458 SOCOM build on a Ruger American

Help Support Ruger Forum:

southernpew

Bearcat
I haver shot my rifle. So far the best load out that I have used is the 325gr FTX. The last range session I shot some 300gr Hornady HP. Not so good. The FTX was less than 1.25 MOA. The 300 HP shot around the 3-4 MOA mark. I know that will kill any critter given the size of the round however, the rifle is capable of much better accuracy. I might be a bit of an accuracy snob. I was hitting 200 and 300 yard steel targets with the 325gr FTX easily. Lots of authority.

Let me know when you are ready for the gauges. I will send them out. Just make sure I get them back.

Al

Of course. Not looking to keep the gauges.

Does your rifle feed most ammo pretty reliable? I spoke with X-Caliber and they explained the difference in tenons. I did in the end ask them to change it to the shorter 1.13"

southernpew

Bearcat
No issues what s ever. I can load long but it will not fit in the mag.

That's what I was curious about. Thank you! Most stuff I'll be shooting will be cast subsonic loads. But if I do decide to play with longer projectiles, I could single feed. Here's some 600gr cast projectiles I made. I'll ship you some back when I send the gauges back (after all my parts come in of course lol) which will be a while before I even ask to borrow them

51BBC747-EAC9-4F6D-88F5-B23F2E520466.jpeg
E6B3135E-99A6-4A87-829F-06F8F9DC15A8.jpeg

MGP

Bearcat
Try 29 grs of Lil- Gun with the 325 FTX my AR shoots 3/4" at a 100 yards

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
That's what I was curious about. Thank you! Most stuff I'll be shooting will be cast subsonic loads. But if I do decide to play with longer projectiles, I could single feed. Here's some 600gr cast projectiles I made. I'll ship you some back when I send the gauges back (after all my parts come in of course lol) which will be a while before I even ask to borrow them

View attachment 11462View attachment 11463
WOW! those look great! Let me know when you need the gauges.

southernpew

Bearcat
WOW! those look great! Let me know when you need the gauges.

I will! The chassis and stock was just delivered. Bought a bunch of stuff during MDTs big sale (luckily)
Barrel is ordered and I'm still waiting for the gun to be delivered to my local FFL too. So as soon as I have everything in hand, I will PM you

Thanks again!

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
So I found some Lil'Gun powder. I have not used this powder before. I see lots of data and experience with this powder and 458 SOCOM. I have been having good performance with H110. Well here is the range report with my last outing.

I did have a very little bit of unburnt powder in the barrel. I took a picture of it as best I could. I would say I am being a bit picky with the unburnt powder residue.

As usual, Use data at your own risk. The rifle is performing very well. Tried to engage targets out to 300 yards. 14.7 MOA to get there. I think that this load is a 150 yard and closer type of load. I did not push the powder or projectile too much. I am going to try 325gr FTX next. Hopefully I can get these bullets. moving faster. I hope that Lil'Gun will work as well with 325gr FTX as with the 300gr HP.
tempImageCIAp23.jpg

tempImageVzgblr.jpg

tempImagerbwQVp.jpg

southernpew

Bearcat
I have noticed that with both Lil Gun and 1680 I do get a little unburnt powder in my barrel. But we could just be being picky too. Looking forward to seeing more testing and results! Getting excited for all of my parts to come in

MGP

Bearcat
So I found some Lil'Gun powder. I have not used this powder before. I see lots of data and experience with this powder and 458 SOCOM. I have been having good performance with H110. Well here is the range report with my last outing.

I did have a very little bit of unburnt powder in the barrel. I took a picture of it as best I could. I would say I am being a bit picky with the unburnt powder residue.

As usual, Use data at your own risk. The rifle is performing very well. Tried to engage targets out to 300 yards. 14.7 MOA to get there. I think that this load is a 150 yard and closer type of load. I did not push the powder or projectile too much. I am going to try 325gr FTX next. Hopefully I can get these bullets. moving faster. I hope that Lil'Gun will work as well with 325gr FTX as with the 300gr HP.
View attachment 11920

View attachment 11921

in View attachment 11922
Nice Shooting !! You shouldn't have any unburnt powder with the 325FTX and 29grs of Lil-Gun , CCI 350 @ 2.150" COAL. That load seems a bit light for the 300gr Bullet. Im getting an Avg of 1802 FPS out of my Tromix 16" AR with no pressure signs so the bolt action will be fine.

possum

Bearcat
Finally got my barrel off, that was a pain. Ordered & received the AR mag adapter. Submitted a form 1 to sbr it. Will likely take pilot up on his offer to borrow gauges when the time comes.

I got a great deal on my 450 Bushmaster upper when my friend upgraded to 458. H110 and Lil Gun are the go to powders for these. I like H110 in barrels up to 12" and Lil Gun 10"+. The funny thing is that I can hunt deer with mine and he can't where we live. I like 500gr subs. I just run 45/70 bullets through the sizing die first.

thomasj

Bearcat
I'm assuming based on size that the bowers will be the quietest. But I don't have any research to back that up. I don't mind the size if it's more quiet.

southernpew

Bearcat
What barrel vise and action wrench would you recommend?

The size difference in the Hybrid46 and Bowers are what will allow the Bowers to be quieter. How much? by ear you may not even be able to tell the difference. I went with the Hybrid46 myself because of the Bravo QD mount. Plus, it being a little smaller and lighter

thomasj

Bearcat
What barrel vise and action wrench would you recommend?

The size difference in the Hybrid46 and Bowers are what will allow the Bowers to be quieter. How much? by ear you may not even be able to tell the difference. I went with the Hybrid46 myself because of the Bravo QD mount. Plus, it being a little smaller and lighter
I haven't gotten that far yet. Probably going to bust the old nut off with a pipe wrench. It won't be reusable but I don't care. Haha

southernpew

Bearcat
I haven't gotten that far yet. Probably going to bust the old nut off with a pipe wrench. It won't be reusable but I don't care. Haha

Yeah the barrel I ordered, I ordered a new nut for it. I planned on using a pipe wrench to remove the factory nut. I know it all be toast afterwards

Just curious if people are using barrel vices and specific wrenches?