50th Anniv Single-Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ctdair

Bearcat
Just purchased one for $250.00 Has both cylinders box papers fired shell case. I am sure I got a deal what say the forum members. Pictures to follow camera battery dead. Only flaw I can nitpick is it looks like previous owner painted the medallions red , they look too sloppy to be factory red. I know some models did come with red commemorative ones but these just dont look factory. Next question I have center fire Ruger Revolvers and they all have the cylinder ring from use this Revolver does not , are the Single-Six models immune to this or perhaps this revolver is unfired unturned previously. If I had to guess I think it has been fired but very hard to say.

contender

Ruger Guru
Actually, the medallions have a silver eagle with a red background, IF they are the correct stocks.
As for the cylinder turn line. Some get a severe one while others not at all. It's a "timing" issue that can be corrected.
Yes, you got a good deal.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
Yep. I'd say you got a deal. I paid $329.00 for my wife's several years ago.

Rugers2.jpg

It's a good shooter.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'll have to say, from a pure collectors' standpoint, the 50th Anniv. Single-Six was such a huge disappointment that I refused to purchase a single example.

It should have been made with a 5-1/2" barrel, black grips, a drift rear sight and a flat loading gate.

43971995.jpg

Oh, well, such is life.

Ruger certainly redeemed them selves with the 50th Anniv. Flattops! :D

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
madd-trapper":vbosc99a said:
Is the flatgate cosmetic or is it easier/harder to open? Why did they change?

The flat loading gate was a "quick" design solution back in the '52/'53 time period when Ruger was designing the Single-Six. Approximately 61,000 guns were shipped with the flat loading gates. The gate design was the Number One complaint about the gun and Ruger rectified the situation by mid March of 1957.

My "beef" is that the 50th Anniv. Commemorative gun should have sorta copied the original, however the only common traits between the original and the 50th Anniv. guns appears to be the .22 rimfire chambering and the single action style..... :roll:

JMHO,

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
ctdair,

I must apologize for tossing your thread "off topic".

You did indeed make a "great buy" on a fun Single-Six!

Enjoy!

flatgate

reakin

Single-Sixer
Did Ruger ever produce anything similar to the anniversary Single Six in stainless? I am wanting to have made a 4-5/8 stainless baby-vaq style single six, with a birdshead grip and a modified Bisley hammer. I figure it will take some work by a gunsmith to get there, but I'm not sure what model would be best to start with to minimize the amount of extra work.

reakin