480 Ruger components

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
I've been considering the purchase of one of the new Super Blackhawks in 480. Eight or so years ago I had a 9.5" Super RedHawk in 480 I got on a close out sale. I loaded up a bunch of ammo for myself and a friend who also got the big Ruger. I eventually traded in the RedHawk, unfired, and my friend sold his RedHawk and #1 in 480. So I did an inventory check of what I have on hand. I have 250 rounds of loaded ammo and 50 once fired brass and a few Speer 275 gr. bullets. Over the last few days I've been checking several distributors, Midway, Graf & Sons, and my other usual vendors with no luck on jacketed 475 bullets. I doubt if Hornady or Speer have made any since late 2012 and the ammo shortage of 2013,4,5. Anyway, I found some 275 gr. Speers at Widener's and ordered six boxes out of the 35 they had on hand. So if anybody needs any, Widener's has a few boxes left. Widener's actually had some LilGun powder in stock, as well. Bob!!! :D

contender

Ruger Guru
I got my first 480 Ruger (SRH) several years ago. SInce then,,, I've ammased plenty of brass, and I cast my own slugs. No issues here for me!

schloss

Single-Sixer
A quick google just showed quite a few companies doing hard cast .475 bullets. Doesn't say they're out of stock.

Three44s

Single-Sixer
AKDRSS said:
What molds are you cast shooters using? Results?

I have the RCBS 400 gr. and a Mihec mold for about 420 gr. depending on which nose style I choose.

Thus far, I have only cast and shot RCBS.

I like it! I am sure I will like the Mihec even better.

If I was looking at getting in ........ I'd consider the Lee for economy but over time you will be buying gas checks so really in the long run the advantage goes back to the RCBS and it's plain base design.

Three 44s

dougader

Hunter
I'm looking at the Lee 400 grain mold, or maybe their 325 for lighter "plinking."

Dick casts a mean 385 hp with his mold.

i-9fzGCRp-L.jpg

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
I have the MiHec mold mentioned above, throws a great slug. Mine is a GC and I have the HP pins for it. Also have a couple of the Lee's that came in trades for Brass, have not tried either yet. One is apparently undersize by a couple thou from what I was told during the trade.

Accurate Molds has a couple designs that look interesting.
Kevin

CraigC

Hawkeye
Thanks for the tip! I've always wanted to try the 275gr on deer. There are some impressive velocities in Speer #14 and I always figured it would flatten out as big as a quarter.

Same here, cast is my boolit of choice,,,,,, as cast is what I have found to perform best in all my big bore revolvers, speed penetration accuracy and done right never a leading problem. If you want a great mold and have an idea what you want, do as I and go to Mountain Molds, use the design software and make your own,,,,100 bucks and you will have a lifetime supply of your own custom design. If you are not sure about base, Meplat, nose design, etc, etc, call and talk to him and he can help with a good boolit for your needs. Either way you never again look for the perfect boolit for your gun!! :wink:

Chuckbuster II

Single-Sixer
Thanx Dick
I'm still a grease guy, not PC in many ways......
That mold essentially came free along with a bunch of brass, ammo, and dies when I acquired the .475L BFR. And is a duplicate, I have another that is good on size so it's likely I will never get it hot. Maybe someone wants to try it as you suggest?
Kevin