguns.

This load: 8.0 gr of Win 231, WLP primers, W-W brass, and Lyman's 429215 GC sized to .432" and lubed with Lee Liquid Alox is going to be tough to beat. One group does not make a great load, but this one sure has potential! As with all my testing, I shoot from a back rest, semi-reclining position with the gun extended between my upraised knees from 25 yds.

Ruger44Mag.jpg

Regards, Rodfac

dipper

Bearcat
If your asking about the price, NO you didn't do good.

I ordered one today from CDNN for $369.00.....total shipped to my FFL was
$402.00.

If your asking if you purchased a good revolver then YES, you did good.

scottaschultz

Bearcat
Well the secret is out. I didn't want to embarass the OP, but I bought my NIB 50th Anniversary Blackhawk from CDNN for the same price as dipper.

Scott

gulfdaddy

Bearcat
regarding cdnn I get emails about specials but on the web page all I get is accessories. Is there a way to view guns and prices? gary

dipper

Bearcat
Upper right corner of page--- click on "download newest catalog" and follow directions and you will get a nice catalog.
For most things you have to call for price---It's worth it and the call is toll free.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Two additional comments on free-spinning the mid-frames:

I bought my NewVaq357 around mid-2005 and it's seen a fair amount of shooting. This is the same gun as discussed in this thread, mechanically...just different sights really.

I did the "free spin" plunger removal trick only recently.

Others have been reporting wear to the cylinder's ratchet teeth caused by the steel plunger in high-mileage mid-frame guns. So I took a closer look at mine and yeah, sure enough, I'm damned glad I removed the plunger. The damage isn't anything serious but that plunger WAS accelerating the wear.

Past tense. 'cuz it's gone now. That's as good a reason to rip it out as the free-spin itself, which is useful now and again.

There's another reason to free-spin, and it admittedly borders on silly...but not quite. I carry my NewVaq daily as my CCW piece. Reloads are a pair of Bianchi speed strips. Now, it is HIGHLY, incredibly unlikely that I'll ever have to crouch behind cover after an exchange of shots and quietly reload so as not to give away position or the fact that my gun is dry...but, in theory anyways, it could happen. A gun I can silently reload with some care not to drop the empties is just a tiny bit of a good thing.

TexNekkid

Bearcat
The 50 Year Flattop is indeed a good Ruger to own and shoot. As others have observed, the price was a bit high for the current market. Those of us who bought them back when they were released in 2005, however, typically paid a bit more. I gladly paid $479 + tax for my first one and had to get on a waiting list and drive about 40 miles to Granbury TX to get it.

You'll need grips that fit the NEW XR-3 gripframe (which is also found on the New Vequero). They vary from the original XR-3 because of the internal lock. I think the locator pin is in a slightly different location too. You'll need to use some degree of care in shopping for them as not all aftermarket grip makers carry them.

The very best aftermarket grips for Ruger single actions are in my personal opinion created by Cary Chapman at http://www.CLCcustomgrips.com I understand Sack Peterson makes nice elk stag grips, but haven't tried them and don't have a link for you. Pretty grips are also available from http://www.klamathriverwoodworks.com/wst_page2.php?idx=10&file=images/S42000041.jpg&&ID2=fCDPAq but the panels are a little slim for my big hands.