458 SOCOM build on a Ruger American

Help Support Ruger Forum:

southernpew

Bearcat
Buy the 450 Bushmaster and go with the AR15 Magazine setup much easier while i have the AICS feeding they are still not perfect but ill keep at it. Unless you will be using this with Lehigh 570gr Subs then you would need the AICS mags.
I just measured mine with the Magpul stock the shortest barrel would be 13"

This is the only reason I went ahead with the AR mag. All of my cast and loaded 458 rounds have room left in the AR mag and if I buy a handful of longer projectiles, I'll just single load them.

Coler2002

Bearcat
Buy the 450 Bushmaster and go with the AR15 Magazine setup much easier while i have the AICS feeding they are still not perfect but ill keep at it. Unless you will be using this with Lehigh 570gr Subs then you would need the AICS mags.
I just measured mine with the Magpul stock the shortest barrel would be 13"

The 450 bushmaster is ordered, but my ffl is on vacation so I had to delay the ship date. It should come in next week. Does anyone know the part number for the AR magwell?

I goofed off and missed the sale through X-Caliber. It looks like they have sales often. I will just wait for the next one.

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
@Pauerpilot I have my barrel in hand from X. Can I get in line to borrow the gauges? I believe (will have to confirm) I have an extra 1.25 crow foot that should fit X's barrel nut I can donate to travel with the gauges
Good afternoon. Apologies that I have not responded in a quick fashion. Absolutely. I have the gauges loaned out right now to another 458 builder. I should be getting them back this week. If you still need them let me know,. I will ship them out as soon as I get them back.

Al

possum

Bearcat
Good afternoon. Apologies that I have not responded in a quick fashion. Absolutely. I have the gauges loaned out right now to another 458 builder. I should be getting them back this week. If you still need them let me know,. I will ship them out as soon as I get them back.

Al
@Pauerpilot That would be great.

Hoping to get the receiver back from engraving soon. I opened the package on the AR mag conversion today and looks like it will bolt right on.

I ordered the #17 contour barrel, but because of the shorter length it tapers down to 0.85 at the muzzle instead of the notional 0.82 on the chart; this is actually perfect for me and I'm thrilled with the barrel. I had it threaded 3/4x24 instead of 5/8x24 so I can't accidentally use a 30 cal suppressor and 0.85 at the muzzle is just right.

I've opened up the barrel channel to accommodate the thicker 458 barrel; the original 450 BM barrel is 0.75 at the muzzle (keep in mind I bought the full size American, so others may differ).

I used a combination of metric/standard deep sockets and wrapped them with sandpaper, using a socket extension for a handle. I started with a socket that would fit in the barrel channel and sanded until I could fit the next size up, continuing until I could fit the 458 barrel.

Will post pics when I get the receiver back

Last edited:

possum

Bearcat
Back from engraving & ready to headspace. Will have to sand just a little more in the barrel channel. What we thinking for scopes?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 6.43.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-06 at 6.43.53 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 110

Coler2002

Bearcat
That looks great. I haven't seen one with a black stock.

In the areas I hunt we are limited in range and the last 2 bucks I shot was with a 1-4x vortex pts gen1. I was thinking something similar like a 1-6. I know primary arms has some new inexpensive lpvo scopes that look cool.

MGP

Bearcat
Back from engraving & ready to headspace. Will have to sand just a little more in the barrel channel. What we thinking for scopes?
Looks Great ! For a Scope I'm running a Trijicon 1-4.
200 yards max normally 60-100yard shots where i hunt.

Coler2002

Bearcat
What's everyone running for ar mags? I just ordered 2 lancer 10 round mags I think they will hold 4-5 rounds.

possum

Bearcat
What's everyone running for ar mags? I just ordered 2 lancer 10 round mags I think they will hold 4-5 rounds.
I've yet to fire any rounds, but the D&H .458 marked ones and a bushmaster 20rd AR both seem like they are going to work out. I looked for my 5 rd colt mag from the ban years & will try it when I find it.

possum

Bearcat
Don't laugh, but I'm going to try a sightmark 1-6 scope. It has elevation hashes for subsonic 300 blk and, surprisingly, they aren't too far off a ballistic table for 300'ish gr subsonic 458 out to 300 yds. It's a spare scope I've got & they claim to have a lifetime warranty. I'll mount in some quality steel rings & see what happens

With regards to the rifle, I'm going to try to stick with the factory stock but it flexes a good bit since I had to open the barrel channel. It's lightweight, maybe too much for the comfort of my shoulder. If so I'll buy the limbsaver pad for the American.

The gun itself with silencer attached, empty mag, no scope balances at the barrel nut. Thus far I'm liking the length & overall weight. I'm glad I changed my order away from the 0.90 muzzle to the 0.85

Last edited:

Coler2002

Bearcat
I made some progress this weekend. Grabbed the 450bm from my FFL. Got the barrel off. I just trashed the barrel nut and used a pipe wrench. Took a minute to figure out how the clamp it in the vice with some padding but it came off no problem.

Talked to Ruger this morning and ordered the AR magwell. Total cost on the magwell was $25 shipped with Maine sales tax.

Also submitted a form 1 to SBR it. My last form 1 took about 35 days I'm hoping the current brace rule change nonsense hasn't messed that up.

possum

Bearcat
Well good news is I got the barrel installed & headspace'd. Bad news is I lost the little bb while removing the extractor. I was removing it inside a gallon ziplock and it somehow still got away from me.

Bonus is I found a new in box Forster .223 go gauge I have no recollection buying under my bench while searching for it

Coler2002

Bearcat
I decided to use the original stock but wanted to make some small changes to it. I hated how the factory AR mag button was half covered by the stock so I opened up the stock in that area and beveled it a bit. I also wanted to add some QD sling mounts so I added some Noveske flush QD sling cups.

Attachments

• PXL_20230323_170724720.jpg
    PXL_20230323_170724720.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20230327_002834383.jpg
    PXL_20230327_002834383.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20230327_002838521.jpg
    PXL_20230327_002838521.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20230327_002847324.jpg
    PXL_20230327_002847324.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 73

thomasj

Bearcat
@Pauerpilot good afternoon sir. I was wondering if anyone is currently using your gauges? I've been trying to wait it out but I've been waiting on mine for three months now and I'm getting anxious! I have everything I need minus an optic and a magazine.