.45 Throat reamer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Anyone have a .4525 Throat reamer I could borrow? Or alternatively any gunsmiths here that would do it if I sent you my cylinders? I have a new vaquero with 2 cylinders that will pass a .451 jacketed bullet with finger pressure but will not pass my hand cast .452s.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
You can rent one from here, or I'm sure member DougGuy would do them for you.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=252314

USAFA71

Bearcat
I sent both cylinders of my convertible to DougGuy for reaming and could not be any happier. He did an excellent job, the turn around time was less than a week, and he kept me informed on his progress. And the guns shoot great with cast bullets! Will be sending him cylinders from my 41 magnums for treatment in the near future.

contender

Ruger Guru
While I own my own reaming tools,,, I have also used DougGuy for other services. I can not recommend his services highly enough. He's excellent,, his prices are fair,,, and his turn around is fast. If you only have one or two guns,, it's cheaper than buying tools,, and comparable to renting them.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
SHOOT the pistol first as you may be in for a most welcome surprise, Sir !!
And so it goes...

As in that's going to magically make the cylinder throats from .451" to .452" somehow?

If you took your car to a mechanic because it was running poorly and the mechanic said to simply drive the car, it might get better, would you take the car back to him again?

It's a known fact that a .452" bullet cannot pass through a .451" throat and emerge at .452" in diameter. It's a known fact that uneven cylinder throats produce variations in pressure that cause the gun to shoot to different points of impact because these variations cause the gun to recoil differently in the shooter's hands from shot to shot.

The most welcome surprise comes when the cylinder throats are all "dimensionally corrected" to deliver the .452" bullet to the barrel at .452" diameter, causing groups shrink noticeably and the barrel to magically quit leading.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
DougGuy said:
WIL TERRY said:
And so it goes...

As in that's going to magically make the cylinder throats from .451" to .452" somehow?

If you took your car to a mechanic because it was running poorly and the mechanic said to simply drive the car, it might get better, would you take the car back to him again?

It's a known fact that a .452" bullet cannot pass through a .451" throat and emerge at .452" in diameter. It's a known fact that uneven cylinder throats produce variations in pressure that cause the gun to shoot to different points of impact because these variations cause the gun to recoil differently in the shooter's hands from shot to shot.

The most welcome surprise comes when the cylinder throats are all "dimensionally corrected" to deliver the .452" bullet to the barrel at .452" diameter, causing groups shrink noticeably and the barrel to magically quit leading.

YOU have a lot to learn Sonny boy !!! And your car/gun analogy is too effin lame for words as YOU JUST FRICKIN DO NOT KNOW, SIR !!!

And so it goes...

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Quite often Rugers with slightly tight throats shoot surprisingly good. Reaming the throats does not always improve accuracy although ,if done right ,it wont make one shoot worse. Wil Terry's suggesting testing first will give you a base to judge any improvement and may convince you that your gun shoots good enough as is. Don't forget to try different diameter bullets also. I have a Bisley .45 that just loves 250 gr. Kieth bullets sized to .451 but only shoots so-so with .452's.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
DougGuy said:
WIL TERRY said:
And so it goes...

YOU have a lot to learn Sonny boy !!! And your car/gun analogy is too effin lame for words as YOU JUST FRICKIN DO NOT KNOW, SIR !!!

And so it goes...

I'm not your or anybody elses SONNY BOY ahole. I am well into my 60s, GOOD at what I do, and if you turned out a FOURTH of the Ruger cylinders I turn out year after year, I would almost respect your telling me I don't know squat from shinola. However, this is NOT THE CASE.

What IS the case, is that the gentleman posted with an honest mathematical measurement of his cylinder, which 3rd grade math will tell you that he CANNOT pass a .452" boolit through the throats, what part of that escaped your grasp?

I have done hundreds of cylinders and hundreds of barrels. Cylinders maybe close to a thousand. Maybe more than a thousand I quit counting. I have Manson, Clymer, PT&G reamers, a Sunnen hone with several thousand dollars worth of pistol caliber mandrels and a COMPLETE selection of stones in aluminum oxide, silicon carbide, borazon and diamond.

With all that work done, I have not had ONE PERSON tell me that having their cylinder throats sized to .4525" has had a negative effect on groups or leading. WE all know that FITMENT IS KING! You are still stuck at failing the math. I hardly think you are in any position to make a statement on what I might or might not know.

Sakoluvr

Single-Sixer
protoolman said:
Anyone have a .4525 Throat reamer I could borrow? Or alternatively any gunsmiths here that would do it if I sent you my cylinders? I have a new vaquero with 2 cylinders that will pass a .451 jacketed bullet with finger pressure but will not pass my hand cast .452s.

Call Dave Clements. VERY fair prices from a well known pistol smith. Compare prices and you will see what I mean. See number 35 on this page:
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/miscconversionoptions.html

I have used him 2x and regret when I have not used him. He is tooled up to do the job right and is a true pistol smith. Some of the big name writers have used him and mentioned his name in articles.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
The real problem with my .45 acp cylinder is if you load a 245 gr keith bullet that he designed for the .45 auto rim into regular acp brass it will not chamber. There is a full caliber driving band (of course sized to .452) ahead of the case mouth. My research on blackhawks and vaqueros says others with this problem have had the trouble cleared up by reaming to .4525. Apparently the ridge for headspacing on the case mouth is just fine. Right now any bullet with a front driving band will not work until this is done. The gun shoots fine otherwise. I think Ruger runs them a bit tight which works ok for all diameters including .451 jacketed. I shoot all hand cast and common sense tells you that opening up the chamber will work better for that. I will be contacting Doug to see what we can do. Thanks for the info all.

Oh and Wil, as for the advice to shoot it first: Its not a new gun its a New Vaquero meaning I've had it a good while and shot hundreds of rounds already. I've been shooting 45 blackhawks since 1984 so I'm well aware of the situations and remedies with tight throats, barrel constrictions etc.

isaactc

Bearcat
USAFA71 said:
I sent both cylinders of my convertible to DougGuy for reaming and could not be any happier. He did an excellent job, the turn around time was less than a week, and he kept me informed on his progress. And the guns shoot great with cast bullets! Will be sending him cylinders from my 41 magnums for treatment in the near future.
I am another Dog Guy fan. he HONES the cylinder to exactly 0.4525. Honing is much better than reaming, and Mr. Guy is fast and the same price a gunsmith charges
for reaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts