.480 Ruger Brass Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Enigma

Hunter
I'm seriously considering a five-shot Blackhawk in .480 Ruger. The problem is finding brass. Both Hornady and Starline are backordered on it. Starline says they will make their next run when they have a sufficient quantity backordered.

I figure that in 5-10 years, you won't be able to buy .480 brass at all - unless Ruger reintroduces the Redhawk in it and supports it this time. I figure that the alternatives are to either shorten .475 Linebaugh brass (assuming it's still available), or form .480 brass from .45-70 brass.

Has anyone made their own .480 brass from .45-70 brass? I'm wondering how much hassle it would be. Am I overlooking another source for brass here?

contender

Ruger Guru
I've never tried to make any 480 brass. I would recommend you place a good enough order with either Hornady or Starline to help them reach the number needed to make a run of it. Keep looking and it will be found.
I was able to buy a box of 100 pieces at a gun show about a year ago for $25.

Enigma

Hunter
Sugar River":f60mpgy2 said:

Yes, but as I stated in the OP, I'm concerned about brass availability in 5-10 years. Face it, unless Ruger or another firearms manufacturer sells additional guns in this chambering, it is going to die. The trickle of custom revolvers in this chambering simply will not generate enough demand for anyone to continue making brass.