45 Colt Hammer.... almost there...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Snyd

Single-Sixer
Well, I've been trying to get a load dialed in with this 355gr Hammer boolit. I got my hands on this custom LBT mould last summer. I didn't get any cast until October and then didn't get any sized, lubed and gas checked until last week. I had 9 of the bullets left that were lubed and checked that came with the mould. I shot those in my SBH a few weeks back. Not too good a group at 25yds with a scope. But, the SBH has a .451 bore and .4515 throats. I've got a reamer coming and will ream them to .4525. The load is 21gr H110.
A few weeks ago, needs a little work...
sbh_350.jpg

I loaded up two loads with two different lubes. 12 dipped in Lee Liquid Alox and 12 pan lubed with a beeswax base lube I made "blue lube" I call it. 21 and 21.5gr H110. I just got the 4" Redhawk back from Ruger (another story) and needed to put some full house rounds through it. The bore is .451, throats have been reamed to .4525, boolits are .452. I must say I was pretty discouraged until my last round of six. The first 12 21gr loads I was shooting all over the place. Probably 8 inch groups. I think it was a combination of things, the common denominator being me, my grip, how I was resting the gun, etc. Then I seem to start to settle down and get used to the recoil of these heavy loads. The 21.5gr load seemed to shoot better as well. Here's what I ended up with. It looks like the Alox lubed rounds are more accurate than the blue lube rounds. But, I'll do some more testing to see how much of it is me. I am noticing though that in my last few times at the range I seem to be shooting left. Even with 38's. SA and DA. Gonna have to check my finger position and grip I think.

Next time out will be with the SBH with the throats reamed and I'll be shooting with a scope. I'll load up the 21.5 gr. with the two types of lube and see what I get. I'm getting close to getting the Hammer dialed in! Here's pics of today after pulled to together somewhat. I think the Hammer is going to work.
Today, getting there with a couple rounds...
355_01.jpg

Here we go. It's coming together.

355_02.jpg

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Looks good for most civil work. I don't see the 4"er engaging anything at 125 yards, so you should be very happy.

wildwillalaska

Single-Sixer
Snyd--let me know if I can help test out those boolits for you. Since your original post over on the AK forum--I have fallen in love with that boolit.

Snyd

Single-Sixer
wildwillalaska":39ckc6dz said:
Snyd--let me know if I can help test out those boolits for you. Since your original post over on the AK forum--I have fallen in love with that boolit.

I'm sure we can work something out.