.45 Colt case neck expansion die size?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
On my Dillon setup the case neck or powder dump die expander die measures .447 and have been using this one for several years. So with a .452 sized bullet is .005 tension about right or too tight?
Every now and then I may give it a slight quick polish with 800 or 1000 grit emory paper to slick it up
after a lot of use.

contender

Ruger Guru
It depends upon the brass,, AND what bullet you are using. Cast vs. jacketed. Plus,, the amount of crimp you use.
Only your experiences and firearm can tell you what works the best.

There are many variants as to what to do.
SASS shooters, using cast bullets,, moving at light velocities,, require different things than a guy using a jacketed bullet, at a high velocity for hunting.
Add in the variations of chamber throats in the 45 Colts, and how folks match bullets size to the gun, and then the expander can be important.

As you can see, not as simple an answer as you might hope for.

BUT,,, if your gun and loads are performing to your liking, and no seating issues are apparent,, I'd say you are ok.

mikld

Blackhawk
Recheck your post. :oops: If your expander is .457" and your bullets are .452", the bullets will prolly fall in/out of the case. But I haven't used any Dillon dies...

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I like my expander buttons for .452" cast bullets at least 4-5 thou smaller, for a good bullet pull/hold on it. My lee sets came with .450" buttons which in my view is too big. Jacketed bullets would be even less pull at .001" in the difference. I custom ordered a .447" button to have tighter pull, which is advantages with a good crimp, to get better ignition/pressure from the powder...
I think Lee makes their buttons sized at .450" to work with .454" sized bullets, but most modern guns use a .452" cast bullet...

Just another thought here, in handloading the smaller pistol calibres like .32, at least 2-3 thou smaller is acceptable because the bullets are lighter weight of course...

Mus408

Hunter
mikld said:
Recheck your post. :oops: If your expander is .457" and your bullets are .452", the bullets will prolly fall in/out of the case. But I haven't used any Dillon dies...

Yeah you caught it...thanks! That would be .447

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Mus408 said:
mikld said:

Yeah you caught it...thanks! That would be .447
So why don't you change it? There is an 'edit' button on your original post that you should be able to see. :D

btw - Neck sizing, chamber size, bore diameter, throat size, etc. are some of the reasons I don't do .45 colt. The other calibers don't have near as many problems with that stuff, not that it doesn't happen, just not as bad. :D

^^^^^^^ The challenges of loading are minimal to the fun of shooting the bigger bores. I have very few issues when I load. Of course I'm old fashioned and use a Rock Chucker not one of those fancy progressives!

mikld

Blackhawk
For my 45 Colt cast bullet (BHN approx 11) reloads I use my RCBS .451" expander. Not swaging, or shaving my .453" bullets. No leading to speak of in Cimarron SAA clone...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
jimbo1096 said:
^^^^^^^ The challenges of loading are minimal to the fun of shooting the bigger bores.
I load and shoot a lot of .44 magnums and .44 specials as well as some .41 magnums. Besides all the variables found with the .45 colt's sizing and bullets let's not forget the biggest one, the pressure differences with different guns. I don't need all that variation when reloading to make big holes in stuff. Just my opinion and I don't expect everyone or anyone to agree but that is why I don't load or shoot the .45 colt.

mikld

Blackhawk
I reloaded and shot 44 Magnums and Specials since '88, and I have 5 guns in that caliber. But I recently saw a SAA clone on sale and bought it (another "I need one of those" moments). I've found the 45 Colt no more challenging than any of my 44 loads (I have reloaded everything from 123 gr. balls over a dusting of Bullseye to a 310 gr ingot over near max loads of WC 820). My manuals do have "Ruger/Contender only loads" sections, but I stay away from them. I slug and measure all the guns I reload for and my Cimarron is no exception, so I have no problems loading for it...

Latest posts