.45 Colt +P Load?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

72Flattop

Bearcat
I recently picked up a new Ruger Bisley 7 1/2"bbl in .45 Colt and want to take it whitetail hunting. As you are all probably painfully aware ... ammo and reloading components are very hard to come by. Other than $2.50 per round Corbon and Buffalo Bores I can't find any suitable hunting rounds. So, let's reload ... problem gets even harder with no powder or primers available.

Here's my current situation: I have new .45 Colt Starline brass, CCI large pistol magnum primers, 250gr Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullets, and 1/2 pound of H110. Anyone have a recommended load with this combo? Would also appreciate comments on experienced accuracy/lead fouling with these loads.

Thanks

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Hodgdon might be a good place to start. data.hodgdon.com

I've not used H110, but I do use CCI-350's with my Lil'Gun loadings. Using lead bullets with jacketed recipes is generally safe and will usually show less pressure and more speed than the jacketed loading.

250 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon H110 .452" 1.600" 25.7 1398 27,000 CUP 26.5 1455 29,800 CUP

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
H110 really shines with heavy for caliber bullets but is not a powder to play with unless you know specific load data. Ssee Hodgdons site for warnings about using reduced loads of H110. Have not tried Oregon Trail bullets so don't know the hardness or leading properties at 1400fps. Their website site says to Email for load data and I would definately suggest you do so. Sorry I can't help more.

Dana

Enigma

Hunter
45Colt_Man":3l62zeo1 said:
H110 really shines with heavy for caliber bullets but is not a powder to play with unless you know specific load data. Ssee Hodgdons site for warnings about using reduced loads of H110. Have not tried Oregon Trail bullets so don't know the hardness or leading properties at 1400fps. Their website site says to Email for load data and I would definately suggest you do so. Sorry I can't help more.

Dana

Oregon Trail bullets are harder than woodpecker lips - too hard, IMHO, for anything other than 'Ruger Only' .45 Colt loads. As stated above, see Hodgdon's website for load data.

The hard 'crayon' lube that OT uses may, or may not, be adequate for the purpose. If not, then I recommend adding a coat of Lee Liquid Alox to the bullets before loading.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
The OT Manual recommends 19.2g H110 and a WLP as a maximum load with a 255 SWC for 932 fps and calls that Ruger Only. They also note- DO NOT REDUCE.
All of their 250 RNFP load data is standard velocity/Cowboy Loads and they do not list H110.

The Lasercast Load manual is a good one and I would recommend it for anyone that shoots their bullets. I think it should be available from their website

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
I load 250gr XTP bullets on top of 25gr of H110 with winchester LP primers and its a thumper. Its actually less than the starting load listed in the Hornady manual but does the job nicely and outperforms the 44 mag.
I may bump it up to the starting load to see if it improves accuracy but the 25gr load is plenty accurate and it blasted through both shoulders of a 150lb pig and kept going and dropped the pig on the spot at 40 yards.
My 45 blackhawk has been customized some with a Super Blackhawk grip frame and red insert front sight and white outline rear. It also shoots excellent with the 45 acp cylinder I have for it.
They usually say that less than 90% of max loads using H110 does not work well.
You might try ordering some XTP's from midsouthshooterssupply.com or natchezss.com, or midwayusa.com

If you can get some 2400 powder, it works better at reduced loads on up to magnum levels.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Not sure what a "suitable hunting round for whitetail" should consist of but I expect that the average 150 lb deer would expire in short order with just about any .45 Colt load you would care to subject it to. We'd all be amazed and confounded to know how many runaway horses, crazed bulls, buffalo and other such 1000+ pound critters the old .45 with it's original black powder loading has handily dispatched. (Or the even "weaker" .44/40 for that matter) Heck, even Elmer has tales of such doin's with the old Remington 40 gr BP load. I wouldn't feel undergunned hunting deer with a "cowboy action load" personally if the range is kept reasonable. A 325 gr hard lead boolit over enough H-110 to get about 1250 fps would be my choice for an Alaskan packin' pistola but........Just musing, Dennis 8)

hutchman

Blackhawk
I have had severe leading problems with these bullets trying to use them for mid range loads and now only use them for hot loads. In my opinion they are unusable for anything less than full power Ruger Only Loads.

The Laser Cast loading info gives 19.2 grains of H110 as the max load and it states that this load should not be reduced.

Their loading info also gives a range of 18.9 - 19.8 grains when using 296. I have had decent luck using loads of 19.0 and 19.5 grand of 296.

My Speer Reloading Manual gives a range of 18.5 - 20.5. I have tried loads all the way up to 20.5 and found 20.3 to be the best for my Blackhawk. It seemed to be the most accurate with almost no leading...

And everyone is correct, these bullets are hard......

72Flattop

Bearcat
hutchman ... good info, thanks.

Was the Laser Cast Load info specific to Ruger Blackhawk, Bisley and T/C or was it for all .45 Colt applications. Since I'm limited to H110 I want just enough to launch without the leading.

I can't get any powder or primers over-the-counter here and those HAZMAT fees and shipping are killers for small orders. I was just trying to get the most from what I have on-hand and wait-out this shortage.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I had great a great accurate load with 25.7 h110 but it leaded my barrel horribly how ever that particular blackhawk had severe leading with every commercial cast bullet I believe the hardness and the size was to blame shooting a softer bullet and one that is sized for that gun leaves the barrel clean even with hot loads.

J Miller

Blackhawk
72Flattop":1usamnlt said:
I recently picked up a new Ruger Bisley 7 1/2"bbl in .45 Colt and want to take it whitetail hunting. As you are all probably painfully aware ... ammo and reloading components are very hard to come by. Other than $2.50 per round Corbon and Buffalo Bores I can't find any suitable hunting rounds. So, let's reload ... problem gets even harder with no powder or primers available.

Here's my current situation: I have new .45 Colt Starline brass, CCI large pistol magnum primers, 250gr Oregon Trail Laser Cast bullets, and 1/2 pound of H110. Anyone have a recommended load with this combo? Would also appreciate comments on experienced accuracy/lead fouling with these loads.

Thanks

Don't know what part of IL you are in, but if you are near Springfield, Bullet Express has powder and primers. Just picked up a pound of Unique and a 1000 Winchester WLP primers day before yesterday.

My experiences with bevel based bullets such as the Oregon Trail Laser Cast BBSWC has been dismal at best. Lots of leading due to the bevel base and extreme hardness. The bullets are WAY too hard for anything other than full power 30K PSI loads. Something you'll almost never need in a .45 Colt.
I have no experience with 296/H110 powder. Simply because I don't use ball powders in revolvers any more. I've burned out too many forcing cones with it.

Having said that, were I fortunate to be invited to hunt Bambi in IL, I'd take my Old Model BH and load up some 265 to 270gr Keith SWCs over 18.5grs of 2400. That load does produce the required 500 ft pds of muzzle energy that IL requires. Is very accurate in my revolver, and does not require a mag primer.

Joe

comanche

Bearcat
72'
I bought 1000 of OT's LaserCast 255s a few years ago.
300 to 400 rounds later....
I found that this H110 load shoots best in my 5.5" Rugers.

New or once fired Federal Case.
Oregon Trails Lasercast 255gr. SWC
CCI 350 primer (large magnum).
23.5gr H110.
nice, firm Roll Crimp.
OAL 1.600"

I have not noticed any excessive leading with this load. But my 45 Rugers have had their throats and forcing cones cut to proper dimensions for lead bullets.

Bonus: If you can find 2 deer side by side; I feel sure the bullet will pass thru both of them. "nothing penetrates like hard-cast lead."

hutchman

Blackhawk
72Flattop":pgcq690o said:
hutchman ... good info, thanks.

Was the Laser Cast Load info specific to Ruger Blackhawk, Bisley and T/C or was it for all .45 Colt applications. Since I'm limited to H110 I want just enough to launch without the leading.

I can't get any powder or primers over-the-counter here and those HAZMAT fees and shipping are killers for small orders. I was just trying to get the most from what I have on-hand and wait-out this shortage.

The loads quoted are "RUGER ONLY" loads. Should be fine in any Blackhawk. I shoot these in my 4 5/8 Blachhawk and my 5 1/2 Bisley.

These are not to be shot in a Colt or Colt clone...

andyo5

Single-Sixer
I have loaded as high as 22g of H110 with 250g lead bullets and got velocities over 1200fps in my Bisley. Leading was not bad at all. Be prepared for stout recoil and good accuracy. Use magnum primers with H110.
I find H110 promotes flame cutting in S&W revolvers, but for some reason not with Rugers.

GaSidewinder

Bearcat
I have loaded Hornady's XTP on top of H110 for whitetail hunting in Georgia but because of the many variables with the 45 colt would not want to share my data. I will say that I have used a Speer manual for years and carefully check my loads for excessive pressures.
I would make sure that whatever data you are using is safe for the gun you are shooting it in. If I were going to vary my loads from mild to hot with one powder I personally would use Unique. Unique doesn't seem to be a favorite on this forum but I have used it for 35 years and it will take a round from standard velocity to magnum speed with no problem. Of course I realize that you have to use what is available.

Gshepherd

Bearcat
Here's a load I used to carry while bear hunting in Alaska.

335 gr Cast Performance bullet (FNP)

and

19 Grains of Hodgdon Lil Gun

Pretty stout load, and very accurate.

I just can't find the powder or primers anymore...

Good luck

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
For this years Alaska trip, I left my .454 home and loaded Cast Performance LBT style heat-treated 300g LFNGC in new Starline nickel plated brass, with Winchester WLP primers. I didn't see loads listed in what I had so I called "Mike" at Cast Performance to see how I could use my WW296 powder. He said to start with 20g up to Max of 23g. I settled on 22g. This worked fine in my 4 5/8" Blackhawk. I would consider it a "stout" load.

Next trip however, I'm going back to my Super Redhawk with the Buffalo Bore 360g at 1425fps....

72Flattop

Bearcat
J Miller":fvk90erm said:
72Flattop":fvk90erm said:

Thanks

Don't know what part of IL you are in, but if you are near Springfield, Bullet Express has powder and primers. Just picked up a pound of Unique and a 1000 Winchester WLP primers day before yesterday.

My experiences with bevel based bullets such as the Oregon Trail Laser Cast BBSWC has been dismal at best. Lots of leading due to the bevel base and extreme hardness. The bullets are WAY too hard for anything other than full power 30K PSI loads. Something you'll almost never need in a .45 Colt.
I have no experience with 296/H110 powder. Simply because I don't use ball powders in revolvers any more. I've burned out too many forcing cones with it.

Having said that, were I fortunate to be invited to hunt Bambi in IL, I'd take my Old Model BH and load up some 265 to 270gr Keith SWCs over 18.5grs of 2400. That load does produce the required 500 ft pds of muzzle energy that IL requires. Is very accurate in my revolver, and does not require a mag primer.

Joe

Joe, I'm about 100 miles South of Springfield and may plan a trip this weekend. Quick question ... If you're from IL why would you need an invite to hunt Bambi? :D

Bucks Owin

Hunter
GaSidewinder":1agrr9fw said:
Unique doesn't seem to be a favorite on this forum but I have used it for 35 years and it will take a round from standard velocity to magnum speed with no problem.
"Magnum speed" requires "magnum pressures" and Unique is best suited for pressures in the 14 to 18K range. A "magnum load" in the .44 mag may run pressures over 40K (CUP) thus the use of powders better suited to those pressures like H-110 or W-296. I like Unique too but not for wringing the maximum fps out of a "magnum" case....Dennis (BTW Joe, yesterday I tested a load of 17.5 grs of (old Hercules) 2400 under a 250 gr XTP in my .45 BH. Velocity was less than I expected (under 900 fps) but those XTP bullets can penetrate pretty good. I use an old plastic ice chest packed tight with old phonebooks (then soaked with water which swells them even tighter) to catch my lead bullets for "recycling". It stops my 255 gr lead bullet load at 1160 fps and any .357 bullet I've shot at it so far. At 25 yds, that .45 XTP (not "XTPmag") went through the cooler with 20" of tight packed wet newsprint in it and I found it lying on the ground after bouncing off a 4x4 post. It didn't expand at that velocity in that medium, just tore up the jacket at the nose somewhat, but that is good penetration I'd say. Next step is to speed them up and try some wet sawdust....)

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
I emailed them in February of this year and this is part of the reply...

"Our bullets are right at 24 BHN. Thanks so much.
Oregon Trail Bullet Company"

You're right; they're hard.
I suppose for deer-hunting, I'd be totally happy with 1000 fps. However, you really need to obturate those bullets a bit to fill the bore if you're going to get good accuracy, so that would take higher velocity. And with bevel-base bullets, you will get more leading.
I use bevel-base quite often myself, from Moyer's in PA, although mine are 15 BHN and I don't see significant leading in my 900 fps loads.

Gosh, maybe you need to buy a couple of hundred bullets of proper hardness and sell those hard ones you have if you're light on cash. You could likely sell them right here on this forum. One Priority mailing box for about 10 bucks and you can ship them to the buyer.
Or just put those hard bullets away for a rainy day.
I just can't see loading up 1300 fps loads for whitetail. The excess recoil and blast would be totally unnecessary.
I have shot Leadheads bullets at 1000 fps that I classed as "pleasant." That was actually FUN shooting those 273 gr bullets at that velocity, and those would just blow through about three deer in a row, if they were standing next to each other.