454 casull

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
One of my favorite cartridges. You can load it up to WOW level or down to suit your needs. You can also shoot .45 Colt in it if you wish. I don't because I own over a dozen Rugers chambered in .45 Colt ,no need. The .454 is also one of the most accurate cartridges I load for. My Super BlackHawk Bisley and my Toklat ,both are surprisingly accurate. I shoot them better than my .45's . Maybe I concentrate more or control the grip better,I don't know, I just do.

cyberscout19

Single-Sixer
Awesome, Thank gentlemen for the input and your experience. This is my Vito site for info. Thank you.

Cdog

Bearcat
The .454 Casull is far and away my favorite big bore magnum round.

It mates well to the Super Redhawk. I've owned more than a few of this combo and can highly recommend it to anyone serious about power and precision accuracy in a manageable package.

TX Nimrod

Bearcat
The OP doesn't state which pistol he would be buying. He also doesn't mention his experience level with handguns or if he reloads. All these facts should have an effect on our answers to him.

A heavy, long-barreled Ruger with scope will likely kick him less than a FA for example. A short-barreled Ruger Alaskan will be very intimidating to those unaccustomed to powerful revolvers. If the OP has never fired anything more potent than a 9mm he will want to test fire a .454 before he buys it. I see a surprisingly large number of used .454s for sale. I suspect that is because the first trip to the range was too much for newbie big revolver shooters.

If the OP doesn't reload he can always use .45 Colt ammo, but then he doesn't need a big, heavy, expensive .454 revolver to shoot those. He needs to at least shoot a .44 magnum with 300-grain bullets before he shells out the cash for a .454.

All that said, the .454 is an excellent hunting and long range target cartridge. Needlessly powerful for deer perhaps, but it works just fine. And owning one makes one's junk bigger too!