.45 Colt +P Load?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

72Flattop

Bearcat
Well, I broke down and invested in some Cast Performance LRNFP in 325gr. Hodgdon has this bullet listed on their load data page using H110 and LP Mag Primers. Start grains for the 325gr is 21.0 and will give 1109 fps, with 18,100 CUP. The bullet is a bit heavy for whitetail, but will do the job even if I hit the hoof or tail. :lol:

flatgate

Hawkeye
It's interesting to see all the different loads posted here. So and so lists xx grains of H110 as Max but Brand X sez yy grains is the max load.

One other trend I've noticed is a general reduction in what "they" publish as max loads.

The "old school" classic .44 mag load was a 240 grain jacketed bullet over 24.0 grains of WW-296. I've been using LBT style, gas checked 300 grain bullets loaded over 22.0 grains of WW-296 for over 20 years in my Ruger .44's.......

My load in my guns, of course.

flatgate

hutchman

Blackhawk
I've noticed the same thing which brings up the question of downloading W296/H110. It is common knowledge that you are not supposed to download the powers for reduced loads. I think the figure I've seen is 3% less than max for starting loads. Yet, we find loads published from different sources that are much more than 3% apart for similar bullets.

The other issue is newer manuals give max loads that are less than max loads from the same company in older manuals. I have seen several explanations for that, but the one that makes the most sense to me is that they now have more accurate pressure measurements and have therefore reduced loads somewhat.

Rclark

Hunter
yesterday I tested a load of 17.5 grs of (old Hercules) 2400 under a 250 gr XTP in my .45 BH....under 900 fps)
My 7th Hornady manual 250g XTP (RUGER BH/TC ONLY) ... shows 19.7g as start for 1150fps up to 20.6 for 1250 max..... These were out of a 10" barrel... so expect less.... I've shot 19g loads with this bullet in my 5 1/2" BH but never chrono'ed them. Was a stiff load for me. First time I let one off I got tagged with hammer on back of thumb.... drew some blood. So much for 'let it roll' .... ;) .

Onty

Single-Sixer
Rclark":rb0w4j9f said:
yesterday I tested a load of 17.5 grs of (old Hercules) 2400 under a 250 gr XTP in my .45 BH....under 900 fps)
My 7th Hornady manual 250g XTP (RUGER BH/TC ONLY) ... shows 19.7g as start for 1150fps up to 20.6 for 1250 max..... These were out of a 10" barrel... so expect less.... I've shot 19g loads with this bullet in my 5 1/2" BH but never chrono'ed them. Was a stiff load for me. First time I let one off I got tagged with hammer on back of thumb.... drew some blood. So much for 'let it roll' .... ;) .

Did you try Bisley with this load? You might find that Bisley grip works much better for this kind of ammo. I use to shoot 45-325-SWC using 22 gr of H4227. This is stiff load and when I fired few dozen rounds in a day I got tingling in my hands, but I never had situation hammer biting me.

Onty

Single-Sixer
Rclark":3jeg2jw1 said:

Did you try Bisley with this load? You might find that Bisley grip works much better for this kind of ammo. I use to shoot 45-325-SWC using 22 gr of H4227 from Bisley with 7.5 barrel. This is stiff load and when I fired few dozen rounds in a day I got tingling in my hands, but I never had situation hammer biting me.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Rclark":1m2vy467 said:
Hmmm..."Let it roll" doesn't mean "hold it loosely". There was a reprint of one of ol' Skeeter's articles in "Shooting Times" this summer called "Fear Not The Kicking Mule" which tells how to "choke down" on the big thumpers with "plowhandle" gripframes. 1250 fps from a 250 gr bullet is stiff but no worse than a .44 mag 240 @ 1400. Probably most of us get bumped in the middle finger by the trigger guard with hard kicking rounds. (Thus the "red" gripframe) To let the gun "roll back" to where the hammer bites you means you likely need to hold on tighter! But, as "Bubba Clinton" would say "Ah feel yore pain" :lol: JMO, Dennis :wink: Oh, BTW, seems to me that somewhere I read Elmer thought 20 grs of 2400 under his bullet was about right in a .45 Blackhawk.....We'll see. On the lighter side for testing are some 200 gr LSWC over PB for my 12 yr old. Looking for an accurate "plinker" in the 850 fps area....

Rclark

Hunter
To let the gun "roll back" to where the hammer bites you means you likely need to hold on tighter!
Oh, believe me ... I did for the second and subsequent rounds :D . Not a problem. Just was used to the lighter/medium loads I was shooting at the time :eek: .