.45 Colt hunting loads for Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Longcarbine

Single-Sixer
I just purchased a 5 1/2" Bisley Blackhawk in .45 colt and plan to load some faster high pressure rounds for it to use this hunting season. I also purchased a 4" Redhawk .45 colt/ACP, will the Redhawk handle those same high pressure loads.

smith1961

Blackhawk
If a Blackhawk can shoot it, so can a Redhawk................But you decide;

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=287918
:lol:

contender

Ruger Guru
As a big fan of the 45 cal Rugers, yes,, both gun can handle the same loads.

However,, for hunting,, you mentioned; "plan to load some faster high pressure rounds for it to use" and I wish to ask; What are you hunting, and what kind of high pressure loads are you concerned about?"
I went on an elk hunt this past season, and all I took was .45 cal handguns.
I cast my own bullets, and PC them. I load & shoot these rounds for accuracy,, and they are moving under 1200 fps. I'd have NO issues using them on anything in North America. I'm using a 280 grn solid Miha design, (454-640) bullet.
In my experience,, and following that of many other well experienced hunters,, this type of bullet & velocity will handle all of the game I can hunt easily. High pressure, (your words) ammo makes me wonder.
Can you explain?

Longcarbine

Single-Sixer
contender said:
As a big fan of the 45 cal Rugers, yes,, both gun can handle the same loads.

However,, for hunting,, you mentioned; "plan to load some faster high pressure rounds for it to use" and I wish to ask; What are you hunting, and what kind of high pressure loads are you concerned about?"
I went on an elk hunt this past season, and all I took was .45 cal handguns.
I cast my own bullets, and PC them. I load & shoot these rounds for accuracy,, and they are moving under 1200 fps. I'd have NO issues using them on anything in North America. I'm using a 280 grn solid Miha design, (454-640) bullet.
In my experience,, and following that of many other well experienced hunters,, this type of bullet & velocity will handle all of the game I can hunt easily. High pressure, (your words) ammo makes me wonder.
Can you explain?
I will be loading 250gr XTP's and Speer Deep Curls for deer. I dont need it to be over the top fast but I want it fast enough to expand.

veeman

Single-Sixer
You'll have to try different loads to see what your gun likes best. That being said, in my opinion, it doesn't take alot to kill deer. Anything over 850fps is just bashing your hand and gun unnecessarily. Try 7.5 Unique, should be all you need.

sixshot

Buckeye
As mentioned, deer aren't hard to kill, just hit them in the right spot with a good bullet & you'll be eating backstraps. If you're going to use Unique, which is a very good powder I would start at about 8.0 grs & work up .5 gr at a time. What you want to happen is for your groups to shrink & when they start to open back up, then stop, you've found your sweet spot. Don't go beyond 10 grs with Unique.
If that doesn't work switch to 2400 & start at about 17 grs & do the same thing, look for your groups to shrink & when the start to open up, stop. Don't go beyond about 20 grs, there are better powders if you need to go beyond that with 2400 in the 45 Colt.
18.5 grs of 2400 is a very popular load in the old 45 with 250-260 gr bullets & standard primers. The Ruger Blackhawk is a very strong gun, the Redhawk is even stronger, but its best to shoot a load that you are comfortable with & you should find it with one of the 2 powders above.

Dick

Onty

Single-Sixer
daveg.inkc said:
Also AA#9. And IMR 4227. I load all 4 of these mentioned powders for a scoped 7.5" Stainless Blackhawk.
I would be very careful using IMR 4227. First check cylinder to barrel gap. If you have .005-.006", you might be OK. But you MUST load at least dozen or more cartridges and try them, just to make sure that bird seed from that powder wouldn't lock cylinder. If the gap is .003 or less, I wouldn't even consider IMR 4227. JMHO.

Rclark

Hunter
I've used plenty of 4227 and also no problems encountered in .45 Colt (and some other cartridges). I've always used a magnum primer with it. 20g under a 255g SWC shot very well for me. Only reason I don't use it 'generally' is 20g is a lot of powder compared to say 7g of Green Dot :) .

sixshot

Buckeye
Agreed on the 20 grs of 4227 in 45 Colts. That's a long time favorite with many 45 shooters & as mentioned light it with a magnum primer for a cleaner burn. Many, many Silhouette shooters loved that load back in the day, me being one of them.

Dick

Onty

Single-Sixer
I had 45 Bisley, and one cylinder (I bought it with with 3 cylinders; two 45 Colt (one fluted) and one 45ACP). One 45 Colt cylinder had a gap .002" VERY TIGHT. Bullet was 325, using stiff load of 4227 (for legal reasons I am not going to publish load), I think primer was WLP. In half of cases cylinder will be locked with bird seed. Other 45 Colt cylinder had gap .006, and I didn't have a problem. For that reason, if i ever want custom revolver for hunting or self-defense, gap should be .004-.006". JMHO.

Latest posts