.45 Colt Range Day report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
This gun only shot so-so and using 4 different bullets and 3 different powders did not seem to change it`s mind about being just so-so accuracy wise. After measuring the cylinder throats I found they were at .4515" or very close to that and the bore checks in at .452" .
I sent the cylinder off to cylindersmith.com to have the throats opened up to .4525" in hopes that would make it a shooter.

Today I shot this revolver with the same loads that I shot in it on the last trip to the range before the throats were reamed. The groups are less than half the size they were before reaming. :D :D :D

I am especially pleased with the heavy 335gr. Lyman GC bullets over Ruger only doses of
H4227 at 1125 + fps.
5 shots @ 25yd. rested.
IMG_1379_zps867507af.jpg

I make no claim to be a good pistol shot so when every load I shot today shot this well I was beside myself. :wink:

Rclark

Hunter
Yep! That's the way we like 'em. Nice and tight. Reaming the throats never hurts but it sure can help sometimes! Good news!

You must have some old powder as H4227 isn't manufactured any more... I do like how IMR 4227 works in my .45s though. I like 20g under 255g SWC .... But have found that gets rather expensive for general shooting (otherwise I'd use it all the time).... So now its 7g of Green Dot under the SWC or 250g RNFP.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
CMH, oops !! I forgot!! Redhawk 7 1/2" .45 Colt

Rclark , Yes, that is some old powder. I will be switching over to IMR when it is gone.
Hodgdon`s annual manual still calls for it in these loads though.
Also shot some Hornady 250 and 300 gr. XTP`s today with excellent results pushed to mid "Ruger only" levels. It is going to be hard to settle on a load for hunting but I do favor the heavy cast bullets. Maybe I will use up those 300 gr. XTP`s on varmints.
They should be hard on sage rats. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Smee781

Single-Sixer
I will jump in on this saying that it is hard to beat a good day at the range with a 7 1/2 RedHawk in 45C, I love mine and cant wait to get my new reamer out and do all three of my 45C Rugers. I also hope to one day find a nice used 4" model sitting in my used section of my LGS but am not holding my breath. Congrats to the OP on his new groups.

Latest posts