454 price check

Help Support Ruger Forum:

the fatman

Single-Sixer
This is my gun and it is used. So I'm looking for what is a fair asking price to sell it. A price that is fair to both me and a buyer.

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'd think that $700 for a private sale is way high. If you want to sell it, I'd list it at $625-650, and settle for $550-600, which I think you'll have to do. As nice a gun as they are, and I have THREE SRH's ... one in each caliber, they're really nothing special in the used market. Don't get me wrong, I really like them and think they're fantastic guns, I just don't think they'll command much more than $600 used, and that's LNIB, with all the paperwork and any accessories. No box ??? Subtract at least $50.

Good luck with your sale ! I tend to be very realistic when it comes to gun values. Many people think their guns are worth WAY more than they really are. If it's not collectible, it's just a used gun. That could be a tough caliber to move as well, in that size gun. Although I'd LOVE it because I'm a recoil junkie. LOL :D

REV

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Corpulent One,

Take a look on GunBroker, at the completed auctions, and see what they sold for. You have to be a member to see the completed ones, but it's free and they've never spammed me.

These days I don't lose sleep over $50-75 wiggle room on a gun if it means a quicker sale. I don't like to lose money or "give" things away, but if I can move a piece quicker, it's usually worth it. I'd rather have the $600 in hand now, than $650 in 3 weeks...

-- Sam

revhigh

Hawkeye
Good points, Sam.

How do you look at previously completed sales ?? I have a GB account.

REV

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
revhigh":n8d4c8jp said:
Good points, Sam.

REV
Go to "Smart Search" (advanced search), and there's a box labeled "Show Only". It defaults to "Current Auctions", but has a drop down list to selected "Completed Auctions", the last item in the list.

You still need to look at each auction that has bids, because even if it has multiple bids they might not have met the reserve. You'll be surprised at the number with 0 bids. Or not; Some of the starting prices are pretty outrageous.

I was looking for completed auctions of Freedom Arms guns last night, and could find very few that had actually sold. Most had no bids at all.

-- Sam

mrbumps

Blackhawk
A local dealer has a new one. I know the price was between $700 and $800, but I can't remember the exact amount. He also has a used one in .480, but he wants $1000 for it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yosemite Sam":3nv18kbt said:
revhigh":3nv18kbt said:
Good points, Sam.

REV
Go to "Smart Search" (advanced search), and there's a box labeled "Show Only". It defaults to "Current Auctions", but has a drop down list to selected "Completed Auctions", the last item in the list.

You still need to look at each auction that has bids, because even if it has multiple bids they might not have met the reserve. You'll be surprised at the number with 0 bids. Or not; Some of the starting prices are pretty outrageous.

I was looking for completed auctions of Freedom Arms guns last night, and could find very few that had actually sold. Most had no bids at all.

-- Sam

Great info Sam !! Thanks !!

The only 2 in .454 that were actually SOLD were sold for $600 and $599, there was alos one in 44 mag that sold for $650. There were many listed where the bid was $650, but the reserve was not met. So it seems like the 454's are actually selling for right at $600 used, but that is also from dealers. Private would probably be a little less.

Just FYI !

REV

RMWHEELER

Bearcat
Just bought a new Alaskan .454 for $800 at local shop. Gander Mtn. has a scratched up used one for $700 but they usually are a bit higher on guns. I'd say around $675 - $725 if it is in 98-99% range. Great Gun!!

the fatman

Single-Sixer
:D Thanks gentlemen. It's been awhile but I have always swapped or traded for the next gun. And always when buying I'm always told what a great value I'm getting and when I sell they are always a dime a dozen. So I'm not really stuck on the idea that this gun would be the exception to the rule. So I appreciate your input. What I really don't like is buying something and then being told I could of got it at half price somewhere else or selling something and then being told how abused I was. I can live with fair and reasonable. An other problem is what to do with the 1600 CCI mag small rifle primers I over bought. As usual I was way too optimistic about how much I was going to shoot this gun.

the fatman

Single-Sixer
:D You know if I sell this gun there is probably going to be a polar bear outside my apartment door waiting to kick my fat butt. :shock:

rhatimi

Bearcat
Most SRH .454's I've ran into are in the $750-$799 NIB, and that's at gander MT where prices are always high. That being said why the heck are you selling it in the first place? Their great solid guns! :)