45 Colt + HS6 mid-level load data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I've been mostly shooting full power Lil'Gun loads in my 45 Colt, but I don't get out enough to shoot (like I would like) and want to turn down the heat some for this year's hunting season(s). I have H4227, which I really liked at about 20 grains, but it was a bit dirty. I've heard many good things about HS6 in this mid-range load level and wanted to know if anyone had a real sweet shooting load in the 1000-1100 fps range. Hodgdon claims ~950 fps in the SAAMI load level using 10.5 gr so my goal isn't too far off. I have Hodgdon #26 laying on the bench at home as well.

Any suggestions?

catfish621

Single-Sixer
With the rcbs 270 saa and 13 gr. I get around 1050 fps. Plenty of power. 11.5 grs. is more fun to shoot.

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
I too am very interested in developing .45 Colt loads with HS-6. But more for the "low end" of the scale, perhaps 800 - 950 fps. I've been using up my supply of Unique and (despite what the "experts" say about this powder) it is just plain dirty. New or old. Pressure or no pressure. I shot a bunch of 8.0 and then 10.0 gr loads in my OM Blackhawk and have decided to try something else. Unique is often called "dirt" and there is good reason for that. So HS-6 looks like a good option. I'll be looking for some comments on using this powder in the old Colt cartridge. Gerry

J Miller

Blackhawk
gerryb158":3fyurixr said:
I too am very interested in developing .45 Colt loads with HS-6. But more for the "low end" of the scale, perhaps 800 - 950 fps. I've been using up my supply of Unique and (despite what the "experts" say about this powder) it is just plain dirty. New or old. Pressure or no pressure. I shot a bunch of 8.0 and then 10.0 gr loads in my OM Blackhawk and have decided to try something else. Unique is often called "dirt" and there is good reason for that. So HS-6 looks like a good option. I'll be looking for some comments on using this powder in the old Colt cartridge. Gerry

Gerry,

If you are so dissatisfied with Unique, please send the rest of your supply my way. I've never heard it called "dirt" until your post and I've been using it for almost 40 years. Although I do not consider myself an X-spurt I do have to disagree with you.

Unique is a great powder and is no more dirty than many others out there.
In all seriousness if you think it's dirty, shoot some real black powder and compare them.

One more thing, Unique will react with certain bullet lubes and create a really greasy residue that is a big PITA to clean. RCBS rifle lube is the worst I've used. A session with Unique and that stuff will gum up a tight fitted revolver.

Take Care, Joe

PS; Feel free to PM me for my address to ship the Unique too :D

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Here's Hodgdon's data. I've never used HS-6, just Universal, H4227, and Lil'Gun and liked them all. H4227 is a bit dirty at reduced loads, but shot well. Univeral too is dirtier at reduced loads. I think a lot of the dirtiness comes from not expanding the case enough to seal the chambers upon firing. There was some particles left over as well.

250 GR. CAST LRNFP Hodgdon HS-6 .452" 1.600" 9.0 787 7,800 CUP 10.5 946 13,300 CUP

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
Joe, I haven't got enough Unique left over to make it worthwhile shipping it to yu. But thanks for the offer! Surprised you never heard of "dirt" as I read this comment on this forum often enough. I too have been reloading about 40 or more years and I used Unique from day one. I just guess I'm a slow learner. Black powder is sure dirtier than Unique, on that we agree. I stopped using Unique in my auto pistol loads quite a few years ago because of the "dirt" and all the unburned grains left in the mechanism of the pistols. I guess my point is that in the past forty years the manufacturers have come up with some "new" powders that perform as well as, or better, than Unique. I am not adverse to improvements in the technology. HS-6, Universal and Power Pistol are just a couple examples. And BTW, those 10.0 gr Unique .45 Colt loads do seal the cartridge case to the chamber! That way all the unburned stuff ends up back in my ammo boxes with the empties! Actually I love all this stuff and even have some room left for a bit of "dirt" now and then! Particles left over - for sure! Gerry

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
My favorite .45 Colt load using HS6 is 11.5 grs under either a 250 gr LRNFP or a 255 gr LSWC. No chrony so don''t know the velocity. It's not a barn burner but it sure aint no cowboy load :)

gerryb158

Single-Sixer
I loaded two boxes (100) .45 Colt with 11.0 gr HS-6 and 255 gr LSWC. I hope these will be a sort of "moderate" load I'm looking for as I will use them in a new USFA SAA, not in the Blackhawk. Now it's just a matter of getting to the range. I'll try to find time to do some chronograph tests to see what range I'm in. Incidentally, my old Speer manual says to use magnum primers with this load so I used CCI 350. !!.0 gr of HS-6 does not take up much room in the .45 Colt case so a bit extra flash probably helps. Hope it's nice and clean! Gerry

J Miller

Blackhawk
gerryb158,

I've heard the "Unique is dirty" comments for decades, just not the "dirt" variation.
As for me, I'm kind of a stick in the mud. If it works, I don't change it. And Unique has worked for me since I loaded my first .45 Colt round. I must hold my mouth different than other folks cos I just don't have the dirty results others say they do.

One of the cleanest powders I've ever used in the .45s, Colt and ACP is DuPont IMR PB. Well, it's Hodgdon's IMR PB now. That is one of the cleanest burning powders I know of. I don't use much of it cos until recently it only came in 1/2 pound containers.

Joe

Rclark

Hunter
As for me, I'm kind of a stick in the mud. If it works, I don't change it. And Unique has worked for me since I loaded my first .45 Colt round. I must hold my mouth different than other folks cos I just don't have the dirty results others say they do.
Took the words right out of my mouth :) . But then I only have Single Actions .... no semi-auto pistols to worry about . Unique, 2400, Trail Boss..... All I load with these days....

And primers... I'll take what ever I get my hands on... magnum or regular....

dougader

Hunter
Well, I never thought HS-6 was very clean, either, especially in lower pressure loadings. I used it in 9mm and 9mm +P loads and even with rifle primers there was always scads of unburned granules all over the inside of my gun.

I much prefer Unique to HS-6, even if it does smoke a bit more. Soot from Unique is easier to clean, IMO, than all the unburned powder when using HS-6.

If I was looking for a cleaner all around powder I'd take a look at Hodgdon Universal or Vihtavuori 340 or 350.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I traded the 45 Redhawk for a Springfield Armory 1911 in 40 S&W; all the dinosaurs around the house were dead.
I even got rid of the 5.5" 357 and 41, but I kept the 5.5" 44 and 7.5" 357 (my USPSA guns, among other uses...).

It was easy.
I mean, how many surgeries does it take to figure out?
335s at 1300......

(Apparently, three on the stron arm and so far two on the weak side.)

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I recently tried a Linebaugh "starting load" of 14 grs of HS-6 behind a 255 gr lead Hornady "cowboy" boolit. It churned up 1130 fps av vel and, FWIW, handily penetrated 2 one gallon jugs of water then 12 inches of wet phonebooks ....(Win cases and primers)

bchannell

Bearcat
I just shot some loads in my Ruger consisting of 9.3gr HS6 behind a 255 gr LRNFP bullet and it shot fantastic groups of nearly one ragged hole, with very light recoil. One sweet shooting load, now I think I'll pump it up a bit and see how it works at higher speeds. I love Unique, but HS6 is good too.

comanche

Bearcat
HS-6 is one of my favorite pistol powders.
13gr. of HS-6 in a Federal case w/ a WLP primer pushing an Oregon Trails LaserCast 255gr. SWC is a very good moderate Blackhawk load. approx. 1100fps.
It shoots quite well in my Blackhawks and Vaqueros.
I don't think I would use it in any other pistols, including the New Vaquero.
11grs with LazerCast's 300gr FP is nice also.
Nothing penetrates quite like hard cast lead.

zacharoo

Bearcat
I haven't used HS6 but I do use HS7. I use ww brass WLP primers and 14 grains of HS7 under 255gr. oregon Trail .452. Don't know how fast but a very good accurate load in my blackhawks.

Zacharoo