45 lc Montado

Help Support Ruger Forum:

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
Just picked up my new Montado and being new here I may have missed a post about it,but when did Ruger start leaving off the grooves on the front of the grip frame?I like it like that.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
I was not aware that they did this. Hopefully someone can enlighten us. :?

I would really like to own a Montado someday, in either .357 or .45. Like you, I preferred them with the grooved front strap.

I wonder if they did this to conform to some silly SASS rule. The cowboy action guys dictate much of what Ruger does with their Vaquero models, as it probably should be, since these are the guys who butter Ruger's bread. Anyone know if SASS rules say you can't have grooves on your grip, even for mounted shooting?

A

Anonymous

Cowboy Action no grooves. Mounted Shooting can have grooves. By the way its the territorial governors who do the rules for SASS. They figure that the grooves enhance your grip and that the grooves are not historical.Ruger is producing a vaquero for SASS that looks like the montado with out the grooves but I think it is only being produce in 357 mag right now.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
SASS rulesmasters told Ruger they'd go along with everything else on the Montado, hammer included (also legalizing the SBH hammer on New Vaqueros, probably Old Vaqs as well), but the grooves were over the top.

sash

Bearcat
I've got one of the grooved Montados and one without grooves, both in .45 Colt. While the grooves look nice, I don't find they help with anything at all, given that they are vertical.

JNewell

Single-Sixer
sash":1enxwhan said:
I've got one of the grooved Montados and one without grooves, both in .45 Colt. While the grooves look nice, I don't find they help with anything at all, given that they are vertical.

Mine's grooved. I agree with you...