.45acp ammo opinions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Ok, I've got a stack of the usual 230gr ball & jhp from the usual suppliers. But I'm thinking about stepping it up some with some Underwood 135grn +P monolithic copper. Claimed mv is 1335fps, & 537 ft lbs . I've watched a few videos, and there doesn't seem to be any problems regarding feeding or blowing up watermelons. Anyone have any experience with this stuff or similar?

What is that extra power ammo going to do to your firearm? Many people may not be as familiar with their guns (as most of us here are). They bought a gun because of the way bad things have escalated and feel they need protection, but how many really get familiar with the firearm. They might jump on the latest and greatest and not think things through. Do I need to change my recoil spring, is it going to beat up my firearm if I shoot a lot of it, how exactly will it affect my gun AND me? They will just load up their magazines and never think about it. The ads, as far as I can see, never tell the buyer that they need to do more than just buy their new whiz-bang ammo and that will make them safer.

At one point in time I tried 165 Grain JHPs for defensive carry. I practiced with them in outdoor pistol matches and found them to need a lot of sight correction between 25 and 50 yards. I eventually disposed of the rest of the case of 165 grain ammo and replaced it with 230 Grain JHPs.
Note: For me, 230 grain hardball shoots to the same point of aim at 25, 50, and 75 yards. I would also consider using 200 grain SWC.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Same here. Why hotrod it? I shot a buck with 230 gr Federal Hydrashok and it went through both shoulders and exited......Satisfies me. The light for caliber bullet at high sped will need different sight corrections to hit POI.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Ok, I've got a stack of the usual 230gr ball & jhp from the usual suppliers. But I'm thinking about stepping it up some with some Underwood 135grn +P monolithic copper. Claimed mv is 1335fps, & 537 ft lbs . I've watched a few videos, and there doesn't seem to be any problems regarding feeding or blowing up watermelons. Anyone have any experience with this stuff or similar?

Hope you have adjustable sights? If not, you will have to decide what you want to zero with. I shoot 230 grain in most of my 1911's and SW 25-2. I have a Gold Cup that I use 200 grain cast in for Wild Bunch matches, but sights are easily adjusted on a Gold Cup for windage and elevation.