454 Casull with 250gr xtp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfish1247

Bearcat
I picked up a target grey 7.5” srh yesterday. So, that means making some loads for it.

All I have for bullets are 250gr xtp, 200-225gr ftx, and 300gr xtp mag.

I‘d like to find a reduced load to use the 250gr xtps. By reduced, I mean in the 1100-1400fps range. I have unique, bullseye, hp38, aa5 to work with.

I looked a FA reloading section and found some loadings with unique and win231, FA clearly states these are for the model 83 only, could I not use the 3/4 power loads and down in the srh?

I’ve found nothing for aa5 and don’t want to use bullseye due to free space in the case. I’d like to think aa5 could be similarly treated like unique, thats what I’ve found true in other revolver loads.

I have powder for the thunder boomer stuff as well, but that’s reserved for 357,41,44, and 460 magnum.

Heck of a first post, huh? Thank you in advance.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
First off,, I'd not worry about the Ruger as compared to the FA 83. Both are strong guns.
Of the powders you list as being available,, I'd say start using the Unique powder,, as it's a tried & proven powder & more forgiving than some of the others. But I'd look for some 4227 as a good powder for that caliber.

I'd do more research in to loads. Follow the manuals. I always suggest that everybody have several manuals to allow you to study, cross reference, and make SAFE loads.

contender

Ruger Guru
IMR 4227 doesn't have to be used for loudenkickenboomer loads. It makes an EXCELLENT mid-range powder for loading. I'd consider using it for your application.

dfish1247

Bearcat
I’ve never tried it in moderate loads, it and 2400 are filthy on the low magnum loads, Id think it’d be rancid for moderate stuff.

With that said, 4227 has the softest recoil of any magnum powder I’ve tried and accuracy has either been the best or right at the best. Velocity isn’t the highest, but I’d rather my shot go where it’s supposed to vs going 100fps faster.

contender

Ruger Guru
I know what you mean about "dirty" powders & such. However,, I prefer accuracy over all else. And I know how to clean a gun. If it shoots the best,, with the dirtiest powder,, so be it. I'll just clean it more often.
I have found 4227 to be an excellent powder for many of my big bore handguns. Good enough,, that yesterday,, while at a gun show,, I saw another 8 lb jug,, and seriously considered asking about it's price. But I didn't, as I still have (2) 8 lb jugs & a few 1 lb jugs.
And I have a couple of guns that like 2400. I wish I could find a few 8 bl jugs at a reasonable price to "stock up."

Latest posts