5 shooter blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
While I have no intention of doing this type of conversion, what parts have to be changed and where do you get, find, or whatever, these parts to convert a 6 banger to a 5 ahooter?

At least one inquiring mind wants to know

gunman42782

Hunter
Have someone like Hamilton Bowen convert your gun. Besides the cylinder, I am not sure exactly what other (if any) have to be changed, but Hamilton always gives his guns an action job.

You probably would get many more responses if you would post this in the revolver section, by the way.

Zeus

Blackhawk
There are quite a few changes that have to be made. Usually, the cylinder window is opened up to accept a larger oversize cylinder. If you are changing calibers, obviously, a new barrel will have to be fitted. Even if you aren't changing calibers and go with the larger cylinder, the barrel will still have to be faced back to allow for the new cylinder. The hand will have to altered to account for the 5 shot cylinder and not a 6 for the timing to be right. Most of the 5 shots will also have a bolt bearing block of some sort to take the "play" out of the bolt and tighten up the lockup prior to lineboring the new cylinder. They usually do an action job while they have it apart and then the caliber designation should be changed if you went with a different caliber. Sights are always a nice upgrade. The parts are usually made from scratch in the shop from these smiths that do this work routinely. I know they used to have "predrilled" cylinders that needed to be chambered for sale but I've heard some pretty bad reviews of some of the ones that were being sold through brownells. Some may have been ok but I don't know. There may be parts I'm forgetting but this is a start.....

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I am seriously considering taking my 45 Colt Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter and having it converted to a 5 Shot 454 with a second 45 Colt cylinder. I just need to save up the money!

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'd just have the 5 shot made in .45 Colt. You have a larger selection of bullets due to cartridge O.A.L.

The 5 shot .45 Colt will keep up with the .454 except, perhaps, with the lighter weight bullets.

Call John Linebaugh and discuss the theories.

JMHO,

flatgate