4x vs 3-9x scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbzdel

Bearcat
I am not some high end target guy, just a backyard plinker. That being said I have been more than happy with my 4x32 Simmons 22 mag scope and it has served me well for what I have used it for. It sucked with the Simmons scope rings as they would never stay tight but I put the Jack Weigand Integramount on it and it has been more than perfect! But I have never had a 3x9 on a 22 so I am not sure if maybe I am missing out on some fun of longer shots?

Today I am buying a 10/22 for the wife, she found one with a pink wood stock and loved it. She asked if she could get it scoped so I decided to get her a Simmons scope because mine has served me well and was very affordable. My question is the 3-9x adjustable scope worth it on a 22 or should I just stick with a 4x? Of should I say on a out of the box 22 that will never be modified for better accuracy.

cbzdel

Bearcat
SBH4628":y33uqdnd said:
If you get your wife a 3x9 She may out shoot ya :D :lol:

that what I am concerned about haha! I hate to waste things, especially money, so I would hate to buy her a 4x then later upgrade both of our guns to a 3-9x, it would be less painless to get a 3-9x for her and a second for me then sell off my 4x on craigslist or something.

I am very picky when it comes to spending money, I hate doing things twice, but it always seems like I end up doing it that way :roll:

DavidABQ

Bearcat
I have had both on my 10/22 and to be honest for just plinking a fixed 4x scope was just fine. I have since taken up small bore silhouette at the gun club I belong to and have found a 4x scope to be ok but the increased power of a 3-9x was really nice when trying to hit the rams at 100m.

It really depends on what you intend to do with the rifle.

Have fun plinking? A 4x is great.

Semi-serious target/silhouette shooting then go with power.

wwb

Hunter
For a .22 that has to be used for target, plinking, and hunting, a variable scope is the way to go. For a .22, though, I'd consider a 2-7X rather than a 3-9X.

My hunting .22 wears a fixed 2.5X, and my target .22 wears a 4-12X40 AO.

I have an assortment on my 22's; fixed 2.5x, fixed 4x, variable 2x7, and red dots. I seem to like the fixed 4x as good as any. For fast and fun plinking, the 2.5x and red dots are tied for first place.

Snake45

Hawkeye
cbzdel":31ruw9f5 said:
My question is the [Simmons] 3-9x adjustable scope worth it on a 22 or should I just stick with a 4x? Of should I say on a out of the box 22 that will never be modified for better accuracy.
I have the Simmons 22MAG 3x-9x 32mmAO scope on my very, very accurate CZ452 and I LOVE IT! Paid about $75 for it on the net and I don't think you can buy more .22 scope for less money anywhere. Clean optics, repeatable adjustments, nice looking piece of gear, what's not to like? I actually have one very small complaint, the power adjustment ring is very stiff to move, and it's not just my example as I've heard others say the same thing. But I don't move it often enough for that to be a big problem for me.

I bought this scope after reading quite a good number of recommendations for it on Rimfirecentral.com. Since getting mine I've recommended it to others and several people I've told about it have bought them and like them as much as I do. The next most popular "value" scope at RFC seems to be something called a Mueller APV; I gather that it's at least as good as the Simmons and prolly just a bit better but its lowest retail price seems to be IIRC about $125.

I have a 2x-7x AO scope of another make on an old Winchester 69 bolt .22. I like this scope a lot, too, except at 100 yards, when I sometimes wish I had the full 9x working for me. But I generally only shoot that rifle at 50 yards or thereabouts, maybe out to 75, so it's not that big a deal. I can still hit stuff with the 7x at 100, mind you, I just can't see it jump as clearly.

HI I find unless you are a target shooter most folks I know with 3x9 never change the the power anyway they leave them on 3 or 4 power also on most inexpencive scopes when you adjust them over 7 power they get blurry around the edges. Personaly I like fixed 4 or 6 power on all my rimfire and centerfire rifles

HAPPY NEW YEAR
GRAMPS

Bozack

Single-Sixer
I have a 4X Bushnell on my 77/22 and find it to be fine for what I do. If your wife is not going to be target shooting and just plinking the 4X is fine. The less moving parts the better I say.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
You can only shoot as good as you can see. I have a 4X12 on my homegrown BR style 10/22 and it makes it easy to shoot 1/2 MOA with it at 50 yds or plaster squirrels at 125 yds on 12X. But at 4X the field of view is.........well 4X!!! FWIW, Dennis :wink:

cbzdel

Bearcat
I got her the 3-9 its was only about $5 more, and after getting it all set up, the clarity is even better than my 4x in the same brand.

I guess I will sell off my 2 spare scopes to fund a new 3-9 for myself.

Anyone interested in (2) low end scopes, I will give a good deal hah :)