45 Colt vs 44 Mag for main big-bore platform

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WFRII

Bearcat
I'm just about to make a decision to get out of .44 mag altogether!
I have the following in .45 Colt:
S&W Mtn Guns
DSC_0017-1.jpg

S&W Classic 5" and Ruger BH .45 Colt
DSC_0019-1.jpg

For no more than I hunt/carry a DA big-bore revolver I think I would be fairly comfortable relying on the .45 Colt for just about any application.
The only down side I see is ammo availability. If for some reason you don't bring it with you then you're probably not going to find any on the local store shelves.
I have a RCBS Rockchucker press set up and wil be learning to reload very soon. I figure to load 250-255 SWC @ 850-950 fps for the S&W's and if I need anything hotter I can go with the Rugers.
Since I will be giving up a 29 Classic 5" in .44 mag I would like to replace it with a 5.5" Redhawk in .45 Colt.
I know the current Redhawk is available in 4.2" barrel.
How difficult will it be for me to find a gently used 5.5" Redhawk and what price range should I expect to pay for one?
If I get out of .44 mag I will be down to .38/.357, .45 ACP, .45 Colt and one Glock 9mm.
Other than limited ammo selection are there any other negatives to this idea?
Thanks!
WFR

BearStopper

Blackhawk
My personal opinion is simply shoot what you like. I have several different calibers and am fine with that. I don't have a 45 colt simply because I haven't run across one that tickles my fancy but in essence the two will do the same job especially if you handload. There are dozens of reasons back and forth why some like one versus the other but it sounds like you like the 45 Colt better so why not jump all the way in. I personally like the good old .44 mag for all around heavy loads but only because I have 4 revolvers in that caliber and all shoot well and so why go get a slew of 45 Colts. I think I will get only one in that caliber and I just may shoot black powder out of it just for fun.

gunman42782

Hunter
Can't argue with BearStopper's logic. I have toyed with the idea of having only one caliber, just to make life simple. When I first started shooting, I thought that caliber would be .357, so I bought about 6 (to the best of my poor memory) different revolvers in that caliber. I soon got very bored shooting and reloading the same caliber! Now, I reload for at least 8 different pistol calibers!

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Why limit yourself? What are you trying to accomplish by settling on a "main" platform? Do you intend to sell all your guns in other calibers?

I don't mean to be a smart a$$, I go through this from time to time myself. But as others have said, shoot what you like. If you end up with a couple of .44s and a couple of .45s, so what?

But then again, after 35 years of playing I can't decide if I'm a bassist or a guitarist, or now a banjo player. Similarly, I like shooting .22LR some days, and .44 magnums others. Rifles, then handguns, then shotguns. I shoot my semi-autos more in the winter because the brass is easier to find in the low grass. Hey, I like guns. :) (I think there's even a video...)

I like knives, too. It cracks me up to see guys selling one $50 knife to buy another $50 knife. Is it really going to kill them to own two?

If you decide to limit your big bores to one caliber it just means you'll shoot more of that one caliber -- it's not like you're going to save money by buying one size bullet. If money is really an issue the .44 will be marginally cheaper ($5/1000 bullets or so...), and a lot cheaper if you shoot commercial loads.

-- Sam

COR

Blackhawk
Everyone knows that the man with ONLY ONE GUN needs a .44 Special It is not argueable...It's been scientifically proven.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
COR":3p1orpjp said:
Everyone knows that the man with ONLY ONE GUN needs a .44 Special It is not argueable...It's been scientifically proven.
I thought it was scientifically proven that the square of the bore of the .45 Colt produced the most pleasing recoil pulse.

But I digress into fancy... :D

-- Sam

revhigh

Hawkeye
COR":1szu3r55 said:
Everyone knows that the man with ONLY ONE GUN needs a .44 Special.

44 Special ????? Nah ... I like REAL guns .... :D

REV

Rclark

Hunter
Personally (yep, me talk'n), you should have at least one in the 'standard' calibers. My 'standard' calibers are .22LR, .357Mag, .44Mag, and .45 Colt. That covers 'all' the bases in my mind.... As I reload, I can load each to the power I want or need. Then specialize. For me that is going to be .45 Colt Single Actions and not necessarily just Rugers. Also, none are going to be Stainless.... Well, the only exception may be Freedom Arms as I don't think they offer anything else but Stainless..... :( .

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I shoot mostly .44 Magnum/Spl. I have one of the stainless Bisley 45/45 convertables and a 1911-A1 in .45 ACP as well. The 1911 is the only reason that I have kept the Acusport 45/45 since I need the .45 ACP ammo anyway.
Bottom line is that the .44 and the Rugerized .45 Colt are close enough that I wouldn't need both. And I prefer the .44 Magnum. Now I am not saying that I wouldn't buy another calibered gun just that the caliber would have to be enough different to warrant having.

Pal Val

Buckeye
So, we come back to the Ginger vs Mary Ann debate. Frankly, I wouldn't mind having a threesome with both. :lol:

Well, one can always dream, right?

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I like the .45 because the bullet's cross-sectional area is about 11% larger than the .44 mag. :lol:

deac45

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":kg463esz said:
I thought it was scientifically proven that the square of the bore of the .45 Colt produced the most pleasing recoil pulse.
-- Sam

Gotta be something to that. If I'm going to shoot full house 44 Mag level loads...I'd rather do it in a 45 Colt! I think by now we've all seen the Linebaugh writings on the subject. Given the same bullet weight pushed to the same velocity... the 45 Colt does it not only with less chamber pressure but in a shorter barrel to boot. After shooting and seeing for myself, that is what sold me on the 45.

Here's the link for anyone who hasn't read it or just wants a refresher on the data.
http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/h ... ullets.htm

deac45

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I feel like if it wasn't for Cowboy Action Shooting there wouldn't even be a 45 Colt anymore. Why do you need a mostly empty case?? :?

...Jimbo

Meeteetse

Bearcat
Like some of you I like to stick to the standard calibers; .22LR, .357, .44mag and .45 Colt. The .44 spec and the .45 Colt are similar to me in felt recoil and performance in standard loads. I have a double action and single action revolver in each caliber.

I also shoot 9mm and 45 acp occasionally, but lately they have been put on the shelf. I have a semi-auto and revolver in each caliber but they just don't do anything for me, so they sit.

Personally the .22LR and the .45 Colt are the most fun to shoot. One is cheap and one just puts a grin on my face without putting a sting in my hand. I am comfortable that the .45 Colt can do whatever I ask or need and I can shoot it in either a S&W Mtn. Gun or a Ruger Vaquero. What else do I need !!??

Wild Bill '67

Single-Sixer
The .45 Long Colt is a handloader's dream. Especially if you have a Ruger SA or DA wheelgun to take it up to the cartridge's limits.

OTOH, locally .44 magnum is easier to find on the shelves if you don't reload.

Still, keep the magnum and enjoy the .45 for fun.

dougader

Hunter
Jimbo357mag":119aiyay said:
I feel like if it wasn't for Cowboy Action Shooting there wouldn't even be a 45 Colt anymore. Why do you need a mostly empty case?? :?

...Jimbo

You're loading all wrong, pard. ;)

A 335 grain WFNGC with 22.0 - 23.5 grains H110 isn't mostly empty.

texaswheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Why limit yourself to one? You can have both; who knows, you might change your mind after you get rid of the 5" S&W and then you'll be sorry.

I wouldn't get rid of that 5" right now. Give yourself at least a year; if you still feel the same, then think about giving it up.

Sometimes, I think I can do without one of my handguns that I've had for a long time; but then, as time passes, I'll come back around to it and get it out of the safe and find that I'm interested in it again.