480 range report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cast Performance 410 grain cast bullets loaded to 1105 fps from my chopped Super Redhawk. Shot off my shooting stick with 2 shots each at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards, and 3 shots at 60 yards. Eleven shots in an 8" target with a 15-20 mph crosswind left to right. The 3 shots off to the right were shot at at 20, 30, and 50 yards. Total spread is a little over 4.5"for all 11, with the 7 in the bull at about 2". Sitting down using a Stoney Point Bipod. Getting ready for my bear hunt first week of Sept.

2cndv2r.jpg

maxima2

Bearcat
Looks like you are ready. Keep us updated.

BTW: I really like your cut down 480 and hope to have one made up one day. My Toklat will have to do for now till I get around to it.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
Nice shooting Rumrunner. Would you please post a picture of your cut down .480, I would like to see it.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
maxima2 said:
Looks like you are ready. Keep us updated.

BTW: I really like your cut down 480 and hope to have one made up one day. My Toklat will have to do for now till I get around to it.

Maxima2 how do you like your Toklat? I have one also but have not had an opportunity to get it out and shoot it yet. I did pick up a box of 240 gr. Hornady XTP for the first go around. Want to get some hard cast loads for it also to try. Maybe Buffalo Bore, Double Tap or the equivalent, looked at the HSM "Bear Load" at Cabelas yesterday.

dougader

Hunter
I'd love a Toklat in 480, but prefer the same fat, round barrel over the flat-sided offering on the current 454 Toklat.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
Great choice of bullet, velocity, and handgun for your purpose. I plan to try 410gr hard cast on big hogs as soon as I can (although my barrel is a bit longer).

dougader,

It has original 6-round cylinder. Barrel cut and front sight remounted (screwed on), trigger job, target grey finish removed and satin finish on stainless, except cylinder which was polished shiny, and billboard removed.

Rumrunner said:
dougader,

It has original 6-round cylinder. Barrel cut and front sight remounted (screwed on), trigger job, target grey finish removed and satin finish on stainless, except cylinder which was polished shiny, and billboard removed.

You've chosen well pilgrim. :) I like it. Waiting for someone to produce a 4" Redhawk in 480 Ruger. If I get that I might wait for a Super blackhawk in 480. But we only have so many years.