50th Anniversary Blackhawk vs Superblackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Was wondering if there was any appreciable difference between them? Can they handle the same loads?

I like the rounded triggerguard and can live with the 6.5" barrel. I'd use if for hunting mostly.

Thanks. LB

gunman42782

Hunter
Yeah, they can handle the same loads. Main difference is in the SBH has a squared trigger guard and larger grip, as well as a lower spur on the hammer and unfluted cylinder. The 50th Ann model has a smaller grip, a Flattop frame, and standard Blackhawk hammer.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
LB

I'm willing to bet that you're aware of some, if not all, of the things i'm going to mention, but I'll say them anyway,

yes they can handle the same loads.

the 50th has the flattop, SBH has protected ears

the 50th, not only has a round trigger guard, but also a much smaller grip frame than the SBH. It is a re-make of the xr3 grip frame which is smaller than what most New Model Blackhawks have on them. the grip frame is similar in size to a Colt SAA grip frame. Some folks have a little trouble holding onto these smaller grip frames (personally i don't, and I actually prefer them)

there's also a small difference with the lockwork. The 50th has a "reverse indexing pawl", what that means is that with the reloading gate open, the cylinder will click into alignment so a chamber is lined up with the loading gate (similar to old models). on the SBH, you just rotate it into alignment.......no big deal, but a difference. Oh the 50th will be equipped with a "lock" in the grip frame.

of course different hammers.

The following is purely my opinion.

I prefer the 50th to the square back SBH. It would be a toss up between a 50th and round trigger guard SBH. I haven't had a problem with any loads being too much with the smaller grip frame. Maybe i just don't shoot heavy enough loads. Who knows?

That 6.5" 50th balances real nice in my hand. I can't say the same about the 7.5" SBH.

in case you haven't, maybe check out CDNN, they have/had good prices on the 50th.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

~c.r.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have both an original Super Black Hawk and a new 50th Anniversary Flattop .44 Magnum.

I have nothing derogatory to say about the original Super Black Hawk. We have an active gun club and for years my Super shot the smallest groups off the bench in the club.

However, I really enjoy my 50th Anniversary. It is, of course, a new model that allows safe use of all six chambers. I particularly like the reverse indexing pawl. That is a dream to use (you can actually load and unload in the dark with it). After using the reverse indexing pawl it kind of spoils you. I REALLY like that feature. So much, that I had my new Ruger SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible modified to a "free spin pawl" - so that now I don't miss the lack of a reverse indexing pawl so much.

FWIW
Dale53

tek4260

Buckeye
I will add that the 50th 44 is alot better built that the current production Supers in reguard to fit and general "tightness". All of the 50th 44's I have handled locked up like a vault compared to other Blackhawks.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
You can always marry the two. A 50th with a Dragoon grip frame, super hammer & trigger.

005-1.jpg

50th44001.jpg

Rabon

Single-Sixer
I ran my 50th Anv to 1370 fps with a 320 cast, it is plenty stong however with that gripframe from a recoil standpoint it is one of the most obnoxious revolvers I have ever fired.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Rabon, you are a brave shooter. My 50th Anniv. Flattop is miserable with .44 Specials. Cheese grater grips on a tiny little grip frame...

I've got the solution to this trouble just about finished.....

flatgate