45 mag in a Redhawk 45/45ACP.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cowboy77845

Bearcat
I have a Ruger Redhawk 45/45acp. I read a John Taffin article that it is safe to shoot 45 mags in this revolver. I tried it and I get similar results from the 45 LC and the 45 mag. I understand that Ruger did not specify 45 mag for use in this revolver but if the cylinder is the same one used in the SBH In believe I would be OK. I have 45 mag rounds remaining from my 45 mag Wildey days. I went to the internet to locate the article again. Could not find it. Did find an American Handgunner article he did that that contradicted the previous article I noted. Comments please.

tinman

Buckeye
After running some Garrett Hammerheads (45 Colt) thru mine, I don't think I need (or want) any more power from this (little) gun. Other than just burning up your stock of 45mag ammo, are you looking for anything else or just confirming that 45mag can be used?

cowboy77845

Bearcat
Just confirming 45 mag can be used. I must have about 10 or so boxes. (that's probably a lifetime supply for me. Got old too soon) I like the round and deer hunt amongst Corriente cattle. Never had a problem with them but like the comfort of the revolver.

John P.

Bearcat
I have a Redhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP also. It will take anything the Blackhawk can, and will chamber longer (heavier) bullets. That being said, the hottest I have gone is a .45-270-SAA and 19 grains of 2400. My standard load is a cast 250 grain RNFP and 9.5 grains of Unique. Either load will handle deer sized game.

Try here:

Ruger's versatile Redhawk: now in .45 Colt/.45 ACP, and--surprise!--.45 Winchester mag.
Author: Taffin, John
Date: Apr 1, 2016
Words: 2454
Publication: Guns Magazine
ISSN: 1044-6257
In 1992 while on assignment touring gunmakers in the East, I found myself in Bill Ruger's office to conduct an interview. During our conversation I asked him about bringing out a .45 Colt Redhawk. I have no way of knowing if it had any bearing on his decision, but I at least like to think the fact we now have a Redhawk chambered in the grand old cartridge had something to do with our conversation that day.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/_/print/PrintArticle.aspx?id=444596195

Rclark

Hunter
First time I've heard of .45 Win Mag ... Had to go look at up... Goes to show, one can still learn something new. At 40K, it is quite a bit above .45 Colt Ruger Only Loads and being rimless ya need moon clips. Born in '79, but from what I read it never caught on, except in a few niches.

Enjoy your Redhawk!