.45LC commercial ammo reccomendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Scott

Single-Sixer
My new Blackhawk SS 4 5/8" .45LC should be in the mail next week! I don't reload, and want to shoot this gun a lot. I'm looking for brands/loads of commercial ammo to shoot paper with to get comfortable. Also hope to use it to white tail deer hunt next season, so need recc's for hunting loads also

Sorry if this has been beat to death - I've researched the topic in general, now I'm ready for specifics.

Thanks!

p.s. I'm really blaming this forum for becoming obsessed with Ruger's; I've bought three of them within the last year - have been only a long gun shooter for the first 45 years of my life!

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
Congrats on getting one of the finest revolvers ever chambered in 45 Colt!

If there is any cartridge in existence that was made for handloading to derive the maximum benefit, especially in a Ruger, the 45 Colt is it. The recent addition of the 44 Special is its only challenger. Handloading this particular cartridge allows you to maximize shooting opportunity with least cost, and tailor specific loads for your particular needs. So, in the long run, you may want to seriously consider handloading to get the most use and enjoyment out of your 45 Colt Ruger.

There are plenty of commercial loads out there that work fine. Still, the 45 Colt remains a bit on the pricey side compared to other cartridge loadings, despite the popularity and demand from cowboy action shooting. The classic Rem or Win 250gr LRNs are good general loads, as are the cowboy loads from Ultramax. Nothing at all wrong with the Win Silvertips either. You may be able to find commercial loaders like Georgia Arms offering more affordable ammo in bulk that is perfectly acceptable for practice and informal target shooting.

For hunting loads, Buffalo Bore makes some excellent "Ruger only" loads suitable for a Blackhawk (but not the NEW Vaquero). Again, they are on the seriously pricey side, particularly for practice, but will deliver all the performance you want for hunting.

Mr.Paladin

Bearcat
If money's an issue for you and you plan on shooting the gun a lot you'll want to start reloading. .45 Colt sells for about $1/round here in Ky. And good luck finding any in stock...

At those prices a decent Lee reloading setup will pay for itself in short order...

As for your original question, I have some Rem. 225 gr LSWC that shoot very good in my Taurus Raging Bull. Haven't tried them in my Vaquero yet, but it should be a good general purpose round.

ClemBert

Bearcat
I can only assume you are rich if you have already decided to not reload. From what I can tell 45 Colt ammo goes for $0.85 to $1.00 per round. The thought of forking out even a devalued US$1 per trigger squeeze is too much for me to bare.

When I bought a 45 Colt conversion cylinder for my Ruger Old Army the first thing I did was order reloading equipment. The thought process was a number of factors including:

1. Cost
2. Availability of 45 Colt ammo on the shelves
3. Customizing loads
4. Making black powder 45 Colt loads (like it was intended to be used)

Even with buying bullets already sized and lubed the cost per round is $0.18 (including the brass). If you make your own bullets you can get the cost down even more.

Sorry that I'm unable to answer your specific question as I've never purchased commercial 45 Colt. However, my rant is just food for thought. For $150 investment you could have a pretty nice single stage reloading setup. That is merely the cost of 150 rounds of ammo.

The "cowboy" stuff would be good to use for initial familiarization, but it's neither necessarily inexpensive nor easy to find.

Not to attempt to avoid your direct question, but I have to agree with those espousing reloading for this round. It's quite flexible, and any power desired can easily be accomplished.

Enjoy your new Blackhawk.

:)

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Can only echo the responses above. I can occasionally see cowboy loads (marketed as such by Hornady, I think) that are about $1/round. I bought one box when I got my first .45 Colt revolver, but have reloaded everything since.

With even UMC .45 ACP selling for $28/50 (> $.50/round) shooting is quickly becoming a rich man's sport.

-- Sam

patrick_ford

Bearcat
Around NC, cowboy loaded .45 colt typically goes for about $50 per 50.Everything else is nearly impossible to find locally. Ruger big bore revolvers are what got me really into reloading. I reload everything I shoot now ranging from .380 ACP up to 30-30 Winchester.

Like everyone else said above, the .45 colt shines as a reloaded cartridge. You can do soft, ultra-light practice loads to the Ruger-only semi-magnum loads. The .45 colt Blackhawk is perfect for the reloader because it can handle such a wide variety of reloads.

I've been using Lee for about 5 years now and it provides me the ability to reload economically.

Enjoy your new Blackhawk.

Patrick

Bucks Owin

Hunter
My early NM Blackhawk doesn't like the cowboy stuff, groups around 5-6" with it. (At least Magtech or Ultramax, the only two I wasted money on) It DOES like the WW 225 gr HP Silvertip shown...FWIW
003-1.jpg

rockman

Bearcat
Scott, I too just got a NMBH in 45lc. I bought a box of Black Hills ammo from Cabelas for $37. I also placed an order from Reeds in OKC and they are getting ready to do that caliber run. The cost was $26 for 50.

http://shop.reedsammo.com . I like the choice on ammo from them.

Bill

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Some commercial .45 ammo "came with" my wife when we married 6 1/2 years ago. I haven't purchased any ever. We shot up some of her ammo with her S&W 25, but when I got my BH I got a RCBS supreme rock crusher kit. No looking back since. I'm boxing 250g RNFP (bullets from Georgia-Arms) for $8/50 not counting brass, as I have plenty. Loading the ammo is probably more theraputic than actually shooting it.

Scott

Single-Sixer
As usual, excellent advice from a great forum to a novice! I appreciate all the advice, will take it and run. I was at my Bass Pro a week or so ago, & I thought I saw some Winchester Cowboy loads for around $28/50; It was before I ordered this gun, so didn't look that closely. I really think reloading is in my future, but for now I'll keep soliciting info from you guys. Thanks, & keep it coming!

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
$28 per 50 rounds is about where prices start in these parts for .45 Colt. When I bought my first 45 a couple years ago, I knew I would be reloading for it, and I was already set up for other cartridges. But I wanted to get shooting right away, so I picked up one box of the only load the gun shop had in stock--$45 for 50 rounds of Winchester 230 grain lead RNFP. (At least I think that's what they were.) Everything I've used since that first 50 has been my own loads, and now I'm even casting my own boolits from wheel weights--this is where it really gets affordable.

I do buy factory-made stuff for the specialty ammo. I have a dozen snake shot cartridges, because I use too few of them to make it worth putting them together myself. And, while I don't shoot much high-pressure stuff, I would like to have at least one cylinder full of Buffalo Bore 325 grain whoppers, for carrying in bear country. I'm gonna get a box of these ($35 for 20).

Other than for these special cartridges, I would echo all the other comments recommending that you make your own ammo. The equipment will pay for itself quickly, and it's fun to do!

s4s4u

Hunter
rockman":1i1qb1e9 said:
Scott, I too just got a NMBH in 45lc. I bought a box of Black Hills ammo from Cabelas for $37. I also placed an order from Reeds in OKC and they are getting ready to do that caliber run. The cost was $26 for 50.

http://shop.reedsammo.com . I like the choice on ammo from them.

Bill

I have been buying ammo off and on from Ron Reed & Co for about 10 years now. You get good bang for the buck and great to deal with as well. In 45LC they have everything from slow to go-go.

That said, it would be good to start loading for many reasons. Not just cost.