458 SOCOM build on a Ruger American

Help Support Ruger Forum:

5HCattleCo

Bearcat
Got er' off and the new barrel on. 11/16-24 thread XTerminator brake by X-Caliber.
CDF51C79-9BF0-4911-9923-1C9F1657A51B.jpeg
00FDCBD5-F69E-4B3D-B725-F9401108A6D1.jpeg
B07DACF3-9532-473F-BD82-FD9CC82CD693.jpeg
864CD61F-C016-4DF4-957A-886A9EE49941.jpeg

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
First range session is complete.
tempImageiHa2xK.jpg

Rifle shoots great. I did some trigger work to lighten the trigger and make it more smooth and crisp. Final product is a 2.5lbs. trigger pull with little creep and over travel. This is the first load I have tried on this rifle. So far I am pleased with the results. From here I will play with different powders, projectiles, lengths, etc. The SIG scope works out well. It is not the most high speed scope but is functions well. I was smacking a 300m 36x36 plate with ease. Lots of authority!

Here are the particulars.
Hornady 325 FTX #45015
H110 30.0gr
OAL 2.255. My chamber can fit longer projectiles but I used this length to fit my Lancer mag.
Ogive 1.997
Staline brass trimmed to 1.562
Crimped using Lee FCD. Crimp did not align with the cannelure. Projectile was seated long.
CCI #350 Large Pistol Magnum Primer
Average: 1690 FPS
Ke: 2056 ft/lbs
1.4 MOA at the widest point. Not a bad start.

No signs of overpressure. No unburnt powder. Clean ignition. No delayed ignition from primers.
No signs of unstable projectiles. Clean holes in the target.

Suppressor and muzzle brake are not installed. Hopefully things will tighten up once those are added. Still waiting on the suppressor. 8 months and counting. Supposedly should have been done in 90 days. ATF is such a freaking joke!

Any load recipes that anyone wants to share would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for subsonic load data for the 458.

I hope this helps.

Al

vlavalle

Single-Sixer
First range session is complete. View attachment 7886

Rifle shoots great. I did some trigger work to lighten the trigger and make it more smooth and crisp. Final product is a 2.5lbs. trigger pull with little creep and over travel. This is the first load I have tried on this rifle. So far I am pleased with the results. From here I will play with different powders, projectiles, lengths, etc. The SIG scope works out well. It is not the most high speed scope but is functions well. I was smacking a 300m 36x36 plate with ease. Lots of authority!

Here are the particulars.
Hornady 325 FTX #45015
H110 30.0gr
OAL 2.255. My chamber can fit longer projectiles but I used this length to fit my Lancer mag.
Ogive 1.997
Staline brass trimmed to 1.562
Crimped using Lee FCD. Crimp did not align with the cannelure. Projectile was seated long.
CCI #350 Large Pistol Magnum Primer
Average: 1690 FPS
Ke: 2056 ft/lbs
1.4 MOA at the widest point. Not a bad start.

No signs of overpressure. No unburnt powder. Clean ignition. No delayed ignition from primers.
No signs of unstable projectiles. Clean holes in the target.

Suppressor and muzzle brake are not installed. Hopefully things will tighten up once those are added. Still waiting on the suppressor. 8 months and counting. Supposedly should have been done in 90 days. ATF is such a freaking joke!

Any load recipes that anyone wants to share would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for subsonic load data for the 458.

I hope this helps.

Al
While I see that you are into reloading, and of the .450 SOCOM, I can offer you ballistics info on 25 online .450 SOCOM ammo links where you can purchase online, of which 16 are unique (all different ammo). This info is part of a very large ballistics file that lists 35 handgun and 25 rifle calibers, with well over 3,000 total entries. Each entry is a link to an online page where you can buy the already manufactured ammo. If interested, message me, and I can send you my file (PDF format). If nothing else, this will show you the power and speed ballistics for the .458 SOCOM caliber, as well as all the other calibers I have listed and their related ammo info. I just updated my section on the .458 SOCOM (went to all the links and updated the file accordingly).

GaCop103

Bearcat
Excellent project. I built a 450 Bushmaster a few years ago using a Savage Axis action. I've extrapolated lever action 45-70 data for use in the Axis bolt action and I've been able to shoot 475 grain hard cast gas checked bullets (sized from .458" to ,452") with excellent accuracy in the 1600 fps range. They are a handful shooting from the bench!

possum

Bearcat
Love the project, been wanting to do something similar myself. Bought a Rem700 action, AR15 mag bottom metal, and a bunch of odds & ends but the gunsmith I had talked to didn't want the job.

This looks like a viable way forward. I'm wanting a bolt action .458 socom with threaded barrel that takes AR mags. Is the green mag in pics for an AR? Did you have to swap ruger parts for the AR mag release?

Did you talk to anyone in particular at X-caliber? I could replicate your work...no need to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
Love the project, been wanting to do something similar myself. Bought a Rem700 action, AR15 mag bottom metal, and a bunch of odds & ends but the gunsmith I had talked to didn't want the job.

This looks like a viable way forward. I'm wanting a bolt action .458 socom with threaded barrel that takes AR mags. Is the green mag in pics for an AR? Did you have to swap ruger parts for the AR mag release?

Did you talk to anyone in particular at X-caliber? I could replicate your work...no need to reinvent the wheel.
possum,
the green mag is from 5H in OK. I am using Lancer 10 round AR mags. I am very pleased with the build. So far the rifle seems to like the 325gr FTX from Hornady.
the build itself was very easy. The hardest challenge is waiting for the parts to arrive. The easiest way to build this rifle is not the cheapest way to go. I went with the MDT chassis for the Ruger American that takes AR mags. It was not cheap but, no gunsmith interaction required. I went with the 450 BM because the bolt head dimensions are the same for the 458 SOCOM. I though about using a Ruger American Ranch in 300 BO but I would need to modify the bolt face to accept the 458 SOCOM case head. thinking about it now, I suppose you could use a Ruger American Ranch 300BO stock. I think that the 450 BM action will fit. I do not know where you would source one.
X-caliber barrel has been very good. Accuracy has been very good. Shooting a .458 bullet it is hard to measure exact MOA accuracy. So far I can say that I can put 5, 6, 7, etc shots in a 1 inch box without any problem. I am purposely hitting a 36x36 gong at 300 yards with boring regularity. I have not received my suppressor yet. 8 months and counting. No subsonic ammo yet.

If you need GO and NO/GO gauges to mount your barrel, let me know. I have a set. Feel free to borrow them.

Let me now.

Al

southernpew

Bearcat
@Pauerpilot i have been thinking of doing this exact conversion for 2 years now. Just found this forum and thread. Will be ordering a barrel and rifle for Christmas. Thanks for proving this concept will indeed work
Not giving a company $2500 for a 458 bolt rifle. I already load 458 for my 16" Tromix and love it through my Hybrid 46!

Just ordered an X Caliber barrel. They're 20% off currently
16"
Stainless
1:10 twist
3/4" threads
And chose the option for the Ruger American with AR mags.
I sure hope that'll work for me, because I haven't seen the Ruger American 450 that uses AR mags, only AICS. But I do plan on the MDT and AR mag chassis

Last edited:

southernpew

Bearcat
Have you been loading sub-sonic rounds? How much quieter is the rifle with the Hybrid on it?

Yes sir I have. I cast 400, 500, and 600 grain bullets for it. I can get them pretty quiet in my AR, but I plan on this bolt gun being much much quieter!
I will have questions on building this bolt gun. I can help you with load data if you help me build this haha
I'm already $600 deep in barrel and barrel nut

southernpew

Bearcat
@Pauerpilot

When ordering your barrel, did you select 1.13" or 1.30" Tenon? Since the Ruger American Ranch 450 didn't come with AR mags from the factory, but we are using a chassis that does use AR magazines

Last edited:

MGP

Bearcat
458 SOCOM Suppresses very nicely. Not my vid but I'm building one on a Lefthand Ruger American with AICS Mags in a Magpul Hunter Stock. I will have to open the action up above the feed ramp so the fat case can fit through also I'm modifying the Magpul Stock they don't make one in Lefthand

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
@Pauerpilot

When ordering your barrel, did you select 1.13" or 1.30" Tenon? Since the Ruger American Ranch 450 didn't come with AR mags from the factory, but we are using a chassis that does use AR magazines
Tenon?? Where are you sourcing the barrel? I do not recall having to make a selection on the 1.13 vs 1.30 Tenon. I used X-Caliber barrels.

southernpew

Bearcat
Tenon?? Where are you sourcing the barrel? I do not recall having to make a selection on the 1.13 vs 1.30 Tenon. I used X-Caliber barrels.

6th option. I also used X-Caliber barrels

southernpew

Bearcat
Ah!! I said no to that.

Ok. I sent him an email to try and get it changed then. I wasn't sure on that option. Since it's close to the holidays I'm sure he's busy and not answering the phone

Have you shot yours again lately?

And on the go/no go gauges, when the time comes that would be awesome! I will pay the shipping both ways and send you something to say thanks again

Last edited:

southernpew

Bearcat
I ordered an AR mag chassis and an AICS mag chassis from MDT during their big sale. Going to see if the 458 will cycle from a 6BR AICS mag at all. I'm pretty sure it won't cycle from a normal size short action AICS mag being it's basically 1/2" shorter OAL
But we will see

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
Ok. I sent him an email to try and get it changed then. I wasn't sure on that option. Since it's close to the holidays I'm sure he's busy and not answering the phone

Have you shot yours again lately?

And on the go/no go gauges, when the time comes that would be awesome! I will pay the shipping both ways and send you something to say thanks again
I haver shot my rifle. So far the best load out that I have used is the 325gr FTX. The last range session I shot some 300gr Hornady HP. Not so good. The FTX was less than 1.25 MOA. The 300 HP shot around the 3-4 MOA mark. I know that will kill any critter given the size of the round however, the rifle is capable of much better accuracy. I might be a bit of an accuracy snob. I was hitting 200 and 300 yard steel targets with the 325gr FTX easily. Lots of authority.

Let me know when you are ready for the gauges. I will send them out. Just make sure I get them back.

Al

thomasj

Bearcat
@Pauerpilot I'm getting ready to order my barrel while the deal is going on and would be greatly appreciative of the opportunity to borrow your go/no go gauges if the opportunity is still present when my barrel comes in! Thanks for the thread by the way. It inspired me to build my own.

Latest posts