45 Colt Shotshell Loading?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
My 45 colt shotshells should be here today, empty Speer capsuls from Midway. I have done 38 shotshells in the past & was wondering if there are any tips from other loaders? My plan was to cut open a few older shotgun shells for some #8 shot, the smallest I have easily available. I have 45 Schofield & 45 colt brass & was planning to go with the longer colt brass.

I have a fair selection of handgun powders & as of now plan the starting charge of Titegroup. I don't have the data in front of me but thought is was about 5.0 grains. I have a new & older Speer manual & they cover handgun shotshell reloading, but no specific loads for the 45 Colt. Anyway, just asking.

contender

Ruger Guru
When I start a new loading of an unknown like this, I load up the shot capsules,, & weigh a bunch of them,, then average the weight out. Next,, I go to the loading manuels,, and select a powder charge under lead bullets with a similar weight. I start from there to get what I need.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
As someone who's extensively messed with homegrown shotshells in various sixgun calibers, I can say that the factory CCI stuff is hard to beat for the odd pest unless you intend to fire a LOT of them or just like tinkering at the bench...Both valid reasons IMO.... :wink: BTW, a note of warning. When testing shot cartridges at short range, beware of shot bouncing back at you. Wear eye protection! :shock:

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. I got them today & Sharp shooter is right. They have data included with the empty capsuls. It lists 5.7 grns of Titegroup & a few other choices. The other methods would of worked too. I'll just go with the 5.7 & the COL as listed. I have to keep up with my buddy & his 'Judge'.

RFP

Bearcat
I have some loaded with 5.7 grns titegroup 1.575 coal but use 12 shot.

GP100man

Buckeye
I`ve not loaded any for 45 , but 357 mag , my fair share & then some!! & used em for the intended purpose!!!

I take a MAX case form it to fit in the cyl .
I mainly did this because of the plastic cups would jump the crimp (factory& handloaded)& tie up the revolver being used !

I like #9-10 shot , it`s a happy medium between pattern density& kinetic energy per pellet.

On the left is a 357 mag & the rite a 357MAX .

shotshells-1.jpg

GPSnake.jpg

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I'll load up what I have(50 capsuls) & maybe next time I'll try the wads,glue, & do it yourself methods.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Hmmm...I like your idea GP100man, good looking rounds. How much shot can you put in the MAX case? (Wish I'd had one last week when I fired three .45 bullets at a moving 4' rattler scooting for cover in the brush! Was a nice hatband... :evil: )

GP100man

Buckeye
Bucks Owin

I purty sure the Max case holds 190grs. of #9 shot .

It`s accordin to what kind of powder ya use really & how much space is left .

I use & get good results with CLAYS.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
That 190 grains of shot would be more than the capsules, they hold about 161 grains of shot. I have some unused M-L wads laying around, maybe I have to fashion some to hold below & above the shot with glue for reinforcement.

No I don't even shoot the friendly snakes we have here. I have ventured out West a time or 2 dogging though. There are a few pests around & I will try them out. I like to be prepared for most anything.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
What are you gonna be using these for in WI? I don't think I saw a single snake up there the entire 10 years I lived there, or anytime in the 5 years since I moved. I've seen plenty down here in TX though. Using them on some pests with fur or feathers?

Bucks Owin

Hunter
GP100man":31nbbxlr said:
Bucks Owin

I purty sure the Max case holds 190grs. of #9 shot .

It`s accordin to what kind of powder ya use really & how much space is left .

I use & get good results with CLAYS.
Are you using a gascheck at both ends of the shot column or an overpowder wad of some kind?

GP100man

Buckeye
I use shot cards cut from cereal boxes , GCs make a big hole in the pattern !!

Let me add: I use a lee shell holder meant for trimmin to hold the case so I can spin it !
Drill the primer out , file notches in the mouth of the case , then sharpen with your chamfer tool !

Don`t notch too deep though or the "saw teeth" will bend on ya!!