45 lc caster and shooter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
Is there a GOOD reason that I cannot use the same bullet in the 45 lc that I use in 45 acp? I realize that it is not the best choice, but it will only be until I get the 45 carbine and need the flat nose.

I know this is a reloading question, but it is more importantlly a gun question as the planned guns are Ruger single actions.

Any ACP bullet can be used in the 45C, the problem is bullet dia., most ACP'a use .451-.452 whereas the 45C usualy requires ..453-.454.
Slugging the cylinder throats/barrels will tell which dia is needed.
As far as style is conserned a 230gr rnfp will work in all fairly well.

By the way, what's a two bit okie doing in AZ? :lol: :lol:

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I recently bought 500 230gr LRN bullets. I loaded 300 of them for my 45 ACP and 200 of them in 45 Colts cases. I shot about 100 of them Saturday from both my Blackhawk and my Vaquero and was very pleased with the results.

At .452", they are the same diameter as the typical 250gr SWC bullets I normally use for 45 Colt.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Pre-war Colts had .454" +/- grove diameter barrels. After the war Colt reduced this to .452 or so in order to use the same tooling for the .45 Colt and ACP barrels.
Modern guns can easily use the bullet intended for the .45 ACP and usually do it with very good accuracy.

The only thing you'll have to work on is getting your dies and brass set up to grip the smaller bullet tight. Then a good taper or roll crimp and you're all set.

Joe

Most current Ruger barrels are sized at .451" for the jacketed bullets, but will work just fine with .452" lead bullets.

Cylinder throats, however, may be considerably undersized.

:D

DGW1949

Hunter
I understand the question....but It aint clear to me, as to how you need to apply the answer.

So FWIW....

Far as diameter, modern 45's are .451-.452, or there abouts...so no problem there.
Problem is though, .45ACP bullets lack a crimp groove....which you'll surely need for working the cartridges through a levergun. That, and a perty-heavy crimp is nessesary to prevent bullet set-back due to the compressed mag spring and/or recoil. One can get around not having a crimp groove though, but it may require some extra work and tooling.

You might also find that the COL of a 45LC round which has been loaded with a 45ACP bullet aint right for a particular levergun...some of which are rather sensative to what length ammo they'll reliably feed.
Nothing to do there but try it and see.

Then there's the accuracy thing. Meaning that every 45LC gun that I've had prefers a heavier/longer bullet than is common to the 45ACP. Reason for that is..... most 45ACP guns have a different twist rate than 45LC guns.
Up close, it may not matter much. But at distance, it becomes rather apparent.

Anyhow....yeah, it'll work.
How well it works will depend on how you load your ammo, and how fickle your your particular gun is.

Hope this helps.

DGW

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
+1 for the RCBS 230 CM bullet for 45 Colt. Can be a problem in ACP as the bullet nose needs to clear the mag catch on the slide lock inside the frame. Some of my 1911's hang up, the bullet catches on the mag catch nib, unless the bullet is seated deep.

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
thanks for all the feedback. My situation is that I have molds for the 452xxx 230gr round nose for the acp. When I get the lc I have a mold that will do for my shooting for a while. I am an old wuss any more and dont like recoil. I usually shoot 200 gr in the 44 mag. ( I do have a 310 gr mold for heavy stuff)

I just wanted to know if there was good reason to not use the acp mold in long colt.

DGW1949

Hunter
Just be mindfull of your neck tension, and the fact that some RNL bullets are more "pointy" than others....both of which are considerations for a levergun.
My RCBS dies can be adjusted to roll-crimp over the driving-band on most ACP lead bullets, but that alone don't keep them from being forced deeper in the case....hence the need for lots of neck tension.

Hope this helps.

DGW

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
Hello,

I've had good performance from the generic cast 230gr LRN bullets intended for the 45 ACP in both 45 ACP and 45 Colt, using RCBS die sets. But at the end of the day nothing beats a 255gr LSWC and 9gr of Unique in the 45 Colt!

andyo5

Single-Sixer
wild_weasel":q6yuljqo said:
Hello,

I've had good performance from the generic cast 230gr LRN bullets intended for the 45 ACP in both 45 ACP and 45 Colt, using RCBS die sets. But at the end of the day nothing beats a 255gr LSWC and 9gr of Unique in the 45 Colt!

...except maybe a 255g LSWC over 12.0g of HS6.

Latest posts