475's Cold Day at the Range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
Well I am now three weeks and roughly 180ish rounds into my Linebaugh sessions.

Well ran out to the range for a short shooting session yesterday. Not too cold, low 20's, but like so many days recently, windy as all get out. Again my target stands kept blowing over--note need some cinder block stands--so I had to go to the extreme back of the handgun range and stuff my target sticks down into the snowbank from the recent plowing.

I went wanting to try out a few different handloads. Went out last weekend with loads of 24gr H110 and 25gr H110 under cast performance 425 gr WFLN GC's, and found the 25gr's of powder shot significantly better. So this week, I loaded up some more of the same bullet with 25.5gr H110, and some 400gr performance cast over 26gr H110, same bullet over 15gr HS-6 and a five rounds of the same 400gr bullet over 7.5gr of Trail Boss.

I shot off-hand at 25 yards, and off a table at 61yrds. The strange latter distance was created by the simple fact that was how far the snow bank was from the table. All things considered, the wind, and me forgetting my sand bags, shooting off my shooting bag, I was kind of pleased with the groups. Wish I had a better handgun rest to really see what the gun can do without my input.

Here are the pic's. The groups showing 420gr, are really 425gr Cast Performance boolits.

475march15.jpg

475march15b.jpg

This group was the 5 rounds of 7.5gr of Trail Boss I loaded, very, very light--more like a 45 Colt mid-range load. Fairly pleased for a 25yd off-hand grouping.

475march15d.jpg

This is the final grouping I fired, which is 10 shots at 25yrds off-hand. These are the 400gr performance casts over 26gr H-110. The load did not group that well at 61yrds, so was playing around emptying cases, some single-handed. I will admit, that several shots of 26gr H-110, single-handed at the end of a 70ish-round range session, you realize what recoil actually is. Gloves help, but I do not like shooting with them and still getting accustomed.

475march15c.jpg

I love this gun. I guess we will see what gives out first, my arms or the action. With this kind of fun, I plan to keep cranking the rounds downrange.

Will

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
Sorry, didn't want to repost it after plastering it around a couple weeks back. Here it is. Lots of fun, just need to work on getting the 60yrd size groups at a 100 yrds and I'll be happy. When you start looking down the barrel of a 5.5" iron sighted handgun, you can really realize just how much little movements make downrange.

ss475004.jpg

IMG00177.jpg

Will

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Nice job there wildwill. It looks like it's coming together! Just in time for spring black bears??

I've heard that .475 Linebaugh is one heck of a cartridge... Bigbore, accurate and packs quite a wallop. Better caliber than the 454 in lots of ways. I dang near bought a 475 BFR just a couple months ago. I came across a good deal on one while I was shopping for a SA 45 Colt or 454. I decided to not get the 475 yet since I'm still getting 45 Colts and 454 dialed in and am all set up for casting and loading. Not quite ready to take on a new caliber yet. Maybe next year. When the time comes I'll probably be in touch.

targetshootr

Single-Sixer
Nice pics of nice guns. Have you tried shooting from a chair with arms outstretched? I'm hankering for a 475 too. Got a base gun, an octagon barrel and just bought a 5 shot cylnder blank for $150.

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
I'll probably bring it with me to Yakutat in May, see if I cannot spend a couple days away from the steelhead to try it on on a bear--hopefully brown. I educated one last year that almost chewed my a$$.