454 Casull with 250gr xtp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfish1247

Bearcat
I picked up a target grey 7.5" srh yesterday. So, that means making some loads for it.

All I have for bullets are 250gr xtp, 200-225gr ftx, and 300gr xtp mag.

I'd like to find a reduced load to use the 250gr xtps. By reduced, I mean in the 1100-1400fps range. I have unique, bullseye, hp38, aa5 to work with.

I looked a FA reloading section and found some loadings with unique and win231, FA clearly states these are for the model 83 only, could I not use the 3/4 power loads and down in the srh?

I've found nothing for aa5 and don't want to use bullseye due to free space in the case. I'd like to think aa5 could be similarly treated like unique, thats what I've found true in other revolver loads.

I have powder for the thunder boomer stuff as well, but that's reserved for 357,41,44, and 460 magnum.

Heck of a first post, huh? Thank you in advance.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
First off,, I'd not worry about the Ruger as compared to the FA 83. Both are strong guns.
Of the powders you list as being available,, I'd say start using the Unique powder,, as it's a tried & proven powder & more forgiving than some of the others. But I'd look for some 4227 as a good powder for that caliber.

I'd do more research in to loads. Follow the manuals. I always suggest that everybody have several manuals to allow you to study, cross reference, and make SAFE loads.

dfish1247

Bearcat
I have imr4227, I figured it would be for the magnum level stuff though. That's how I treat it anyway.

contender

Ruger Guru
IMR 4227 doesn't have to be used for loudenkickenboomer loads. It makes an EXCELLENT mid-range powder for loading. I'd consider using it for your application.

dfish1247

Bearcat
I've never tried it in moderate loads, it and 2400 are filthy on the low magnum loads, Id think it'd be rancid for moderate stuff.

With that said, 4227 has the softest recoil of any magnum powder I've tried and accuracy has either been the best or right at the best. Velocity isn't the highest, but I'd rather my shot go where it's supposed to vs going 100fps faster.

contender

Ruger Guru
I know what you mean about "dirty" powders & such. However,, I prefer accuracy over all else. And I know how to clean a gun. If it shoots the best,, with the dirtiest powder,, so be it. I'll just clean it more often.
I have found 4227 to be an excellent powder for many of my big bore handguns. Good enough,, that yesterday,, while at a gun show,, I saw another 8 lb jug,, and seriously considered asking about it's price. But I didn't, as I still have (2) 8 lb jugs & a few 1 lb jugs.
And I have a couple of guns that like 2400. I wish I could find a few 8 bl jugs at a reasonable price to "stock up."

I have tried using some of the faster powders in my 454 SRH with Starline 454 Casull brass, and I won't do it anymore. Made 100 loads with Win 231 going from 7 to 8.5 grains topped off with 250 grain XTP's. It shot great, but 2 out of 5 (about 40 in all) pieces of brass developed longitudinal cracks the case.

Mind you, I had reloaded that brass 5 or 6 times already without issue (using full house loads of Lil'gun and H110/Win296)., and I have probably another 10 reloadings on them since then (all full house loads) without issue and rarely have a case crack.

My thought is that the cases are very tough, and need the slower powder to expand the case to the cylinder wall slower than a fast burning pistol powder (like 231) does. When a fast powder is used, the case can't stretch fast enough, and will crack.

Either way, Stick to 45 Colt breass for reduced power loads, and use the Casull brass for full power loads, I think you'll be happier in the long run.

dfish1247

Bearcat
Figured I'd update after a few months.

I settled on 13.4gr unique/cci 400 with the 250gr Xtp. With a 2x7 Burris, it hits golf balls at 100yds nonstop. Not for those eat up with arthritis, but nothing awful by any means.

This part wasn't as much fun, I found 300gr Xtp mag with win 296 to do the same at 100yds, albeit a lot more painful. The fireball and the muzzle blast are unreal.

But, I have a plinker and a hunter, so I'm happy.

revolverfan

Bearcat
I have a load in my 4" Redhawk for the 250gr XTP pushed to 1180fps in a Winchester case using 800x and a CCI 300. I made it as a defense load for that particular revolver but expansion and penetration tests tell me it's deer doable. No core separation at that speed. I'm at work. I'll have to look at my notes when I get home for powder charge and COL. You would probabaly get more speed in that longer bbl. Btw it's relatively mild in recoil for what one would think of as a Redhawk load. Noticeably less than running factory 240s in a 4" M29