.45 LONG COLT MY PERFECT CHOICE, WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

For me there is no decision to make as the Long Colt is in my opinion a do all cartridge, except maybe really dangerous bear and African game of the most dangerous kind. What do you think can do better??

I load my vaquero (OLD MODEL) down with 200grn. swc's and 8.3 grn of dirt (unique) nice load no recoil and accurate, I feel this is a most perfect load for self defense it just needs a GP-100 w/5 shot cylinder, PLEASE RUGER? PLEASE!

Or my Blackhawk with 25 grn. of 296 and a 255 swc, ( I also use the Honaday 250 xtp with this charge) I have proven this load to out shine my old SBH, out to 100yrds,or a little more. Or I can load the L.C. Blackhawk with my custom 340grn. flat point and (I'll only say stiff charges of 296) and would trust 6 of these on Really big Bear THEY ARE OVERKILL ON WHITETAIL! under 100yrds.

I shoot all but the 340grn. load in my Vaquero (OLD MODEL) as well, they just don't shoot to point of aim,

I , as you can tell I Love the .45 Long Colt and have told all why, I would just like to hear others opinion on there thoughts to the WHAT and WHY!

The SRH .454 I use but, for what I hunt I don't really need it, it's nice in deer season if shots over 100yrds. out to 200yrds. or a little over are needed! and is not a real controllable self defense cartridge.

TRanger

Blackhawk
I, too, prefer the .45 Colt as my favorite handgun cartridge. The .45 Colt does about any reasonable job that is appropriate for a handgun without the blast and recoil of a magnum. I once preferred the .44 Magnum and shot it a great deal as a young man; but ultimately found the old .45 filled the bill just as well. The .44 Special would come in a close second. I still have .44 Magnums and shoot them occasionally; but they don't get much use anymore.

the fatman

Single-Sixer
It's kind of a controversy round. But from what I have read. If I was just now getting into revolvers I think it would be my choice. Seems to do anything you would need a revolver for well.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I shoot the 44 mag. for my do everything round. I do own a 45 colt, in a s & w 25-5, but its never been shot in 32 years. The flexibility and availibility of factory loads were why I picked it in the first place. Now, it is an old friend. I got 12 revolvers and a marlin 1894 in 44 mag along with a 44 special.

REP1954

Blackhawk
I do have a favorite gun but not because of a caliber it's the whole package. I'm going to pick the 357 Mag. at the risk of getting booed here. It will do anything that I require of a gun right now. I have plenty of other calibers and enjoy them all but I fine the 357 the most enjoyable to shoot.

the fatman":3gxklcas said:
It's kind of a controversy round. But from what I have read. If I was just now getting into revolvers I think it would be my choice. Seems to do anything you would need a revolver for well.

The only controversy is the proper name for the cartridge. .45 Colt. Any question as to it's longevity (136 years and counting) have long since been erased. As to ballistics, in a modern revolver, it has even taken the large bears mentioned above. Don't know about it's record in Africa, since I don't live there and have no desire to go.

the fatman

Single-Sixer
writwing I was refering to the fact that some don't believe in the ruger blackhawk only loads that expand the use of the 45 colt to cover 44 mag territory. :D

REP1954":2e2y9qqe said:
I do have a favorite gun but not because of a caliber it's the whole package. I'm going to pick the 357 Mag. at the risk of getting booed here. It will do anything that I require of a gun right now. I have plenty of other calibers and enjoy them all but I fine the 357 the most enjoyable to shoot.

Why would anyone Boo the .357 S&W magnum. It is probably the best medium caliber cartridge ever invented. Loaded down, it's a great plinker. Midrange loadings make it a premier self defense round. And the top end make it a viable handgun hunting cartridge for up to medium sized game. The only fault I ever see is when someone mentions it as a (oh boy I get to mention it here :D ) bear defens round. And heck, for black bear it would probably suffice, but just barely.

REP1954

Blackhawk
Jeepnik, It all just matters who's the aggressor you or the black bear and the size of the black bear. Where I live most are the size of a large dog.

the fatman

Single-Sixer
Jeepnik read fourm posts on this site and google alittle bit yourself if you have never picked up on the fact that some people think that it is nuts to load up the 45 colt.

Rclark

Hunter
.45 Colt. Just cause. :) . It will do whatever I ask of it. Load hot to light. Just feels good to have a .45 Colt 'in hand' . To shoot it. To kick out the big empties... Ahhhh, nothing quite like it. Nostalgic? You bet.... And fun too. The wittle bitty .38/.357 just doesn't give the same feeling :p , but my wife prefers it over the .44/.45.... So I keep a couple .357 revolvers around...for her sake ;) . The .357 is definitely cheaper to feed .... but then I have .22 for 'cheap' plinking/varmitting too.

Axehandle

Buckeye
Make my modern 45 Colt a 454........ I walk around most factory 45 Colt revolvers. I pretty much consider my 5 shot 45 Colt Rugers and FAs the equal of the 454... I like 300-350 grain hard cast bullets and slow burning powder in them... Of course I am a fool for a .43 bore in a 44 Special, 44 mag, 445 SM, or 444 too.... :D

the fatman":3f1oe1tl said:
Jeepnik read fourm posts on this site and google alittle bit yourself if you have never picked up on the fact that some people think that it is nuts to load up the 45 colt.

Won't disagree that some folks think it's unwise. And, it is for some older firearms. But with a modern revovler and modern cases? Buffalo Bore offerings in both calibers show just how close they are.

jengel

Bearcat
I really like my .45 Colt Blackhawk and I think it is a great all around cartridge. I also like my .41 mag equally as well.

Put

Single-Sixer
It is a hard decision. I have both the 357 GP100 and a Vaquero in 45 Colt. When I go to shoot them I never come home with unfired rounds of either one. I do like the 357 and have a Marlin in one also. I would like to get a 50th Flattop soon. But those big ol 45 cases going into that big ol cylinder and that big ol BOOM is rather addicting!!

Revolverman357

Bearcat
I really do love the 45 Colt cartridge. It will do all I need it to do.
I have 3 Vaquero's in 45 Colt, a S&W 625 Mountain Gun, and an EMF Hartford '92 levergun.

I have vaquero's and Blackhawks in .357 also, but my favorite is still the 45 Colt. I just shoot it better.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

I've lost count of how many 45 Colt single action revolvers I have at this point. Probably close to a dozen. My first was a Blackhawk convertable with 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinders. I bought it brand spanky new back around 1975 or so for $150.

I have no idea why I bought it, I already had a 22 and a 357. Probably just thought the cartridge was really cool. Probably wathced too many episodes of Gunsmoke and all the other Westerns of the 50's and 60's.

I haven't fired a 45 Colt loaded with Smokeless in a number of years now. All of mine are loaded with a case full of FFg Black Powder and a 250 grain bullet.

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I love my 5.5 Blackhawk convertable, which has been Bisleyized with a Bownen rear sight and #5 base pin. .45 ACP, or .45 Colt, loaded from blackpowder levels, up to 32,000 psi, anything in north america is not a problem. Not that I want to push it.