50th Anniversary .357 cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ShrnShndl

Bearcat
I have a 50th Anniversary .357 magnum flattop. I would like to have a cylinder chambered for .38 special (for an experiment). What all would be involved in having this done, if I can find a cylinder? What cylinders would work in this model? Thanks in advance for any info.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
The smallest factory chambering in that size is the .357 magnum. So the only way to get a dedicated cylinder in .38 special only is to have a custom cylinder made.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I don't know the exact cartridge dimensions, however, maybe a OM 9mm cylinder could be pressed into service..... ??????

flatgate

ShrnShndl

Bearcat
Does anyone have the measurements for an OM 9mm cylinder? This is what I was thinking of to begin with, but again don't know if it will work. Thanks

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Base diameter of the 9mm is .391. Base diameter of the .38 special is .379-.380. I would imagine a misfit this big would skew your experiment.

REP1954

Blackhawk
What is the chance of ShrnShndl getting a 50th Anniversary cylinder sleeved and rechambered? I've never done or had anything sleeved before but it would seem that with people rechambering these guns to 41,44,and 45 it could be done. Just a thought. It might be worth contacting Alan Harton about.

flatgate

Hawkeye
REP1954":128isvy4 said:
What is the chance of ShrnShndl getting a 50th Anniversary cylinder sleeved and rechambered? I've never done or had anything sleeved before but it would seem that with people rechambering these guns to 41,44,and 45 it could be done. Just a thought. It might be worth contacting Alan Harton about.

The rechambered examples you mentioned are simply .357 cylinders with enlarged chambers.

A custom cylinder blank is probably the solution.

Aggie01, thanks for the proper data!

flatgate

REP1954

Blackhawk
Yeah, Alan Harton said he has sleeved cylinders before and they always looked sleeved. He couldnt see why anyone would want to have the 38 when you got the 357, although he would build a custom 38 spl. cylinder if requested.