50th Anniversary Blackhawks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

claydoctor

Bearcat
Does anyone know if these guns have steel grip frames and ejector rod housings? I know they have the earlier XR3 frame. I'm thinking about having either one of those or an Old Model Blackhawk re-finished by Turnbull. If I use an Old Model Blackhawk that I have found it may cost me more as the grips and rod housing may need to be replaced That could run another $200-$300. If I start with a gun that already has those, I obviously save money. All things being equal I would rather have the Old Model with the 4 clicks.re-done. I'm talking about re-bluing and case hardening frame and hammer.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
yes, the 50th anniv "flattops" have a steel grip frame and ERH.

~c.r.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
If you're looking for a 50th Anniversary model, here's a thread telling about the deals that CDNN has had on and off this summer on the .357 and the .44 magnum guns:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... nn&start=0

Sounds like you're going to end up with an awesome sixgun. A Turnbull reblue with case-hardened frame and hammer plus a #5 Belt Mountain basepin (I hear they can make them the same size as the original pin) plus some American Holly grips by CaryC would make for my dream gun.

-Stephen

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
I've had mine for just under 2 months and I love it!
Be sure and post some before and after pictures.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
i got mine from CDNN. it runs like a top. its actually one of the more accurate handguns that i own.

BowenBuilt

Bearcat
Funny you should ask. I just finished this one up today. Did the action, added the grips and the base pin and polished the whole thing up with some Flitz to get rid of the dull black look. This one came from CDNN last month at a very good price. It has turned out to be one of my favorites.
BB
100_1138.jpg

claydoctor

Bearcat
I assume that is a 44 as it has the longer barrel? Did you do all the work yourself? I note too the barrel seems devoid of legal advice.Tell me more about the base pin. Do Rugers have a habit of the pin backing out?

Axehandle

Buckeye
Nice looking hardware there guys..... That locking basepin is like bullets jumping crimp... You just don't really understand until it happens to you.... JT has written about actually loosing basepins in the field which made absolutely no sense until I traded for an OM FT 44 and saw that the base pin would come off the gun without removing the ejector shroud.... Later on I saw a BH with a bad basepin lock that the basepin jumped out literally every shot... The locking BP is a good idea for a working gun...

TexNekkid

Bearcat
Turnbull color case hardening looks more spectacular on a 50 year flattop than this poor photo indicates. This one's a Jeff Quinn Special by David Clements with maple burl grips by Cary Chapman.

CCG44sprcialconversion.jpg

BowenBuilt

Bearcat
To add to what Axe Handle was saying, most of the time a Belt Mountain aftermarket base pin will tighten the cylinder up in the frame. Their base pins are made with a slightly larger diameter and will more closely fit the cylinder's center hole. You can also get different styles to suit your fancy and to make removing the base pin easier. I chose the #5 style for those reasons and being able to lock it in place is always a plus.
Yes I did the action myself, it is not a very difficult task. All that is needed is smoothing and polishing all the moving/contacting parts, a slight reduction in the main and trigger spring tension and careful removal of metal off of the hammer at the sear notch to reduce the amount of creep in the trigger. I always try to leave a just a touch too much metal in this area as normal wear after a few thousand rounds with usually finish off any extra creep. It is amazing how smooth and slick the action feels after this is done. Lubricating with a Teflon type lubricant will add the finishing touch.
And yes this is the .44 caliber version of the 50th edition.
BB

claydoctor

Bearcat
Well I sorta solved my problem or maybe added to it. I'm sure we all agree that when faced with the perennial dilemma of which gun to buy, the solution is to buy them both. The 50th anniversary is on the way from CDNN and this morning I bought the .41Mag Old Model BH with 4 5/8 in barrel. Now the decision will be which one to send to Turnbull.....first.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
claydoctor":1stim6pr said:
Well I sorta solved my problem or maybe added to it. I'm sure we all agree that when faced with the perennial dilemma of which gun to buy, the solution is to buy them both. The 50th anniversary is on the way from CDNN and this morning I bought the .41Mag Old Model BH with 4 5/8 in barrel. Now the decision will be which one to send to Turnbull.....first.

Make sure the front sight isn't canted before you do the transfer paperwork with your FFL. The sight on mine is canted big time.

claydoctor

Bearcat
ElrodCod":21zuy2gr said:
claydoctor":21zuy2gr said:

Make sure the front sight isn't canted before you do the transfer paperwork with your FFL. The sight on mine is canted big time.

I assume you mean on the 50th Anniversary. You can't get good help anymore.

CraigC

Hawkeye
TexNekkid":2v8ikxp6 said:
Turnbull color case hardening looks more spectacular on a 50 year flattop than this poor photo indicates. This one's a Jeff Quinn Special by David Clements with maple burl grips by Cary Chapman.

CCG44sprcialconversion.jpg

Gorgeous! The case colored ejector is a nice touch too.