.45 LC SUPER BRASS BLACKHAWK

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Redstick

Single-Sixer
This is one I've been wanting to get together, but haven't had as much time for since I ran into this little problem... Set it aside to "think on it awhile", I reckon.
CRIM0017.jpg

See the space between the EJRH and the barrel? The screw is tight. The shoulder in the hole of the EJRH is oversize so the shoulders of the screw head pass right through, instead of tightening it down.

A .22 shell fits the hole of the EJRH perfectly! Should I cut down the .22 shell, drill a hole in the head of it for the screw to go through and use it for a washer :?: Any better ideas :?: Should I use solder too or just wait to see if it flies off when I shoot!? :shock:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I think I'd make a washer out of steel that would go in the housing that would let the screw exert it's proper clamping force.

I had one of those brass housings and it took a little fitting but otherwise gave me no trouble.

flatgate

Redstick

Single-Sixer
There isn't much of a shoulder in the EJRH hole. I'd be afraid the steel washer would cut through more of the brass, making the problem worse. I'm going to make a piece out of the .22 shell and then see how it goes together. Meb'be solder the piece inside the EJRH if it looks alright. Meanwhile, let's hear any other ideas.

DGW1949

Hunter
Either steel or brass should work but the steel washer would surely be stronger. Twere it me though, and if I was going to use the cartridge-head trick, I'd drill the hole in the case head first then cut it off afterwards.

Hope this helps.

DGW

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Ahhh.... No 22LR cases please.

Do the right thing and solder a piece of brass rod in the hole. Then re drill to the right size to obtain the proper shoulder size. Then reinstall.

Greebe

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Greebe":2cqy92t1 said:
Ahhh.... No 22LR cases please.

Do the right thing and solder a piece of brass rod in the hole. Then re drill to the right size to obtain the proper shoulder size. Then reinstall.

Greebe

This sounds like what would be best so far, but you're talkin' about a solid brass rod with no hole at all instead of the .22 shell though; right? Why not just use the .22 shell, cause it's already the right size? I'd be afraid to get "off" drilling the new hole through the solid brass.

Greebe is more on target, 'cause something steel would just eat away more of the brass. An over-size screw would just make the hole more over-size and it's already soooo over-size that there's hardly any meat there for the screw to clamp down.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
I rethought this and my suggestion is this:

Put the brass rod into a lathe. Drill the ID hole first to the proper size. Once that is done turn down the OD of the rod to so that it is a press fit into the current hole in the ERH. Part off the bushing that you just made and press it into place and then solder it together. File, sand and polish. Reinstall, problem solved.

The reason I would not use a 22lr case is that it is not the "right" way to do it. That is just my opinion though and you are free to do whatever you like. Imagine if you took it to a gunsmith and that is the way it was returned to you. Bad mojo.

My concern with the 22lr case idea is that you may potentially muck up the ERH after shooting it for a while as there will be slop in the set up. This would possibly cause it to become damaged further, thus compounding your problems.

Greebe

it would help if you "fit" the inside end, (ID of the hole in the frame as well as the shoulde of the housing so that at least it will "lay flat" not be "sprung looking as it is..then there will ne NOP dwonward pressure to pull through using the shim..or as said fill it, redrill it....either way...does look neat though.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Greebe":1rmk225h said:
Out of curiosity where did you get the ERH? Do you know who makes it?

Greebe

This one came from a gun show in AZ. There's no one making them now, that I know of; not available except on the used market.

Redstick

Single-Sixer
Greebe":3eumkt9n said:
What did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? It is a nice looking set up.

I paid TOO MUCH for it, 'specially in this condition, but otherwise I wouldn't have one at all. Wanted one and looked for one for this for a long time 'fore this one was ever located.

CRIM0016.jpg

CRIM0015.jpg

It fits against the barrel good and stays right there unless you pull outward on the EJRH.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
That is sweet looking. Maybe I will start making a few for sale around here. Anyone interested?

Greebe

flatgate

Hawkeye
Caravelle made them in the '80's. They also made Brass Super Blackhawk grip frames.

My Caravelle Brass Ejector Housing fit my Liberty .45 quite well with minimum fitting. I've since sent it East to the "Class of Brass" house.... :D

flatgate