.454 Casull load data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G-30

Bearcat
I just got some Hornady 300gr. XTP Mags and I am looking for load data with H110. This is for my Ruger Super Redhawk in .454

Thanks,

Stacey

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
H-110 is great in the 454. Use mag primers with H-110 and start at 26.5grs(no lower) and max at 28.5grs out of the speer book I have used 31.5grs of H-110 with a 300gr magXTP hornady bullet and got 1495FPS out of my 7.5" SRH at 20 feet over my chronograph. That is a hot load and you will feel it. Use a heavy crimp with any of these loads.

kimberguy2004

Bearcat
My brass also uses small rifle..
300 Gr Hornady XTP Mag over 32gr of H110 is a good load and works well in my Freedom Arms. I would assume a Ruger would hold up to it.. It's certainly a handfull..
That's not a hot-dogger load. A friend got it out of one of his older loading manuals. The current load dat that you get now isa littleon the conservative side, so you're really OK working up to the hotter loads as long as you're looking for pressure signs..

G-30

Bearcat
flatgate":mpbsittn said:
Hmm, the .454 Brass I have uses Small Rifle Primers and Dick Casull recommended Rem 7-1/2's.

flatgate

So would you use just regular Small Rifle Primers ? I have CCI Small Rifle Primers and CCI Magnum Small Rifle Primers.

Thanks,

Stacey

flatgate

Hawkeye
I use Remington 7-1/2 primers. Small rifle, match grade, designed for a bit more pressure.

If Dick Casull says to use them, then I will.

flatgate

Zeus

Blackhawk
I've used all types of small rifle primers as the 7-1/2 primers were very hard to find around my area back then. When I did find some last year, I put about 10,000 of the Remington 7 1/2 away and will use them as Mr. Casull said :) The 300 Grain XTP mag is definitely my FAVORITE bullet in my FA 454. with that bullet I'm getting about 1615 and amazing groups at 100 yards. On game, it is devastating!! I have shot deer at 110 yards that the bullet entered the front of the brisket and traveled lengthwise through the deer exiting the opposite side hindquarter. Only movement was straight down :) That bullet is very hard and don't expect much expansion from it if any. I wouldn't try to max the load out in that gun. I don't know if you have ever taken any game with that handgun but I think you will be presently surprised to find out how effective the 45 caliber slug is at moderate velocities. It will allow you to enjoy the shooting much more and you will never know the difference on the game that you shoot most likely. Full house loads are fun here and there but the lower power ones are MUCH more enjoyable. I rarely shoot the 1600+ loads in my FA anymore. Its just not needed. In fact, I used that FA this past week to shoot a 225 pound Merino Sheep at 95 yards. The sheep dropped at the shot and never moved. The load that I used may shock you....it was a bullet cast relatively soft from a RCBS 270 SAA mold over a mild 12 grains of HS6 in 45 Colt brass. That load is traveling about 950 fps from that revolver. So, bullet weight and caliber account for a lot when hunting with sixguns. These guns don't have to be run full bore to be effective. Good luck with the 454!! Enjoy it....GS

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Yes my brass uses small rifle primers but I use mag primers(small rifle) myself. If Dick says he uses rem 7 1/2 then I would not argue that they would not work. I use mag primers with my loads. Some of the early brass used large pistol primers but the newer stuff all uses the rifle primers. I did not mean to confuse anyone about using pistol(mag or regular) in the 454.

Latest posts