.460 S&W No. 1 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
Does the #1 in this chambering also shoot the .45 Colt and the .454 Casull rounds? My dad has an XVR .460 revolver, and it will shoot all three.

Thanks,

Chris

mike7mm08

Buckeye
It sure will. All three calibers headspace off the rim so it does not matter as to the length of the cartridge. Just would want to clean the chamber after shooting the shorter rounds. I have the 475 number and routinely shoot 480 ruger in it.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
Does it have gain-twist rifling like the S&W revolver?

Supposedly, the .460 is so fast for being that heavy that they had to start the rifling slower and speed it up as it went down the barrel.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
As far as I know the Ruger is a standard 1in20 twist. As for the reasoning behind the gain twist I have heard a couple theories. The first is improved accuracy. This has been proven and disproven many times over the years by different barrel makers. The other theory that makes more sense to me is Smith had a velocity goal for the cartridge. The slow initial twist will allow for a higher initial velocity. While the slower twist down the barrel will stabilize the bullet. If the gain twist is to enhance velocity the longer barrel of the #1 will accomplish the same or probably more.

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
Getting some interesting results in my No. 1's in 475 and 460 with velocity not being as great as expected. I would have thought velocity increases would have been fairly linear and continuing to increase per inch of barrel over a revolver but with current factory loads on hand, I'm finding velocity to level out and not be as HUGE increase over a 8-10" revolver in a 22" barrel. This all spells some interesting handloading in my future to see what can be accomplished.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I have loaded both 480 and 475 much hotter than listed loads without any trouble. Checkout the reloading data in the link.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-No1-475L.htm

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Ltdshooter said:
Getting some interesting results in my No. 1's in 475 and 460 with velocity not being as great as expected. I would have thought velocity increases would have been fairly linear and continuing to increase per inch of barrel over a revolver but with current factory loads on hand, I'm finding velocity to level out and not be as HUGE increase over a 8-10" revolver in a 22" barrel. This all spells some interesting handloading in my future to see what can be accomplished.

Not a ballistics expert, but 2 possibilites come to mind:
1. The newer class of powders being used in these cartridges are optimized for handgun barrel lengths
2. Being large bores, perhaps the added surface area (= bullet friction/resistance) acts as a "brake" after a certain amount of barrel travel.

I would definitely try the slowest traditional powders you can find that will drive the bullets at the speed you want.

Ltdshooter

Single-Sixer
gewehrfreund said:
Ltdshooter said:

Not a ballistics expert, but 2 possibilites come to mind:
1. The newer class of powders being used in these cartridges are optimized for handgun barrel lengths
2. Being large bores, perhaps the added surface area (= bullet friction/resistance) acts as a "brake" after a certain amount of barrel travel.

I would definitely try the slowest traditional powders you can find that will drive the bullets at the speed you want.

I'd say you are spot on with both points as that was my assumption as well. My plan is to try some of the slowest powders I can and build up some good loads. They are plenty fast as is but I want to play some. BTW... Both of these are the most accurate No. 1's I have ever seen! The 475 shoots 1 ragged hole at 100 yards and the 460 is just a little less accurate so far with performance around .50 to .75 MOA. If anyone has any thoughts about one getting one of these I'd say jump now before it is too late. I don't think Ruger is going to make large quantities of either one!

mike7mm08

Buckeye
What is your load for the 475? I cannot comment on the 460 but the 475 and 480 I have been able to exceed factory loads by a a couple hundred to three hundred feet per second using h110 and 296. The 460 I am sure is using a new "super powder" of some sort. I know alot of people have not been able to get the velocities as factory with reloads in a pistol.